ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
2wheeljunkie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Noob Intro

So I don't normally get into these forum things but I've been lurking for a few months, decided there's some great info here and went out and bought a 2012 990 Adventure a few weeks ago. Like many, I was considering the BMW GS 1200 Adventure, the Tenere and the KTM. I read tons of stuff about all of them and to be honest, I rode none of them. My last motorcycle was a 1990 Honda CB-1 (The little bike that could). I bought that bike because it made me laugh out loud as the tach hit it's 13,500 red line. To me, that is what any wheeled hobby should do. It should provide me with a place where the world goes away and I find myself grinning (or laughing) even if I'm riding by myself. Most of my life, I've been a cyclist (as in bicyclist). Every form of cycling but mountain biking is my true love. Bombing some flowy singletrack has always put that smile on my face. For a number of reasons, mountain biking has become less accessible to me and motorcycles have become appealing to me again. So I did my research on here and a few other places and kept coming back to the KTM. My local dealer called me about a month ago and said we'll give you one for $12,999. That was about the price I was looking for (seemed a little more realistic than $21,000 for a GSA) and a few weeks later I went and did it. I left the dealer's lot half scared (It's been a while since I've ridden) but got my shit down pretty quick and found myself playing in a dirt field until about 10 that night. Long winded intro here, but the point of all this rambling is that I bought the bike because of what I read here. I kept coming back to the "grin" that everyone kept talking about. That and I remember someone describing the bike as a "Lion with his nuts twisted up in a rubber band" or something to that effect. That sounded fun to me. At any rate, thanks for letting me share and I'm sure I'll be picking brains for info in the future.
2wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
skipman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Welcome,,,,your gonna love it , and the info on here is almost endless...

'10 KTM 990r
skipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
fredN4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeljunkie View Post
So I don't normally get into these forum things but I've been lurking for a few months, decided there's some great info here and went out and bought a 2012 990 Adventure a few weeks ago. Like many, I was considering the BMW GS 1200 Adventure, the Tenere and the KTM. I read tons of stuff about all of them and to be honest, I rode none of them. My last motorcycle was a 1990 Honda CB-1 (The little bike that could). I bought that bike because it made me laugh out loud as the tach hit it's 13,500 red line. To me, that is what any wheeled hobby should do. It should provide me with a place where the world goes away and I find myself grinning (or laughing) even if I'm riding by myself. Most of my life, I've been a cyclist (as in bicyclist). Every form of cycling but mountain biking is my true love. Bombing some flowy singletrack has always put that smile on my face. For a number of reasons, mountain biking has become less accessible to me and motorcycles have become appealing to me again. So I did my research on here and a few other places and kept coming back to the KTM. My local dealer called me about a month ago and said we'll give you one for $12,999. That was about the price I was looking for (seemed a little more realistic than $21,000 for a GSA) and a few weeks later I went and did it. I left the dealer's lot half scared (It's been a while since I've ridden) but got my shit down pretty quick and found myself playing in a dirt field until about 10 that night. Long winded intro here, but the point of all this rambling is that I bought the bike because of what I read here. I kept coming back to the "grin" that everyone kept talking about. That and I remember someone describing the bike as a "Lion with his nuts twisted up in a rubber band" or something to that effect. That sounded fun to me. At any rate, thanks for letting me share and I'm sure I'll be picking brains for info in the future.
I dont believe you are a Noob at all! Maybe to this forum, yes. But loved your post. I bought my KTM 950 last year having only ridden briefly a Bmw 800GS and a BMW 1150GS. I didnt ride them to compare - I just happened to be offered the chance while on holiday. But this forum "encouraged" me to try a KTM and I am very happy that I did.
fredN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
RozzyCat
Bleeds orange

Oddometer: 484
Start here

Welcome...here's a great place to start:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769525
Old 12-30-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 876
I like your intro. Welcome from another newb.

Gotta love some bikes. I`m hoping my 950 is going to make me smile like my 03 Tuono Racing does.

Def a great resource here.
rossguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,777
Congrats
PABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
2wheeljunkie OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Thanks all. RozzyCat, the link you posted is awesome. I've been reading thru some of that stuff. Very helpful. There of course are people out there that make it sound like you're working on this bike after every single ride. It seems to me that regular maintenance and upgrading a few things will keep this bike running for a long damn time. Either way, I love riding the thing. It terrifies me and delights me all at once.
2wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,525
grin factor is going to be high! welcome to the OC
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,423
Welcome.

Now give us a hint where in California you're located. Sometimes we get several bikes together for rides in the hills.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
ceebaileys
Shield Manufacturer

Oddometer: 185
Congrats and Welcome
www.facebook.com/ceebaileys
ceebaileys is offline   Reply With Quote