ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
Dune Rider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Dumont Dunes / Death Valley Camp 'N Ride Dual Sport Run

Camp at Dumont Dunes at the Little Dunes right off of Hwy 127 - 30 miles north of Baker, CA. We'll play in the sand and do dual sport rides exploring the local ghost towns and mines. One day, we'll do a day long ride deep into Death Valley.
Dumont has open camping with a $30 per week permit which can be purchased in Baker. There are restrooms but no water.
At this time, I'm looking to go from Thurs, Oct 23rd thru the weekend... dates are adjustable depending on those that are going.
All levels are welcome though dual sport bikes must be plated to ride out of the area into Death Valley exploring and trips on the pavement.
Directions: From the I 15 freeway exit on either the first or second off ramp at Baker. Travel north on Hwy 127 for 30 miles and look right for the entrance to the Small Dunes, and I will post a sign at the entrance on Hwy 127. Drive past the restroom and turn right carefully on the sand, stay off the dunes, we will be a few hundred yards south. I will be in a white Chevy truck with a white box trailer.

Bring: The usual food, water and camping gear and also bring a couple of good flash lights if you want to explore the old mines. Tents work well here. The nights will be mild and the days are expected to be in the mid to high 80’s.

Bike Fuel Range: Fuel range is not a problem for the short rides but on the long ride into Death Valley your bike should be able to travel at least 125 miles or bring extra gas. We can refuel at Furnace Creek and Shoshone.

Dune Rider screwed with this post 10-07-2014 at 02:29 PM Reason: Font color
Dune Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
Dune Rider OP
Adventurer

Update

This will be a great DV riding season opener. Ride during the day and set around the campfire at night or go to Tecopa Hot Springs for a soak. We'll stop at the Crowbar Café on the way back from the long DV ride for dinner. So far we have around nine going between the Big Bear Trail Riders, So Cal Dirt Bike Meetup, and the OC Trail Riders Meetup Group. The weather is looking awesome!
Old 10-17-2014, 12:20 AM   #3
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
I wish this was a week or two later....
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Dune Rider OP
Adventurer

There are so many fun things to do and see there, we go several times in the fall and spring. I'll post when we plan another trip. It might be in mid November.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
benwiggin2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,095
I'll stay tuned for the next one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune Rider View Post
There are so many fun things to do and see there, we go several times in the fall and spring. I'll post when we plan another trip. It might be in mid November.
benwiggin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:35 PM   #6
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,455
I may be down for a trip to the desert in november !
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
Dune Rider OP
Adventurer

Trip Report

The trip went from Thursday thru Sunday with 8 people showing up over the 4 days.
On the positive side, this was a great opportunity for riders new to the Death Valley area to see some interesting sights. We rode up the Sperry Wash to the War Eagle mine. At the mine we walked deep into it and down to a lower level. After that we took a break at the China Ranch date farm and had cold date shakes. The next day we rode the Harry Wade Road to Ashford Mill and on to the West Side Road to Furnace Creek. The rest of the ride was on pavement to Shoshone for dinner at the Crowbar Café. Then it was back to camp for the night. The rest of the time we rode in the dunes on sand toys and bikes with paddles.

On the negative side, when we were on the last 3 miles of the West Side Rd, one rider failed to make a curve and hit the dirt berm and ditch crashing out into the desert. His injuries required an airlift to Las Vegas where he is now. He sustained head, neck, and back injuries, that will take awhile to heal. This is a good example as to why we should have insurance that will cover this kind of accident and the airlift to the hospital.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune Rider View Post
The trip went from Thursday thru Sunday with 8 people showing up over the 4 days.
On the positive side, this was a great opportunity for riders new to the Death Valley area to see some interesting sights. We rode up the Sperry Wash to the War Eagle mine. At the mine we walked deep into it and down to a lower level. After that we took a break at the China Ranch date farm and had cold date shakes. The next day we rode the Harry Wade Road to Ashford Mill and on to the West Side Road to Furnace Creek. The rest of the ride was on pavement to Shoshone for dinner at the Crowbar Café. Then it was back to camp for the night. The rest of the time we rode in the dunes on sand toys and bikes with paddles.

On the negative side, when we were on the last 3 miles of the West Side Rd, one rider failed to make a curve and hit the dirt berm and ditch crashing out into the desert. His injuries required an airlift to Las Vegas where he is now. He sustained head, neck, and back injuries, that will take awhile to heal. This is a good example as to why we should have insurance that will cover this kind of accident and the airlift to the hospital.
Really sorry to here about your riding buddy. That is exactly why I have spot with SAR benefit.
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is offline   Reply With Quote