Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
ullukk OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Basque Country/ Western Pyrenees ideas??

Hello folks,
I'm planning to spend a fortnight or so in France/Northern Spain in early july, the idea iv'e got is to spend 7 days based somewhere in the Western Pyrenees/Basque Country region and spend the other 7 days or so travelling there and back. Any suggestions on good place's to stay and decent roads round the area will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Keith.
ullukk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
Possu
de-nOObed!

Oddometer: 5,176
If riding down from the UK, avoid the motorways and stick to the N-roads, we normally go to the Pyrenees via Le Mans, Tours, Poitiers, Limoges, Pergeaux, Bergerac etc. There's alweays the Millau Bridge to see plus Sarlat is a very nice old town to the west of Bergerac.

Jaca in the Pyrenees is nice, some good roads there, the N260 heading east is excellent. Pamplona and San Sebastian (Donostia) are worth a look as is Zarautz if you fancy a go at surfing.

Therer's good trailriding in the Pyrenees, especially to the east around Sort and Andorra, none in the Picos to the west.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
ullukk OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possu View Post
If riding down from the UK, avoid the motorways and stick to the N-roads, we normally go to the Pyrenees via Le Mans, Tours, Poitiers, Limoges, Pergeaux, Bergerac etc. There's alweays the Millau Bridge to see plus Sarlat is a very nice old town to the west of Bergerac.

Jaca in the Pyrenees is nice, some good roads there, the N260 heading east is excellent. Pamplona and San Sebastian (Donostia) are worth a look as is Zarautz if you fancy a go at surfing.

Therer's good trailriding in the Pyrenees, especially to the east around Sort and Andorra, none in the Picos to the west.
Cheers Possu, Thanks for helpful post mate.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:22 AM   #4
mickshere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
If you do get down to the Jaca area try to get to visit San Juan de la Peña
http://www.monasteriosanjuan.com/mon...-pena.php?L=en
its a monastery carved out of rock. Its an amazing sight .

mickshere screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 03:31 AM
mickshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
ullukk OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the link mick, right up my street this sort of stuff, a visit to the monastery is a must for me in the summer.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:13 AM   #6
The Jester
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Navarra desert aka Bardenas Reales. If you are planning off road I have some gps routes of the area but also getting there off road from France Spain border and back up towards bilbao.

The Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 AM   #7
ullukk OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jester View Post
Navarra desert aka Bardenas Reales. If you are planning off road I have some gps routes of the area but also getting there off road from France Spain border and back up towards bilbao.
Thanks for the post mate, no off roading for me though, well none planned anyway!!, strictly tarmac only for me and the missis on our trusty old fazer but thanks again for offer of routes.

Cheers.

Keith.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,272
Just a thought but have you considered the Portsmouth/Plymouth to Bilbao/Santander ferries? They're not cheap but take off the fuel and accommodation cost for the route there and back and it's only a moderate additional cost and you'll get more time to explore.

Anyway, just an option for you.
Wildman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,473
Mountain pass routes....(in fact anywhere you ride here will be good really)

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Route_des_cols

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
mickshere
Adventurer

Nice pictures, much to my embarrassment I dont speak french could you give the link in english please
Old 01-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
mickshere
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Just a thought but have you considered the Portsmouth/Plymouth to Bilbao/Santander ferries? They're not cheap but take off the fuel and accommodation cost for the route there and back and it's only a moderate additional cost and you'll get more time to explore.

yep, we're going portsmouth to bilbao returning roscoff to plymouth, as you say the crossing is expensive but offset against the hotel and fuel costs, and the convenience they seem the way to go for us
Old 01-02-2013, 01:41 AM   #12
ullukk OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post

Yes iv'e been giving the Portsmouth/Bilbao ferry a thought but think i'll probably take the riding through France option, been to France a few times over the years but never on motorcycle so time permitting i'm looking forward to riding to the Pyrenees as much as staying there. The will i be bored out of my brain factor comes into it as well, iv'e never been on a ferry for 24 hours solid before, iv'e done the get well drunk and crash out in cabin on overnight Hull/Zeebrugge crossings before but i want to keep alcohol to a minimum on this trip, boring fart arnt i!! Ha ha!!

Thanks for reply all the same.

Keith.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
Ming the Merciless
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Hi Keith.

2 of us rode down from Plymouth/Roscoff, through France and stayed just west of San Sebastien for a week in a great campsite. Another mate took the ferry to Santander and rode across to join us. I think they may have made a mistake but they charged us about 50 euros for all 3 pitches for 5 days.

Anyways....we were on KTM 950 ADVs and did about 300 miles a day, wild camping on the first night. N roads were fine (Route Napoleon I think most of the way). Plenty of fuel and food stops en route but watch for the "hidden" speed cameras by the side of the road that look like WWII pill boxes

Once there, we got a Michelin map and looked at all the squiggly lines that were roads and headed in a different direction each day.

The Fazer will probably be better than my KTM on all bar the twistiest of hairpins. My mate who joined us on his K1600 was fine and only suffered on the nadgery bends.

Fuel is way cheaper over the border in Spain compared to France so if you are crossing borders make sure you fill up in the correct country......
Ming the Merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,473
Yip...if you look at www.viamichelin.com and click on the Maps...any road that is bounded with a green highlighter will be officially scenic...as before you really can't go wrong where ever you take a ride out...it's that good really!!
:)

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:41 AM   #15
ullukk OP
Adventurer

Thanks Ming and WIBO for replies and links folks, for the journey through France and back i plan on camping maybe, taking minimal camping gear but for the week i'm based in the Basque Country i plan on getting an hotel/apartment. Michelin maps have been ordered, gunna try and stick to N roads and scenic routes for full trip, think the fazer might struggle a bit two up on the twisties but i intend on taking it steady so i'm not too concerned.

Cheers.

Keith.