ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,653
State of the sport in Ohio

Just a brief update on things going on in Ohio, yes it's a copy past from a letter that went out to some dealerships:

Hello from Ohio Motorized trails Association. It has been a really busy summer for us, we have had more legislative victories for the sport this year than we thought possible, and we are still working hard to accomplish more. So far this year we have secured more trail funding, mandatory registration, cleaned up the farm exemption for APV registrations, and we finally have a rider oversight board to look after the trail fund! It has not been all sunshine and roses however. A provision we thought had been droped from House Bill 1 really butchered Ohio's titling laws for ATVs and dirt bikes. After so much work was done to get titles with the passage of HB611 back in 1999, this has really been a step backwards, and it is all because a staffer at ODPS didn't do their homework and misunderstood some of the existing laws on titling. We are already working hard to get this fixed, hopefuly in the fall session. I won't go into the details at length, but the basic problem is that there is now a loophole that does not require the existing title of pre 2005 units to be transfered for a new owner to get a registration! We can all imagine the headaches that could cause for dealerships dealing with trade ins. There is more good news though, we finally have a brand new forum up and running at www.OhioTrails.org, and one of the first things getting posted is rides! Thought you might know some folks interested in that. As you know, OMTA members also put on some events on the AMA National Dual Sport and Adventure Ride Series, including the Nutcracker 200. As you may also remember we have a new feature this year at this event, we are having a vendors midway, and the only way to be there is to be a sponsoring member of OMTA. As you will see when you review the attached Associate Member Program, it's pretty darn cheap to become a sponsor of OMTA, and it let's you say that you really care about the sport and give back.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
hiawassee
Fair play t'ya!

Oddometer: 200
I realize this reply comes a bit late since the initial post in 2009, but I just now discovered it while searching for info about titling dirt bikes in OH.

Did I understand you correctly when you said that bikes older than 2005 do NOT need a title? is that only for off-road use? or does that count for dual-sport use as well. I would think you'd need a title for DS.

And would you happen to know the procedure for getting a bike titled/plated in OH? I bought a beater 2001 Yamaha WR426 w/ no title and rebuilt it from the ground up. I ran the VIN but it didn't show up as stolen or anything so I guess it's ok. I knew there was no title when I bought it, but ran the number for good measure.

thanks,
jason (columbus oh)
hiawassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:23 AM   #3
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Ill take this in chunks, first the snafu wrote into law in early 99 that did not require a title as proof of ownership to get a registration only applied to ATVs, and has been reversed.

To make your dirt bike street legal in Ohio you need to take your off road title to your local TITLE office, not the BMV, and ask for a Change Of Body Code Affidavit. Check of the boxes swearing that you have added the required equipment for a street conversion (hi/lo headlight, tail/stop light, mirror, horn, turn signals are not required for conversions at this time due to a loophole created by ODPS).

Now, on the issue of your bike not having a title. Every ATV and non street legal dirt bike sold in Ohio since July 1999 has come with an off road title. If your bike originally came from a dealer in Ohio a title does exist for it. In 2005 a law was passed that specifically made it a criminal offense for the owner of an ATV or dirt bike to sell it without providing a title. This was to curtail people who just didn't bother to transfer the title, and to make it the responsibility of the original owner to obtain a title for a unit made before titling began in July 1999. What sucks for you is the only way to get that title is to find out who's name it is in and get them to get it to you. It also means whoever sold the bike to you is in violation of the 2005 law requiring the seller to provide a title for any dirt bike or ATV sold in Ohio, so ultimately they can be held accountable. I will pm u my cell if you need any further assistance.

Matthew T. Mesarchik
Legislative Affairs Liaison, Ohio Motorized Trails Association
Associate State Partner, National Off Highway Vehicle Conservaton Council
Old 02-24-2011, 07:39 AM   #4
hiawassee
Fair play t'ya!

re: the issue of title on my bike....

I actually bought it from a guy in TN, so I'm guessing the OH laws don't apply?

I tried getting info from the local BMV and the guy there said a "salvage title" could be obtained, but only after an inspection by OH State Highway Patrol which would cost me $53. then I'd have to take the salvage title back to the BMV for registration of both on- & off-road use. basically, doubling my cost since 2 registrations are required....and on top of the $53 I would allegedly spend for the inspection?

is that right? or is the BMV shakin me down?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

It's. Pretty typical that BMV staff are unfamiliar with these regulations. I see it happen a lot where BMV are not up to speed and send guys like you on a wild goose chase in these specific situations. It is due to the fact that your local BMV actually a localy owned franchise, owned by someone in your community. No centralized training across the state. If Tennessee is a non title state, which I can't remember if they are, then Ohio must honor their laws. That requires a VIN inspection performed at the BMV, you then take that to your title office with a bill of sale to get a title issued. There is no reason you can't do the street conversion as part of the process, but you may confuse the staff further. I have actually stood in the BMV and made them call Columbus to confirm I was right.

Now if Tennessee is a title state, it will get really interesting.
Sent you my number, call if you need help.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,977
I bought a TE410 from a guy in Md back on '02 and all he had was the Certificate of Origin and I lost the bill of sale. I recently sold the bike and the guy was going to try and get a title for it using the Certificate like you do a trailer, think he'll have any trouble?

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Depends on the mood of the staff at the BMV and title office!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
S2P
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Shouldn't have a problem getting an offroad title,with a certificate or MSO and a bill of sale from you. He wouldn't need the bill of sale from the previous owner you got it from.

WR 426
TTR 125
S2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 05:41 AM   #9
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Sorry Mike, i was on the move last night, and couldnt do a more thorough response. With the out of state MCO the title office will likely still want the out of state VIN inspection performed at the BMV, it's like $5. Depending on the mood at the title office they may want a bill of sale, and they may want it from the person who's name is on the MCO.

Now technically if the title office is 100% up to speed on Ohio law and he shows up with an MCO and a bill of sale from you and they know he bought it from an Ohio resident they would (technically) be required to refuse to issue him a title, because the 2005 law requires the SELLER to produce a title for the buyer. I very much doubt they will, but be aware. The other thing is if he does start to run into issues getting his title, under the 2005 law you as the seller can be held responsible. Why was that law created in 2005? Because different BMVs and title offices were giving the buyers of pre 1999 (pre title) bikes different conflicting proceedures on how to get a title, some state senator thought putting it all on the seller would help. It doesn't but it does give buyers who can't get a title issued some recourse.

We just went through an ordeal with a bus we bought from Michigan which doesn't even require that titles are notarized or a bill of sale when you transfer ownership. Just sign the title and give it to the buyer. I double checked with the title office that that would be all that was required. Yes, since that is Michigans proceedure that was all we needed. But when we got there the lady saw it was titled to a business and sent us away until we could produce a NOTARIZED bill of sale. My solution? Went to a different title office that was positive the bill of sale did not need to be notarized and just wrote one out.

muddyrabbit screwed with this post 02-26-2011 at 05:53 AM
Old 02-26-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
ScienceOfDirt
U-Boat Rider

Oddometer: 1,707
Are you sure the MCO will have the person's name on it? All the ones I have just list the vehicle. They are older ones though.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,507
muddyrabbit

back in december, I bought an 06 Roketa RDS-200 for my daughter as a Christmas present. got it from a private individual. found the bike on ebay, but it was not purchased through ebay (tho the listing still exists). the bike has never been titled and I dont recall getting a Certificate of Origin. I've emailed the previous owner about the CoO but havent heard back yet (only been a couple hours).

whats my recourse if the PO cant or wont come up with the CoO? I wouldnt care about it, but of course if I want to be able to ride the bike in Wayne (or elsewhere) then I need to title and register it.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:58 AM   #12
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Hmm, i'll have to put a little thought into it. My first thought is to take him to small claims court as a last resort, possibly file a police report. I will try to find the section of Ohio Revised Code pertaining to this for you.

I do have to point out that these sort of issues is why it is important to support your state riders organizations, whatever state you live in. As we head towards spring OMTA and Ohio State Snowmobile Association will be attending the first meeting of the SRV Fund Advisory Board that we created through legislative action to monitor how the state is planning to spend our trail fund. I am also working on another bill this year. If you ride off road in Ohio, you should join OMTA.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #13
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
.. possibly file a police report.
It's not a crime, it's a civil matter. No police report.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
hiawassee
Fair play t'ya!

total recall....

since it is unintentionally customary NOT to follow up with the outcomes of our personal trials and tribulations for which we inmates seek advice from one another, I thought I'd take a moment to belatedly describe the events of my ordeal as they transpired.

...in my original post, I was seeking advice on how to title an off-road bike that, by virtue of once having had factory accessories attached to it (WR426), was also capable of serving as a dual-sport bike. here's how the story went....

1. visited BMV registration office who did an inspection to pull the VIN. No title was available since it was purchased out of state and the laws may be different in TN. Since it needed a title, I was directed to the Title office after inspection.

2. The folks in the title office are, for the most part, not terribly savvy when it comes to how dirt bikes/dual sport bikes/motorcycles in general are supposed to be titled. So I basically managed to talk them into what I wanted them to tell me . which was basically that I needed a title for an on AND off-road bike. All I got were stupid looks. so I revised my request to say that I wanted to put a tag on my dual-sport motorcycle. They have no clue what that means, only that I needed a tag, and to get one, I would need a title.

In my case, since I didn't have one already, I was instructed to take my bill of sale, and all records of the private purchase, plus the official inspection docs I got from the registration office, to a judge to have him sign off on a request to print a brand new title. the judge could've cared less about all this. he summarily glanced at my stack of papers, saw a few rubber stamps from the title office, and gave me his autograph. then it was back to the title office.

3. with Judge's signature in hand, the title folks were satisfied and rang me up for one "MC" title. The distinction is a bit dubious, but it DOES cover off-road use as well as street use, so that's all that mattered. granted, they screwed up the title with a typo in the VIN.........something I caught while double checking everything on my way back to the registration office to get my tag. so it was a bit annoying going back through the process to have them print up a correct title, but absolutely necessary.

4. finally had proper title in hand, and paid another fee for the registration and tag. good to go.

moral of the story....YOU NEED ON AND OFF- ROAD TITLES IN OHIO. A category of "MC" will suffice for both if you're dual-sportin it. And a judge will need to sign off on an request to create a new title if you didn't receive one during a purchase (for any reason) or obtain one thereafter. and you WILL jump through as many hoops as the state feels is necessary until they're satisfied you've paid enough money for their services.

As for how off-road trail funds are handled, I would, as MuddyRabbit has stated, encourage you to get educated about and/or join the OMTA to find out where your money goes.

Thanks, Muddy! you're a big help.

Jason
Old 01-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Umm, thanks, err, your welcome, or...