Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
rickcj7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Just unhook a terminal and let it sit for a few days if it goes dead the battery is bad if it stays up you have a drain, possibly alternator.

WR250R sold
FE450E sold
XT, NX, KLX, KLR, DR all long gone.
rickcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,105
I unhooked the (+) terminal cable, and ran the multimeter from the positive cable to the (-) terminal on the battery, then pulled the "dome" fuse and it dropped from .50 to .03. By reading on some Tundra forums, it seems the dome lights/fuse is the primary culprit. Looks like I found mine as well. I'm gonna re-charge the battery, and leave the dome fuse out. I have the interior lights all switched off anyhow due to the doors being hard to shut, and the kids not closing them properly and this has drained my battery before.

I even stuck the fuse back in a couple of times and check again....it drops nearly half a volt with the dome fuse pulled.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #18
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Furthered the same testing from earlier. With (+) cable unhooked from battery, and multimeter from (+) cable to (-) terminal on battery, put fuse back in and started taking bulbs out. Numbers dropped a little for each bulb I pulled. I pulled 3 interior bulbs out. It dropped a little each time. Battery was showing 12.9 after a little while on the charger. Put it back in the truck and went to crank it, nada....just clicking. Checked battery with multimeter again and it's showing 10.5V again.....

Battery is going back to store on Wednesday for an exchange. No new battery should behave like that...plus it was dead when I bought it.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #19
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,661
What else runs off the dome light circuit? One of the common causes of draw is faulty underhood or trunk lights that won't shut off when the hood or lid is closed. Start pulling bulbs and see if you can nail it down.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #20
Tinker1980
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 985
Something else to check... haven't read everything so I may be wasting time here... If you have a multimeter, set the multimeter to AC and put the probes across the battery while the engine is running... if you're getting any AC voltage, the diodes are going bad/have gone bad in the alternator, AND the alternator will drain the battery dead in a few hours.

Had this happen on a 1988 Isuzu Trooper. Among other things. Worst vehicle by far I've ever owned. Made me completely lose faith in older Japanese vehicles.
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #21
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
Battery is going back to store on Wednesday for an exchange. No new battery should behave like that...plus it was dead when I bought it.
If it was full of electrolyte and dead, then that's your problem. Bad battery.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #22
BHW OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yup, it was a shit battery. Had it tested by someone else, and then took it back and got a replacement.