KTMSAM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
ALTrider side stand foot

Hey guys, I was looking around online and I found this:
http://www.altrider.com/altrider-sid...adv/pcid/331-1

Does anyone have one?
Is it worth buying?
Does the stock one tend to sink in different surfaces?

Thanks!
KTMSAM
Old 12-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
crofrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMSAM View Post
Hey guys, I was looking around online and I found this:
http://www.altrider.com/altrider-sid...adv/pcid/331-1

Does anyone have one?
Is it worth buying?
No clue

Quote:
Does the stock one tend to sink in different surfaces?
YES! I normally find a rock cause I'm cheap, and if no rock a tree. No tree or rock, sometimes it falls over :)
crofrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
vonotto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
I have one, works well but its heavy. I have had the bike stall due to the the side stand swinging down{riding hard trails}.

I put a heaver side stand spring on, now all i well. Good heavy duty product.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Laugh alternate support

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
I normally find a rock cause I'm cheap, and if no rock a tree. No tree or rock, sometimes it falls over :)
I use a smashed beer can... of course you have to empty it first, but that's why you stopped, right?

after having a few different multi-piece "sidestand foot"s fail on me & customers (bend & wear, rattle annoyingly, fall off completely) I've taken to welding a simple steel plate to the end. It's some of the easiest welding around, a cheap-o $99 Horrible Fright MIG wire-fed box will do the job if a guy at the local muffler shop won't do it. Cut a 3" or less circle (or whatever shape) and simply park the bike with the peg on top of the plate & weld, hit it with some black spray paint & you're good for the life of the bike! All the aluminum ones I've seen (streetbikes too) eventually become loose from bending/wear- just too thin for long life of uneven loads- perhaps this one being stainless will be better, but I am still leary of the multi-piece design if you actually ride off-road.

while you're at it consider relocating the stand from the engine case if you haven't already. I chose the PABiker/CJDesigns route which moves it behind the footpeg and totally off/away from the engine. The reinforcement-type brackets are still down there at the case, and while some don't use the existing case mount holes some versions do. While it might be an improvement over stock I want nuclear-proof protection on any bike I ride. I have NEVER had a problem with my relocated stand being in the way or hard to use and FWIW I think it looks better tucked up away from the ground
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
KTMSAM OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Thanks for the info guys, I think saving $50 and welding a plate to the bottom is a better way to go, I wouldn't be happy to travel 200 miles and then find out that it fell off....

Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post
while you're at it consider relocating the stand from the engine case if you haven't already. I chose the PABiker/CJDesigns route which moves it behind the footpeg and totally off/away from the engine.
This is on my next order of business for sure. I have been reading a lot on here lately and came across some horror stories
Old 12-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,548
Go look through the Freeze-plugs at the local auto parts store for a variety of nice stamped steel choices to weld on the end.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 559
How'bout just using a big washer?
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
How'bout just using a big washer?
yep, 1" HD flat washer works great, cheap.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
WeRide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
AltRider Foot

Just installed the AltRider foot on our 2013 Tenere. It's a bit more expensive than the beer can, but it's a nice looking product. Maybe I'll try the beer can on the Wee????
WeRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
RoundOz
Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer: 962
my solution

With adjustable length too:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618247

I found the bigger foot which I attached first to work pretty poorly on hard surfaces. Too thick and tended to help the bike fall over to the right. The contact point for the 9x0 side stand foot is too close to the bike, so a change in elevation of the surface (even adding a 1/4" thick alloy plate to the bottom of the foot) makes a bigger difference to the angle of the bike. With the change in angle only one edge of the bigger foot would be in contact with a hard surface sometimes. Loaded up on a trip one time (rear spring compressed with the extra weight) I stopped to gas up and couldn't put the KaTuM on the sidestand at all. Had to straddle the bike to put gas in it. Thats the reason for my elaborate stand and why it has a tilting foot.
I know this is a partial hijack...the OP was only interested in a bigger foot, but adding a foot can exacerbate the sidestand length problem that some, not all, 9x0s have. YMMV.

RoundOz screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 08:23 AM Reason: Clarity, verbosity
RoundOz is offline   Reply With Quote