User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
rmcelroy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Question dual sport comparison

Hey guys, I am looking for a bike that I can take almost anywhere (let's say 65% street, 20% track, 15%dirt). I would primarily just be doing weekend twisty riding/exploring. So I figured I would check out some dual sports. A couple bikes have really caught my eye so far, specifically, the KTM 690 Enduro R and the Husqvarna TE650 Terra.

I just have a couple of questions that maybe you guys could help me answer:

First off, do you think I am going in the right direction with looking at those two bikes, based on what I said I wanted?
I have not seen too much info on taking those bikes onto race tracks... I dont know if anyone here has done any track riding with dual sports... so maybe someone could tell me if I am out of bounds.

Secondly, would you say those bikes are comparable? Are there better options I should be exploring? (either from those manufacturers or from others) I would appreciate just some general feedback about either one of those bikes (it would be awesome if there could be some comparison made between them)

I only know what I have seen on paper, which is basically that the KTM cost about 3 grand more, but you are going to get what you pay for. It is lighter, has more HP, more suspension travel, higher seat height/ground clearance... I would like to hear from some owners to see what their opinions are though.

thanks guys!
rmcelroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,772
For what you're looking for, I'd go with something like the KTM 500 EXC or Husky TE 511.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Cobain
night owl

Oddometer: 132
Your going to ride a dual-sport on the track?
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
rmcelroy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
For what you're looking for, I'd go with something like the KTM 500 EXC or Husky TE 511.

yea, the TE511 also popped up on my radar...

one thing I didnt understand about that bike vs the 650 Terra is the price. It seems that in just about every aspect you would get more bike with the Terra, however the TE511 costs about 2 grand more. I know there must be some reasoning behind it... can you explain?

the ktm 500 exc appears to be about a grand cheaper than the 690 enduro r. that makes perfect sense to be... less bike, less money.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
rmcelroy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobain View Post
Your going to ride a dual-sport on the track?
that was the plan. (road tracks) change out the tires of course... and keep it on fairly small tracks. there is a small 1.4 mi track fairly close by that I think it would be great on.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
StolenFant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
The Husky TE's have had the SM (Supermotard) sister bikes for many years. The SM's are insane quick on tracks. Not much difference nineteen the SM and TE except suspension length, and then still not much. I've got a TE 610
Rode an SM. Husky would be my choice. The newer Husky is MUCH heavier.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #7
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcelroy View Post
yea, the TE511 also popped up on my radar...

one thing I didnt understand about that bike vs the 650 Terra is the price. It seems that in just about every aspect you would get more bike with the Terra, however the TE511 costs about 2 grand more. I know there must be some reasoning behind it... can you explain?

the ktm 500 exc appears to be about a grand cheaper than the 690 enduro r. that makes perfect sense to be... less bike, less money.

The Terra has an engine made in China for one. They use pretty cheap parts on it compared to the TE or the KTM's.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Depending on if you live in a dryer or wetter region, a supermoto would fit your riding needs and terrain breakdown perfectly.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Take the 690 and get a set of supermoto wheels for the track use. Not ideal for the track but better than the Husky anyway...
The KTM is better off roads as well but this seems not to be your main target...

Maybe a 990 SuperMoto would be best choice as you wont do a lot of off road riding....
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
Cobain
night owl

Oddometer: 132
haha oh shit i thought you meant dirt bike track my bad.
Cobain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:27 AM   #11
Slideways#96
scooter trash

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
Take the 690 and get a set of supermoto wheels for the track use. Not ideal for the track but better than the Husky anyway...
The KTM is better off roads as well but this seems not to be your main target...

Maybe a 990 SuperMoto would be best choice as you wont do a lot of off road riding....
Yep, 690 would be my choice.
Slideways#96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #12
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,143
Find a late model used EXC KTM or Husaberg w/ a set of SM wheels. Or the factory SM versions of the same bikes. My specific choice would be a Husaberg FS570 (looks like this http://www.moto123.com/motorcycle-re...y?artid=122427). The Berg is smooth, reliable, fast and light at 2/3 or less the price of a 690 - and will dust it on the track.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,289
For that street/track bias I'd look at the 650 Strada as well.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
rmcelroy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Find a late model used EXC KTM or Husaberg w/ a set of SM wheels. Or the factory SM versions of the same bikes. My specific choice would be a Husaberg FS570 (looks like this http://www.moto123.com/motorcycle-re...y?artid=122427). The Berg is smooth, reliable, fast and light at 2/3 or less the price of a 690 - and will dust it on the track.

Yea, I was looking into used KTMs, but they are super rare/hard to find around here. (mid alabama). and most of the ones i have found that are close to what I am wanting are damn near the same price as new ones... so I might as well just go new!

my local KTM dealer also sells husabergs. I havent done much research on them though. I did check out their site briefly. whilt it looks they have really nice bikes, the main problem i saw was that they dont appear to be street legal.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #15
rmcelroy OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
The Terra has an engine made in China for one. They use pretty cheap parts on it compared to the TE or the KTM's.
is that the primary difference in price? a much lower quality engine would be a big deal... i have read on other sites that some people were having issues with the bikes just randomly stalling/back firing.

the more i look into the terra, the more i am wanting to shy away from it. and when i start looking at the TE (which retails for 9000) against the 690 (which retails for 10k) well, i think i would rather have the ktm.