Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #46
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricaserpa View Post
It looks like it will be a traffic jam indeed... I'm leaving Weston, Fl (near Ft Lauderdale) on June 23rd, planning to take 8 or 9 weeks to do the whole trip. I'm riding a 1200 GSA and decided to go solo, mainly because I'm a photographer and one of the ideas is to come back with enough photos for a possible book, and I want to feel free to stop at anytime without being a PIA for fellow riders. In any case, I'm definitely looking forward to meet at least a few inmates along the road and ride some nice roads together (until I stop for the inevitable photo op).

I haven't camped in over 30 years, so even though the plan is to camp as much as I can, it will really depend on how much cursing it will take to set up camp every night.

As for the route: from FL straight to MT, as fast as I can. From there to Calgary, Banff and the Yukon via the north route (Watson Lake, Faro, Dawson City), up to Inuvik. After Fairbanks, Prudhoe Bay (the Dempster and the Dalton are the ones I'm really looking for), Anchorage and the southern part of Alaska (Seward, Homer, Valdez), and then down via the Cassiar to Prince George, Vancouver and Seattle . The way back home is via UT, CO, TX, LA and home by mid/end August. Wish I could leave now...
For someone with serious photographic skills and for just an excellent experience, make sure you do not pass over Telegraph Creek, it's just west of Dease Lake on the Cassier highway. It's one of Canada's Grand Canyons.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 PM   #47
KLR Bob
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Leaving here in Indiana end of first week of July solo. Like to go all the way to Prudoeh. Looking for any others wanting to hook up along the way.

Bob 09 V Strom
KLR Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:32 PM   #48
Schleprock
Let's Do This!

Oddometer: 106
What direction?

What's your route Bob?
Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #49
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,560
Ill be heading to AK alone in June on a 32 year old Silverwing Interstate, camping exclusively. Leaving mid June from Bend Oregon. Always enjoy riding, camping, talking with other riders so stop and say hello if you see me on the way.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #50
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
I start my journey home 31 st may on friday ... im from Wasilla ak but riding from colorado springs ...

I am camping my way home first 3 stops sturgis ,mt rushmore and yellowstone ..

Ill be riding solo on my klr ..
wayne_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #51
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
The Concours is in Pennsylvania, stored with friends. The route back home is via southern Florida, maybe Key West while I'm in that neighborhood. Have to be in Atlanta on June 1st, and then a leisurely ride across the country, visiting friends along the way, to be in Dawson City, Yukon by June 20th. So if any of you see this bike

along the way - give a wave. I'll wave back, maybe with more than one finger.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #52
PhotoMotoAdv
PhotoGuy

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
For someone with serious photographic skills and for just an excellent experience, make sure you do not pass over Telegraph Creek, it's just west of Dease Lake on the Cassier highway. It's one of Canada's Grand Canyons.
Thanks for the kind words! Telegraph Creek is on my must-do list, been fascinated by the place since I read Neil Peart's excellent description of the place on his excellent "Ghost Rider". Which is, BTW, a very recommended book!
PhotoMotoAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #53
PhotoMotoAdv
PhotoGuy

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
The Concours is in Pennsylvania, stored with friends. The route back home is via southern Florida, maybe Key West while I'm in that neighborhood. Have to be in Atlanta on June 1st, and then a leisurely ride across the country, visiting friends along the way, to be in Dawson City, Yukon by June 20th. So if any of you see this bike

along the way - give a wave. I'll wave back, maybe with more than one finger.
Hope to see this nice bike in person!
PhotoMotoAdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #54
Loro17 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne_l View Post
I start my journey home 31 st may on friday ... im from Wasilla ak but riding from colorado springs ...

I am camping my way home first 3 stops sturgis ,mt rushmore and yellowstone ..

Ill be riding solo on my klr ..

Hey Wayne, We rode together on the Switzerland trail with the Colorado dual Sport group. I was riding the lava orange BMW 800gs. Looks like you'll be riding a Tiger instead! Congrats on the new bike
Loro17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #55
FastHotWheels
Chris Dempsey

Oddometer: 49
Alaska July 3-10

Plans are in place, I will Depart Livermore CA, July 3rd arriving in anchorage on or about July 10th, up hy 5, Sea to Sky highway, and cassiar highway, I will be looking for a place to camp on the 4th in or near whistler.

would be great to meet some of you on the way, Photo of my bike below (if you see me Say hi)

[IMG] photo IMAG0025.jpg[/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHotWheels View Post
Plans are not totally firm yet, but likely leaving Livermore CA, for Anchorage July 6th or 7th Return trip leaving approximately the 23rd. solo at this stage but would be fun to link up with people along the way.
Have family in AK, and hoping for a Riding buddy to fly down and ride up with me if I can get him to ship his bike down.

RideAlaskaSolo.blogspot.com
RideCalifornia.blogspot.com
COBDR.blogspot.com
FastHotWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:55 AM   #56
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
Four of us heading out June 21 from Missouri. Up to Dead Horse and back, two weeks off is all they'll give me.
It's do it in two weeks, or don't go. So,, it'll be a very quick trip by "Alaska" standards.
We are 2 GSAs, a KTM 990, and a Super Tenere. Camping most of the way.. Riding hard every day..
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #57
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post
No definite plans yet for this year/summer, but it's on my list and I'm contemplating asking permission from the employer for 4 weeks this summer. When I go, I'd like to do the inside passage cruise too - maybe even ship the bike one way or another to maximize time north.

I'm subscribed...
Looks like it's becoming more and more a reality. Final clearance being negotiated.

Tentative dates leaving July 3rd - I will have 4 weeks + a couple days. Returning via Inside Passage (Haines/Prince Rupert). Wanna ride up through Vancouver/S.C. Hwy. Dempster/Dalton. Been up to Icefields/Jasper/Southern AB/BC on previous trips.
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #58
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post
Looks like it's becoming more and more a reality. Final clearance being negotiated.

Tentative dates leaving July 3rd - I will have 4 weeks + a couple days. Returning via Inside Passage (Haines/Prince Rupert). Wanna ride up through Vancouver/S.C. Hwy. Dempster/Dalton. Been up to Icefields/Jasper/Southern AB/BC on previous trips.
Taking the XC or the GSA?
BigDog's thread where he went up on his WR is pretty neat.
With our travel schedule, we have no choice.
We'll be looking for you as we head south, and you are coming up.
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #59
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Tough Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Taking the XC or the GSA?
BigDog's thread where he went up on his WR is pretty neat.
With our travel schedule, we have no choice.
We'll be looking for you as we head south, and you are coming up.
It'll be the GSA. It was a tough choice in trip planning this year - had many plans for trips with the X (Challenge...that is..) but it looks like those trips will have to wait until next year. Work and other vacation needs kinda put the nix on getting any 4 weeks consecutive off in 2014. I also need a little more time to get the 650X ready for multi-week trips (which are lurking for future years...)

How did the HP springs work out fer ya?
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:54 PM   #60
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

I like them. Feel more planted on the gravel turns. However, a little more wear and tear on the wrists and shoulders going thru rocky stuff. Not as soft. You can tell I'm getting old. Ha