Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #46
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundradirtbiker View Post
Anyone tried
these. Mentioned and ignored in other posts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GIzG8NW40k

They all suck I do the valve stem mod my self!

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 AM   #47
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,925
I intended to. I bought one during Sandy but never got to use it. It really looks like it should work well and the it is demonstrated in the video, it should be the next best thing to sliced bread. It also holds one gallon, I could probably squeeze in 1.1 gal, the exact amount my generator holds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tundradirtbiker View Post
anyone tried these. Mentioned and ignored in other posts.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #48
tattoogunman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
I just use a funnel, I don't even bother with the new'ish nozzle that come with the newer cans. The last one that I had, the spring collar bit of it broke and it wouldn't allow any gas to come out. I finally just broke it loose with a screwdriver so that it would work. I just bought a new 5 gallon for my Ural...........and an old fashioned funnel
tattoogunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:11 PM   #49
Snarky
Vodka Infused.

Oddometer: 1,342
The worst thing is, is that those stupid CARB spouts break pretty easily, and I've yet to find a replacement in stores. So you got to shell out another 17$ for a can. Usually when I need them I don't have time to mess with ordering online.

One of these days I'm going to gather some NATO cans and 'water' spouts, and do away with this useless plastic CARB bullshit.
Pledge today! Service guarantees citizenship. @ http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com Thanks.
Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #50
Ironhead
But Itsa Dry Heat

Oddometer: 772
I buy the CARB approved cans with the spring loaded spout that has the push back collar on it.
I gut the spout and just keep the tube that sticks through the screw down ring.
A piece of 5/8 tygon tubing about a foot long will push down over the tube with a little heat to soften it and be locked on really solid when it cools.
I drill a small hole in the back corner and thread an old brake bleeder screw into it and put the push on rubber cap on it to keep it from sloshing out through the bleeder.
Just unscrew the lid that seals the container slip in the tygon nozzle, screw it down, pop the rubber cap off of the bleeder screw and I can empty a 5 gallon can into my jeep in less than a minute with no spilling.

I have also used the little ball check vent valves that are used on fuel tanks on moto cross bikes and epoxied them into the hole in the back of the jug, they work pretty good

" Lord grant me patience, because if you grant me strength, I'll need bail money and a lawyer to go along with it"
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #51
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
<$2/can and you can turn a new-fangled nightmare into an old school dream using the same vent they used to use back in the good ol days:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Yellow-Ve...item3ccde08daa
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #52
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
You can do it like the video (the hard way) or just take off the spout, push down the valve so it is exposed, take a pair of snips and cut off the one way valve. 15 seconds and it is "fixed".
easy to fix, i am not sure why everyone thinks it is complicated to "fix" them or that they need to buy a new can every time the valve sticks.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #53
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
<$2/can and you can turn a new-fangled nightmare into an old school dream using the same vent they used to use back in the good ol days:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Yellow-Ve...item3ccde08daa
This site is money! My old school can vent cap just cracked and I was able to get a new one vice buying a new stupid can!
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #54
John E
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Complete...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
If you try to cross into CA with one in your truck/car/etc, they will make you throw it away or leave it behind.
Bullshit. I've driven from and to California many times with 2 NATO cans on the roof of my Land Cruiser and my Subaru, never been asked about them or made to remove them.

This is the Sea
The Waterboys/Mike Scott
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #55
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
If you're in California, you HAVE to have those shitty new style self-venting cans, which of course, don't actually vent. They fucking suck.
They aren't supposed to vent; they're supposed to keep VOCs out of the air....until you open the spout....and get a pressurized spray of gas all over...releasing all of the VOCs into the atmosphere

Did nobody on the CARB take HS physics?

What's worse is that because California is such a huge market you can't find any other type of fuel can at at a retailer anywhere in the US.

Somehow a 45 street el and some black iron pipe got welded to the "storage and transport" cap for my 5g can

k-moe screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 07:21 PM
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #56
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
They aren't supposed to vent; they're supposed to keep VOCs out of the air....until you open the spout....and get a pressurized spray of gas all over...releasing all of the VOCs into the atmosphere

Did nobody on the CARB take HS physics?
They did. But the school system wasn't allows to let them fail. So they got a passing grade no matter how little they knew.
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #57
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
I thought the point was that they were supposed to auto-stop to prevent overfilling and resulting spills?

Instead the damn sliding foreskin nozzle is so damn annoying and slow you perch it on the tank and eventually it slips and falls spilling fuel all over the hot engine.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #58
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,079
Quote:
The difference is that it does that only when you use it, not continuously as the temperature changes. And besides, you're supposed to keep those things in a cool, dark place where they're not subjected to gross thermal cycling or radiant heat.

Keep complaining (and defeating the safeties) and the next version will have a vapor recovery system on it.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:18 AM   #59
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Fuck those things, at minimum get these from Tuff Jug:

Works kinda like a dry brake quick fill.
That thing fucking sucks too.

After 2 years of spilling gas all over the bike, my boots and the garage floor I broke down and spent the $20 for the good ole style cap ($60 for a can is retarded!).

I swear I've spilt more gas since these stupid fucking EPA cans came out than I have in my entire life leading up to the point of having to buy these things.

The problem with the tuff jug is that mothafuckin safety valve is too fat to fit in most bikes gas tanks and if you do manage to fit it in, the pressure builds up and gas shoots everywhere anyway.

I have a couple Blitz cans too, and I will do that mod from the video.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:45 AM   #60
Pike Bishop
Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer: 9,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt View Post
Under $20 locally, no need to drill in a vent or a silly "no spill" spout:

Why do you hate polar bears?
Pike Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote