Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #61
Too Tall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRider View Post
Four of us heading out June 21 from Missouri. Up to Dead Horse and back, two weeks off is all they'll give me.
It's do it in two weeks, or don't go. So,, it'll be a very quick trip by "Alaska" standards.
We are 2 GSAs, a KTM 990, and a Super Tenere. Camping most of the way.. Riding hard every day..

Missouri to Deadhorse and back in two weeks will be a "quick trip" indeed. Ride safe.
2012 Triumph 800XC
2010 KTM 990 SMT
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #62
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,840
Quote:
Four of us heading out June 21 from Missouri. Up to Dead Horse and back, two weeks off is all they'll give me.
It's do it in two weeks, or don't go. So,, it'll be a very quick trip by "Alaska" standards.
While I have been up to Deadhorse many times, and I really enjoy the trip, IMO doing the round trip in two weeks just to say you've been there seems like a waste of what could be a really nice two-week vacation. There is certainly a lot more to see - and better scenery for sure - in other parts of Alaska and northwest Canada. You'll really be pushing it if you intend to camp most of the time. When I do a trip with time constraints like you're faced with, it's ride all night every other night, motel on alternate nights. Making & breaking camp is just too time consuming. But... if you can do it and still have fun, more power to you.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #63
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
While I have been up to Deadhorse many times, and I really enjoy the trip, IMO doing the round trip in two weeks just to say you've been there seems like a waste of what could be a really nice two-week vacation. There is certainly a lot more to see - and better scenery for sure - in other parts of Alaska and northwest Canada. You'll really be pushing it if you intend to camp most of the time. When I do a trip with time constraints like you're faced with, it's ride all night every other night, motel on alternate nights. Making & breaking camp is just too time consuming. But... if you can do it and still have fun, more power to you.
The three guys I'm riding with haven't done a lot of long distance riding. I did a trip two summers ago of 4,500 miles in 7 days. Around Maine and then across Eastern Canada and around Lake Superior. I did the hotel every other night, for additional rest. I'm hoping the three guys I'm with will go for alternating nights camping and hotel. It does help.
We discussed shipping the bikes back, and taking two weeks to get there. The consensus was go for it all. We'll see.. I've been around a while, I will have fun. If not, I'm not opposed to changing plans. Thanks for your advice.
Jeff
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #64
RonSJC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricaserpa View Post
It looks like it will be a traffic jam indeed... I'm leaving Weston, Fl (near Ft Lauderdale) on June 23rd, planning to take 8 or 9 weeks to do the whole trip. I'm riding a 1200 GSA and decided to go solo, mainly because I'm a photographer and one of the ideas is to come back with enough photos for a possible book, and I want to feel free to stop at anytime without being a PIA for fellow riders. In any case, I'm definitely looking forward to meet at least a few inmates along the road and ride some nice roads together (until I stop for the inevitable photo op).

I haven't camped in over 30 years, so even though the plan is to camp as much as I can, it will really depend on how much cursing it will take to set up camp every night.

As for the route: from FL straight to MT, as fast as I can. From there to Calgary, Banff and the Yukon via the north route (Watson Lake, Faro, Dawson City), up to Inuvik. After Fairbanks, Prudhoe Bay (the Dempster and the Dalton are the ones I'm really looking for), Anchorage and the southern part of Alaska (Seward, Homer, Valdez), and then down via the Cassiar to Prince George, Vancouver and Seattle . The way back home is via UT, CO, TX, LA and home by mid/end August. Wish I could leave now...
Quick question, I just purchased a Pentax k-30 (primarily for it being weather resistant). How and where are you transporting your camera to have fast access for that great shot? I purchased a tank bag, but it seems to get really hot in there and I'm worried about the camera getting bounced around.

Any experience on the best way to carry a DSLR on a bike?

Thanks,
Ron
RonSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #65
skidlid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Leaving Boone, NC June 2 to meet up with a buddy out in
California on the 5th. Blasting across on I40. In the neighborhood and need a riding buddy? Just PM me.
skidlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:45 AM   #66
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 885
Carrying a DSLR

RonSLJ,

I've carried a lot of cameras on my bike, mostly on a dirt bike pounding the trails and rock ledges in CO and UT. Point 'n Shoots go in a tank bag. I took my pro Canon SLR in the same tank bag without issue. That said, I have stopped doing that since my trips are getting longer now. I would recommend an all weather sling bag such as the one from Lowepro:

http://store.lowepro.com/sling-bags/slingshot-102-aw

It is added protection. The totally sealed bags seem to hold enough moisture on the inside that the electronics in some cameras have failed. These AW bags seem like a good compromise. You can get to the camera quicky and it is on your back away from driving rain and removed from shock. The AW designs come with a rain cover as well.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #67
TassieMark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Hey hugemoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
Ill be heading to AK alone in June on a 32 year old Silverwing Interstate, camping exclusively. Leaving mid June from Bend Oregon. Always enjoy riding, camping, talking with other riders so stop and say hello if you see me on the way.
Hi hugemoth,
I'm leaving Seattle for AK around 14th June on a red Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport, camping exclusively too, so I will keep an eye out for you.
I have memories of Bend, I can laugh now, well, almost. In mid April I left Bend heading north in light snow, I was supposed to be on Hwy 97, heading away from the snow. In reality, I was on Hwy 20 heading towards it. D'oh.
Regards,
Mark.
TassieMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #68
homelesspiper
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Leaving May 27th

Hoping to connect with some other inmates on the road. Its early for sure. I'm leaving from Sandpoint, Idaho and heading up to Jasper, Then onto the Forest Trunk Road. Connecting with the Alcan at Dawson Creek. Making a run to Fort Liard ( to check off NWT... been there done that..) Up the Alcan to Fairbanks by the 3rd or 4th of June. Girlfriend flies into Fairbanks on the 9th, so weather permitting I'll make the run north to Deadhorse. If anyone is crossing paths PM me and we'll meet up. Camping away from the tourist traps. Hope to see you on the road! Riding a red '91 GS. Loaded for bear..literally!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #69
lifeofadv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Leaving June 15 out of San Francisco

I'm fixin' to leave June 15 for Deadhorse and Inuvik aboard a WR250R. I'm going solo but from looking at this thread, it looks like there will be plenty of company!
lifeofadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #70
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieMark View Post
Hi hugemoth,
I'm leaving Seattle for AK around 14th June on a red Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport, camping exclusively too, so I will keep an eye out for you.
I have memories of Bend, I can laugh now, well, almost. In mid April I left Bend heading north in light snow, I was supposed to be on Hwy 97, heading away from the snow. In reality, I was on Hwy 20 heading towards it. D'oh.
Regards,
Mark.
I am starting from Seattle as well. I haven't worked out the start dates, but I am planning to put aside three weeks for the entire trip. My goal is to end this trip around the July 4th holidays, so I am trying to get my work schedule wrapped around that. Once I have something more concrete I'll update this thread.
sarathmenon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #71
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
We are 2 GSAs, a KTM 990, and a Super Tenere. Camping most of the way.. Riding hard every day..
Some of us just want to ride!! Leaving Bozeman June 26. Going to the Sun Road, Dawson Creek, Teslin Yukon and back. 3800 miles and just 7 days to do it. Looong July days and a love of riding should make it possible. I will be solo on a Wee-Strom (nekked and flat black). Route flexible.

Wave when I go by!!!
radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #72
enumclaw
I just....don't know

Oddometer: 340
My son and I are heading out from the Seattle area on about June 22nd, planning for a minimum 3 weeks. Planning for a big "loop" to include Inuvik, Prudhoe, Kenai, etc. Leaving the Connie at home, riding the V-Strom; he'll be on a KLR. Hey, he's young! Camping most of the time. Gonna be a hoot!
enumclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #73
FastHotWheels
Chris Dempsey

Oddometer: 49
Ride Alaska Solo Blogspot

I Started a Blog for the trip; Preparation, Gear reviews, + photos, spot locations and Journal of the trip as it unfolds.

http://ridealaskasolo.blogspot.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHotWheels View Post
Plans are in place, I will Depart Livermore CA, July 3rd arriving in anchorage on or about July 10th, up hy 5, Sea to Sky highway, and cassiar highway, I will be looking for a place to camp on the 4th in or near whistler.

would be great to meet some of you on the way, Photo of my bike below (if you see me Say hi)

[IMG] photo IMAG0025.jpg[/IMG]

RideAlaskaSolo.blogspot.com
RideCalifornia.blogspot.com
COBDR.blogspot.com
FastHotWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #74
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastHotWheels View Post
Plans are in place, I will Depart Livermore CA, July 3rd arriving in anchorage on or about July 10th, up hy 5, Sea to Sky highway, and cassiar highway, I will be looking for a place to camp on the 4th in or near whistler.

would be great to meet some of you on the way, Photo of my bike below (if you see me Say hi)
Looks like I'll be about a day or so behind you. Leaving Fort Collins CO after work on 7/3 and high tailing it to Seattle/Vancouver...then slowing the pace. Same route intentions for now. Maybe we'll see you along the way!

Mike
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #75
FastHotWheels
Chris Dempsey

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtncrawler View Post
Looks like I'll be about a day or so behind you. Leaving Fort Collins CO after work on 7/3 and high tailing it to Seattle/Vancouver...then slowing the pace. Same route intentions for now. Maybe we'll see you along the way!

Mike
I will post my "Spot" positions on my blog (http://ridealaskasolo.blogspot.com)if you have a chance to check on the road, I will also post my intending camping locations hear soon, I may do a layover in Whitehorse or telegraph canyon area, you may catch up to me !

RideAlaskaSolo.blogspot.com
RideCalifornia.blogspot.com
COBDR.blogspot.com
FastHotWheels is offline   Reply With Quote