User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
buma OP
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Anti theft advice?

So I just got a new (to me) G650GS that I love and am concerned that other people out there might want it for themselves... Plus, I have plans for eventually traveling south of the border where security will be important.

Can anyone make suggestions about anti-theft? I have seen small locks on other bikes that look like they clamp on the wheel/brakes? Also, anyone know about anti theft where you have to touch a certain spot for the electrical to work and start up? I have seen this on cars in Latin America.

Cool, thanks for helping a noob.
buma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,792
Welcome to the asylum buma.

There are disc locks that attach to the brake disc. They are OK but if a thief is determined they will get the bike.
A chain or cable lock is OK and together with a disc lock about as good as you can expect, even using a disabling
device for the ignition.
I had a bike with a disc lock stolen, it was picked up and put in a truck, easy really.
Now I use a disc lock and a cable lock, so far so good.

Traveling south of the border, you will more than likely choose places to stay that have secure parking or allow you to put it indoors somehow. They are very accommodating for motorcycles, they know what is at risk.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 3,056
Add a couple of switches in line with the ignition if you'd like. When I'm in Baja, I opt for the "out of sight, out of mind" security system for the bike by putting it in the hotel room or parking it somewhere where it is hidden from view. I also capitalize on the strict hierarchy of transportation: Guy on a motorcycle is one step above a guy on a bicycle, so he's just a little less poor.

It doesn't matter, when you roll into a little town, EVERYONE knows.
tbarstow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Vehicle theft down here is mostly about spare parts.

Not that many exotic bikes = a small resale market = too much effort.

I'm much more careful about my helmet and tank bag, but a friend of mine leaves his on the bike and hasn't had a problem in 12 years and a quarter million KM's.

Seems like a much bigger problem in the US than here.

Get a lightweight cover, an alarm and whenever possible chain it to something solid. Any security device can be beaten by 4 guys throwing your bike in a truck and cutting disk locks in a nice private garage.

Like with all security, your goal is too make it too difficult and have the scumbags move on to an easier target. It's a selfish attitude, but unfortunately is the best you can do.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
MrHix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
I plan on putting an alarm on my 690 ER: http://www.scorpioalarms.com/product...cycle/sr-i800/

I have had Scorpios on all my street bikes for many years and it even scared a thief off one night in MS. Tilt sensor, impact, and perimeter too (an option). Other models have pager options.

Cheers,

MrHix
MrHix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Trade it in for a KLR?

duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #7
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
Trade it in for a KLR?

Good advice, but don't leave the milk crate on the back. It'll become a target for other KLR owners.