Old 12-28-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
S10 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Journey to Australia

GDay

Welcome to my first post at Advrider.
In fact my first post ever in any forum

Lurked around for some time and read a lot of old post about the GS.

I'm seeking some tips/comments about a trip I am planning.
I want to ride Perth - Adelaide - Ayers Rock - Darwin (Kakadu National Park) in April and May 2013. Will that be a good time of the year or should I avoid it?

How about the paperwork? - If I buy a motorcycle from a dealer in Perth, is it then necessary with a proof of residence within the state?
(BTW Recommended dealers?)

When I'm selling the motorcycle in Darwin, how long time will it take to sell it? I expect to arrive to Darwin-area 2 weeks before leaving Australia (including visit to Kakadu). Is it realistic to sell a motorcycle in that timeframe?

Sten
S10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,968
the time of the year should be fine, what sort of bike are you after and what is your budget.

How long it takes to sell will depend a lot on what price you put on it and condition of the bike, there are a few inmates in Darwin who will know a lot more than I do about the re-sale market up there.

I had a couple of Danish guys stay with me last Christmas, they had shipped their bikes out here and ridden them around Oz, unfortunately the big KTM went kaboom up in Tom Price and needed to be rebuilt,Mark got the parts out of Germany a lot faster than he could get them here.

Don't buy a bike over here that will be difficult or expensive to repair once on the road ( BMW or KTM ) grab something like a DR650.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Some bike shops may do a fixed price buy back when your finnished with the bike. You lose some money, but that's par for the course.

crash n bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,271
Not sure whether the timing is right S10, but we'll have over 100 Aussie riders in the iconic Flinders Ranges here in SA from about 3rd April for 4-5 days at the Flinders Classic. You'd be more than welcome.

It's more of a party than anything else but eveyone's free to ride whatever Flinders tracks and trails they wish. There's always someone willing to let others tag along with their ride.

Camping is available and I do believe that big Squilly will be making his way over from WA........apparently he loves the SA beer!!!

Buying a bike will be easy, selling it will be easy too, as long as you're prepared to drop the price you want!! As suggested, a DR will be much easier to dump in a firesale and you can find parts for them all over the country, especially through this forum. I reckon there will be about 20 of them at the Classic.

I would say that you've just about nailed the weather side of things, down south in autumn and up in the north during winter, beautiful. Just gets a little cold around the middle of the country during the night.

Good luck with your trip.

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
S10 OP
Adventurer

@bully1
I know the right selling price is important, but is anybody (dealer or privat) interested in bying anything nowadays?
My intentions is to find a DR650 or XR650. Would have preferred a F650gs, because I have owned one and therefore knew the model. But both the DR650 or XR650 seems popular in Australia, and therefore easier to sell. And they should both fit me with 6"4' and 210lbs with a 36" inseam.
The budget is 10000 AUD which should cover buy/sell bike, fuel, food, accommodation (camping), adventures etc.

@crash n bern
I know that some bike shops have a buybackoption, but is it possible to buy in Perth and sell in Darwin?

@DRTrev
Thanks for the offer, but it will be difficult to achieve.
Find and buy a bike, ride the Nullarbor Plain in less of a week and still be a good tourist in WA - nope
But how cold is "a little cold around the middel of the country during the night" - frost?

Will there be any problems in selling a bike. Is there anything I shall know or remember?

Thanks for the comments about the time and weather.

Sten
Old 12-30-2012, 01:09 AM   #6
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,240
Just wondering how he is going to go with bike rego and an address etc?
pete40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 View Post
But how cold is "a little cold around the middel of the country during the night" - frost?
It can be sub-zero at night in the desert, after a beautiful mild to warm day.
At that time of year I wouldn't expect it to be that cold overnight, but the wrong weather and it can go -5 C easily.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTrev View Post
Camping is available and I do believe that big Squilly will be making his way over from WA........apparently he loves the SA beer!!!
Not sure if its the beer or the company...

Hey S10- give me a PM if you're interested in tagging along. And here's a proposal for you:

Scorpion777 has a farkled 650 V-strom sitting in my shed that I'm sure he'll rent out to you for the price of rego, insurance, a service and new rubber when you're done with it.

And I'll throw in my services as mechanic to prepare her and be your tour guide for the Nullarbor on the way to the Flinders. You can always be a tourist in WA after Darwin- the best places are up north anyway...

and a link with some more links in it on trips the dl has done if you've got nothing to do (and some nice shots of the Nullarbor) http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post16337503

Oh, and it's the perfect time of the year for the trip you're planning.

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
S10 OP
Adventurer

@Pete40
Good question, hope someone will answer.
In worst case I have ask the Tourist Information.

@GodSilla
-5 is colder than expected, have to keep the clothes on in the sleeping back.

@Squily
That's a New Year offer
Sent you a PM

Sten
Old 01-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
pete40
Life Behind Bars

Oddometer: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete40 View Post
Just wondering how he is going to go with bike rego and an address etc?
Yeah - over in Qld everything is tied to your licence now. All regos and licence are same address. Someone must have done it.
pete40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #11
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,120
Cool2 Sure it gets hot....

I'm no hero mate, (and some might question my sanity) but I have ridden the Nullabor in 45oC, so make SURE you are prepared for all climatic extremes (good ride gear and 3 litre Camelback @ minimum/ with extra water on the bike)
Like they said, it gets cold,-5, that's before any wet weather/wind chill, bring good gear mate, those choices and taking it easy/ride style will save your life potentially......no moose here but DO NOT underestimate the suicidal tendencies of our wildlife (2 and 4 legged) AVIOD riding after dark,early morning/sunset etc. Keep your speed down in scrub country......
Give a nod to fellow riders as you pass, once in the bush...forget the Tourist trail, find the real Australia........
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
S10 OP
Adventurer

I have given Squily a acception to lend Scorpion777's DL650 to me and be my guide over Nullarbor to Flinders - so I think I'm safe there

But you're right, I have to take care when riding in the remote areas. I have chosen to follow the tourist trails and only make short trips away from the main road, at least when I'm alone.

Sten
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,271
Quote:
I have given Squily a acception to lend Scorpion777's DL650 to me and be my guide over Nullarbor to Flinders - so I think I'm safe there

Sten
Fantastic news S10, and a great gesture on Squily's part . I'll book you into the Classic with Squily, and will assume that you'll take a dormitory bed as he has (let me know if you only require camping). Bring a camera, and a back up camera, you won't want to miss any of the thousands of photo opportunities on offer.

Looking forward to catching up with you both in the Flinders. See you when you get there.

I like it when a plan comes together......

cheers

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
Oz Nutter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:

But you're right, I have to take care when riding in the remote areas. I have chosen to follow the tourist trails and only make short trips away from the main road, at least when I'm alone.

Sten
Have a good mission, rather you be slightly paranoid from my warnings, than have a drama. 49oC in Eucla yesterday......
Oz Nutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
PBee

Oddometer: 8,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Nutter View Post
Have a good mission, rather you be slightly paranoid from my warnings, than have a drama. 49oC in Eucla yesterday......
A cool 26 there today................44c in Adelaide & 46c in Pt Augusta today.
& a cool 41c in Melb.

QUORN SCHITZEL CLUB Est 2011. N
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is offline   Reply With Quote