Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
Bridude OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
NEW DR350SE Owner!!

Hi guys/gals!

This is my 3rd thread in this forum. You've been very helpful in helping me decide which bike to purchase. I found a 1997 DR350SE with 6500 miles. I am 3rd owner and it appears to be stock. Last owner installed a Corbin seat that I didn't like. (I didn't like the look of the seat AND it forced me forward toward the tank). Luckily, he also had kept the stock seat, so I have reinstalled original seat and will be selling the Corbin seat.

Anyway, since I have bought this bike just in time for a North Carolina winter, what do you suggest I do to keep this bike in good running condition during the cold months ahead where it will see very limited use?

- Should I remove battery? Should I add fuel stablilizer? etc.......

Thanks for your input!

Here's a pic WITH the Corbin seat.........
[img]
photo storage

And here's a pic with the original seat installed.....Ready to Ride!!
[img]
image upload
Bridude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Royal Tiger
Pz VI B, Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer: 1,394
It probably doesn't get as cold in North Carolina as it does here in northern Pennsylvania, but where you store it matters as well. My bikes are in an insulated, but un heated garage. I keep them on a battery tender and filled the gas tanks. I mixed in some blue Stabil and ran the motors for about 7-8 minutes then filled the tires up about 5-6 psi over what I normally run. Then cover and lust for springtime.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Bridude OP
Adventurer

I will be storing in an outside storage building, with lawn equipment. Not insulated, but dry.

Definitely not as cold here in NC as where you are, but still too cold for me to be out riding around!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
flyinfuzz
2 Quarts low

Oddometer: 1,750
Battery tender , heavy dose of stabil run the bike long enough to get treated fuel in carb, get the tires off the ground if you can . Lube the chain . Make sure the stock fuel valve is not leaking fuel or you might have a crankcase full in the spring.
If you decide you don't like the stock seat try Seat concepts .
Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
shep546
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Another trick I know some guys do is pull your spark plug, drop a tablespoon of oil down there, leave the plug out and run your starter/kicker for a few cycles then replace your spark plug.

Helps lubricate your cylinder and rings with oil over the winter.
shep546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #6
DarrenR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
the idle jet is prone to gum up if left for some time make sure you drain the carb down.
I don't get enough time to ride mine and this can be a problem.
DarrenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Bridude OP
Adventurer

Dealer wanting to adjust valves!!??

Since it's been a while since I've owned a bike, I took my new-to-me 1997 DR350 to a dealer to check everything out and do an oil/filter change.

They just called and everything checks out fine, but they seem to think the valves have never been adjusted (it has 6700 original miles on it) and want an additional $150 to adjust valves and another $40 to flush and replace the brake fluid.

Since I really have no history on the bike, should I let them do this? Are prices fair?

Thanks!