Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #136
OBX-RIDER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,246
I've been keeping an eye out for a while. Mine's an '05 with 18,010 mis at a price I couldn't walk away from...

No question about trailering it home...not (just) because of the sub-freezing temps but I'm still recovering from a compression spinal fracture I got a coupla weeks ago snowboarding..
Old 01-24-2013, 03:51 AM   #137
jdub
Dawg bytes reel gud

Oddometer: 1,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
I'm with you!! Been on the hunt for a little over a month and snagged this '07 GSA with only 1300 miles!! This must be what love feels like..

And you got the fastest color to boot!

Congrats to both you and OBX-RIDER. Now the fun starts!
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #138
OBX-RIDER
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub View Post
And you got the fastest color to boot!

Congrats to both you and OBX-RIDER. Now the fun starts!
Due to an injury I can't ride for a month so my fun is going to start by learning to do the 18,000 mis service and a Russell Day Long saddle...
Old 01-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #139
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,227
I bought a 2002 1150GS 5 years ago with 3,000 miles on it. It now has 41,000 miles and I've been to 38 states on it.

In that time, I've only had two issues with the bike.

1) clutch slave cylinder was leaking. I attribute that to it only getting ridden about 400 miles/year before I bought it.

2) on a recent trip, of one of the spark plug coils was arcing. had to replace the wire.

Other than that, I've changed the fluids on schedule, changed the rear brake pads once and that's been it.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:32 AM   #140
OBX-RIDER
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
Great looking bike - I'm partial to the '05 myself.

By the way, I've been warned NOT to tie a GS down by the handlebars. The loads imparted by bumps during the haul can be larger than your hands impart by riding and could cause the bars to slip and rotate down. This is bad for the bars and will lose the tension in your tie-downs and possibly lead to major trouble. The formula recommended by many other inmates is to buy four of these: http://www.compacc.com/p/Ancra-Tie-D...FY1DMgod5mMA0g

Use two of them around the front fork tubes just above the fender. Hook your ratchet strap. Use the other two on the frame in the rear. The Ancra straps are very strong and avoid scratching the bike with the ratchets. Even better is a proper front wheel chock. Looks like you made it home OK on this run.
Thanks John. I had a couple of straps on the engine guard and a chock and was careful not to overtighten the handlebar straps but I will be more attentive about that in the future. I have some Ancra straps around here somewhere but went ahead and ordered another pair.

I got this bike to have a "do all" motorcycle to take in our toyhauler so it will be tied down a lot. . Our plan is to base in an interesting area and ride out on 2 or 3 day rides from there as we tour the country.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #141
OBX-RIDER
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
I bought a 2002 1150GS 5 years ago with 3,000 miles on it. It now has 41,000 miles and I've been to 38 states on it.

In that time, I've only had two issues with the bike.

1) clutch slave cylinder was leaking. I attribute that to it only getting ridden about 400 miles/year before I bought it.

2) on a recent trip, of one of the spark plug coils was arcing. had to replace the wire.

Other than that, I've changed the fluids on schedule, changed the rear brake pads once and that's been it.
That's good news! I have a friend whose got 104,000 mis on his 1150GS, done all the routine maintenence himself and hasn't had a bit of trouble. His experience probably allowed me to oevercome all the naysayers and buy this bike...
Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #142
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Very nice acquisition -- fyi, the GS on the right has 100K more miles than yours, so you should be fine for a few years. . ..

NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #143
portablejohn
Sociophobe

Oddometer: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBX-RIDER View Post
Thanks John. I had a couple of straps on the engine guard and a chock and was careful not to overtighten the handlebar straps but I will be more attentive about that in the future. I have some Ancra straps around here somewhere but went ahead and ordered another pair.

I got this bike to have a "do all" motorcycle to take in our toyhauler so it will be tied down a lot. . Our plan is to base in an interesting area and ride out on 2 or 3 day rides from there as we tour the country.
The newer manual (mine is an '11) has instructions to tie down the front by running the straps up through the slots in the lower A arm, up the fork, around the bars near the clamps. Be careful not to catch the brake lines or wires in the routing.
portablejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #144
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablejohn View Post
The newer manual (mine is an '11) has instructions to tie down the front by running the straps up through the slots in the lower A arm, up the fork, around the bars near the clamps. Be careful not to catch the brake lines or wires in the routing.
Mine says the same thing, however the guy I bought it from had a dealer for years and he tying it down the other way, with loops around the lower portion of the fork tubes, so as not to compress the suspension. Apparently that can be bad for the ESA. I don't know about that high tech stuff, just sayin that is what I've been doing.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #145
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviatorTroy View Post
Mine says the same thing, however the guy I bought it from had a dealer for years and he tying it down the other way, with loops around the lower portion of the fork tubes, so as not to compress the suspension. Apparently that can be bad for the ESA.
It's how the bike was shipped from Germany to the USA in a crate and the guy if full of it.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #146
3xranger
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Talking

Just got this 2005 with only 5000 miles on it--I've now put 2000 miles in that last 3 weeks. Got new tires and a GPS. Already planning trips to Big Bend and Baja later this year.

3xranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #147
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3xranger View Post
Just got this 2005 with only 5000 miles on it--I've now put 2000 miles in that last 3 weeks. Got new tires and a GPS. Already planning trips to Big Bend and Baja later this year.

Sir tis a fine looking machine.

Ride in joy and bliss

May miles reel before you in unhindered celebration
Old 01-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #148
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 861
Gsa

A pic of my new love in front of a good 'ol Texas catfish hut on a rainy day. It could be sleeting and I'm pretty sure I would still want to ride this thing. I'm officially sold!

The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #149
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
A pic of my new love in front of a good 'ol Texas catfish hut on a rainy day. It could be sleeting and I'm pretty sure I would still want to ride this thing. I'm officially sold!

AHHH ha a superior steed at a catfish shack, life for you, shall be stellar

Is
Sonny Bryan's down at Love Field as good as it use to be in the 80's????

Old Dallasites need to know.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #150
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
As a 40 year + ex-resident of Dallas, I would sat Sonny's is till damn good. As good as when Sonny was there, well probably not. I miss coming in and seeing Sonny's smiling face greeting me each time. Still packs em in, everyday.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote