User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
ObiJohn OP
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 515
Removing those Honda 'clips' from a fairing

I made the mistake of dropping one of my battery wiring bolts down between the battery box and the rear cowling on my Honda DN-01. To remove the rear cowl and get the bolt, I have to remove some 'clips', or plastic expanding rivets that use a screw to secure the plastic rivet... see below:

Anyone know how to get these out. Seems like you'd unscrew the Phillips head inner screw, and then once that is removed pry the rivet (clip) out... but the screw isn't backing out. I'm seriously thinking about drilling out the screw and then buying a bunch of new clips off of ebay, or at the local GM dealer (they use the same part for body clips on GM cars) and replacing them.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:47 AM   #2
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Yes, they unscrew. can be tricky because with only a little pushing force, they will spin in place. You want to use as little pushing force as possible on the screwdriver, to let the screw rise up out of the clip.

If it's thoroughly boogered, snip it with a pair of electrical dykes or nippers.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:13 AM   #3
Yamarocket630
Honey Badger

Oddometer: 459
Use a pocket screwdriver to pry under the head of the screw while turning it. Once it comes out part of the way you can get your fingers on it.
Yamarocket630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:58 AM   #4
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamarocket630
Use a pocket screwdriver to pry under the head of the screw while turning it. Once it comes out part of the way you can get your fingers on it.
+1 on this.

Exert as little pressure, on the screwdriver, as you can while turning counter-clockwise. Sometimes you can get a fingernail under the fastener head to aid removal.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
When the screw is backed out as far as it goes , pull on the crew head , the whole thing should come out , base and all.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,177
Sometimes they stick so bad I just whack 'em off with a sharp chisel, takes less time. Rain water & dust get into the clip & create stiction.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,027
I'm taking the time to say I fucking hate these things. Why in God's name can't manufacturers come up with better solutions for attaching fairings together!!!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #8
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,999
There are three major different kinds of these things.
The one shown which unscrew... most of the time
The ones with a small center dot
The ones with two sections on either side of the rivet that's open.

The screw ones are the hardest to deal with. First get some silicone spray, spray polish or WD40
Wet the head and around the seating surface. Then unscrew once the "screw" is up. I use a pair of circlip pliers to get under the base part and lift the whole thing up. If I can get to the back side I'll also try and push it out.

The longer these sit in place, or the hotter they get the harder they are to remove.

The center dots ones are the easiest, just push the dot in and with something thin pull the whole shebang out

The ones with the two sections are more challenging. I've made a special tool for them.
Take a cheap pair of slip joint pliers and grind off the tip, so just the last of the wider part of the pliers remain, as sort of a very thin end pliers.

Or buy a plastic connector pliers from Harbor freight, but these only work if you have a lot of room around the connector.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #9
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
I'm taking the time to say I fucking hate these things. Why in God's name can't manufacturers come up with better solutions for attaching fairings together!!!
Yes, I absolutely hate these things, too. My old VFR is full of shitty plastic fasteners and (now) brittle tabs on the bodywork. The rest of the bike is built to last forever, but they sure cheaped out on a few of the little things.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:33 AM   #10
ObiJohn OP
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 515
A solution to the problem...

I finally figured out how to get these out without destroying them or my bike.

I used a jeweler's screwdriver... the kind you get 5 to a box with three Philips heads and two flat-head drivers. I used the largest flat-head. It fit deeply into the cross-slot on the clip, letting me turn the clip without having to put any pressure into it (didn't have to press into the clip to keep the screwdriver engaged).

I then figured that the entire clip was rotating, so I used a finger to press up against the edge of the clip, being careful not to touch the screw in the middle. Presto, the screw started to come out. As it raised, I could get my finger on the screw head itself and kept a little 'outward' pressure on it to keep it coming.

Using this technique it took me less than a minute to get all 5 clips out, and then pulling the bottom of the rear/side fairing out let the battery cable bolt fall out onto the garage. Ten minutes later everything was back, the battery tender pigtail was installed (I shoved a shop cloth between the battery and the gap in the fairing so if I dropped the bolt again it wasn't going to fall in there again) and I was in business.
Old 01-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #11
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
you mean, like velcro ?

i don't know man, i've been wondering that myself. maybe it would be too easy ?