Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Vankaye OP
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 221
First time rider to Ocala Nat. Forest

Hi FF's

I am planning to take my wife to Ocala on Sunday (tomorrow) for her first dual sport ride on her (new to her) XT225...
Could you fine folks recommend an area that would be good for a first time rider? We both have plated bikes. Mine is a 99 DR350...
I'm hoping I can put a few hours of seat time in with her on dirt roads. Not sand and Not asphault. I would like to see
her ride her own gradient.

The idea is to get her up there a few times and get her riding some off-road before she can come to Croom with me, where it is mostly sand. I'm very certain that she is not ready for sand and needs to get some easy off-road riding up in the forest before hand.

Thanks in advance for you suggestions!
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 713
The two prevalent type roads (not counting atv trails) in OcNF are graded clay and two track jeep trails. Nearly all the clay roads are dead straight and run E/W or N/S. The jeep trails are squiggly and sandy all or in part unless it just rained.

A couple not so straight clay roads are shown on the map, at the bottom FR10 (it's now FR46 I think) and the road out to the ferry from Salt Springs. Also the two diagonal roads at the top are jeep trails that aren't sandy, fun and noob friendly. The rest are just suggestions for tying it together.

http://goo.gl/maps/eE5rR

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350

waybill screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 12:14 PM
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,815
Do you have full knobs on her bike? Put a dedicated sand tire on the front, it makes all the difference, especially while learning sand.

On the West side of 314A (SE 160 Ave), North of 464C and South of SR 40 is good riding for a n00b. Not too much sand out there, but it will be wet right now. Some of the mud holes are easy to cross, some not so much.

You won't do much riding in ONF without sand, I would just take her straight to the powerline and have her ride standing up in 2nd gear until she gets it.

Here is a tired woman, after riding the powerline.

Sand, its whats for dinner.

This is in the area I was talking about.
Philip Kuntz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Mugwest

Oddometer: 6,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Kuntz View Post
Here is a tired woman, after riding the powerline.
and she possesses one of the best attitudes in all of motorcycling. Seen it.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
KimPossible
XT Diver!:)

Oddometer: 816
Thank you, Mug.:)

People often ask me, "Did I learn how to ride because of Jerry?" The answer is, "Yes!" When we were dating I had my first ride on a motorcycle in years and it felt great. I told him I wouldn't mind learning how to ride and he was surprised. In fact, Jerry told me it didn't matter whether I rode or not.:) Then he offered to teach me how to ride off road first, because I could build skills for the street. I prefer off road to street riding, but I've lost confidence since my accident in 2009.

Back on topic...... Ocala National Forest would be a great place for your wife to learn. I like riding Osceola National Forest when it's not under water.
KimPossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,815
In fact, Richloam would be a better place to avoid sand. Just watch out for mud holes. Rumor has it they call it Richloam because it sounds better than Swampmuck.

Mudhole FAIL!

Sand FAIL. But ready for more!

Philip Kuntz screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 06:17 PM
Philip Kuntz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
FL Pepper
OMGWTFFTW

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Kuntz View Post
That's a nice pic Kim

The XT is a fun bike to learn sand on, I took it on my maiden voyage to the pit. I miss that bike.

Last time I was in Richloam it was still quite wet.
Central Sandbox Tag-O-Rama Maps
FL Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
Vankaye OP
n00b on the move

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by waybill View Post
The two prevalent type roads (not counting atv trails) in OcNF are graded clay and two track jeep trails. Nearly all the clay roads are dead straight and run E/W or N/S. The jeep trails are squiggly and sandy all or in part unless it just rained.

A couple not so straight clay roads are shown on the map, at the bottom FR10 (it's now FR46 I think) and the road out to the ferry from Salt Springs. Also the two diagonal roads at the top are jeep trails that aren't sandy, fun and noob friendly. The rest are just suggestions for tying it together.

http://goo.gl/maps/eE5rR
Thank you so much waybill!! Your suggestions were perfect. I kept your map on my GPS and stuck pretty close to the blue lines!!
We mostly stayed on the southeast loop using jeep trails between the two east-west routes. The clay roads were absolutely perfect for my wife. She was challenged just being off-road for the first half of the day but after finding a little sand she quickly realized that the clay roads were easy.
She got about 30 miles under her belt! Great day!!

OnF is beautiful. Can't wait to go back!
Vankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankaye View Post
Thank you so much waybill!! Your suggestions were perfect. I kept your map on my GPS and stuck pretty close to the blue lines!!
We mostly stayed on the southeast loop using jeep trails between the two east-west routes. The clay roads were absolutely perfect for my wife. She was challenged just being off-road for the first half of the day but after finding a little sand she quickly realized that the clay roads were easy.
She got about 30 miles under her belt! Great day!!

OnF is beautiful. Can't wait to go back!
OcNF is like the warden in 'Cool Hand Luke', it can be reeeal nice or it can be a mean sumbitch.

Deep sand and dirt noobs don't mix well the first time out. Glad you enjoyed it, it is beautiful.

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote