ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
justinallen03 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: greenville, sc
Oddometer: 212
Which shocks? - Hyperpro or Ohlins TTX

Looking for help to narrow down which shock setup to get for my non-ESA 2010 GS between Ohlins TTX and Hyperpro 367/467 series. The set I get will be GSA length and have the hydraulic preload. The riding style is as much off-road as I can get, but a lot of road riding mixed in. And I like to look for the tough off road (well, as tough as I can find in the East), so shock robustness is key

I've read good things about the Hyperpro, and until today, I thought I was dead-set on getting these. Reports I've read from inmates say they are strong and reliable with a great ride and adustability. Progressive springs seem nice from an off road perspective, where I definitely have a tendency to bottom out.

I just started reading about the Ohlins TTX today, but really couldnt find any reports on them for the GS. They seem robust, and the few things ive read on some mx forums and sport bike forums say good things, but I dont know how that translates. I like the innovations that allow less gas pressure in the reservoir, seemingly making the shock less prone to leakage, but I wonder how that design affects robustness and longevity.

Any help would be fantastic

justinallen03 screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 05:30 PM
justinallen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer
 
everycredit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Tacoma
Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinallen03 View Post
Looking for help to narrow down which shock setup to get for my non-ESA 2010 GS between Ohlins TTX and Hyperpro 367/467 series. The set I get will be GSA length and have the hydraulic preload. The riding style is as much off-road as I can get, but a lot of road riding mixed in. And I like to look for the tough off road (well, as tough as I can find in the East), so shock robustness is key

I've read good things about the Hyperpro, and until today, I thought I was dead-set on getting these. Reports I've read from inmates say they are strong and reliable with a great ride and adustability. Progressive springs seem nice from an off road perspective, where I definitely have a tendency to bottom out.

I just started reading about the Ohlins TTX today, but really couldnt find any reports on them for the GS. They seem robust, and the few things ive read on some mx forums and sport bike forums say good things, but I dont know how that translates. I like the innovations that allow less gas pressure in the reservoir, seemingly making the shock less prone to leakage, but I wonder how that design affects robustness and longevity.

Any help would be fantastic
I have an Ohlins rear shock on my R1150GS Adv. Works great, no complaints.

I can't speak about Hyperpro, but Ohlins makes a great product and seems to be the "gold" standard for motorcycle shocks. I think you'll know what you're getting with Ohlins, but what's the adventure in that?

Don't mean to be a product whore.
everycredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
hoss18
Gnarly Adventurer
 
hoss18's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Perth WA
Oddometer: 123
Ive got Hyperpro on my R1100GS and Ive had the standard Ohlins on my R100GS. I cant help re the new Ohlins version. My impression is that the hyperpro is like a robust? version of a medium - good quality shock. Its almost like they took the design of a good older version shock and upgraded the components to make it a little bit stronger?? (just my impression). It works well on the R11 and Ive never regretted it on the gravel tracks around Perth. Ive only put ~5000ks on it but it has handled everything I have done on it so far. The Ohlins is a different? animal It is far more sophisticated? /modern design (compression/rebound/preload etc and has separate gas/oil chambers) it also cost nearly 50% more. It does everything well and its one of those things where once you have found the right setting you tend to forget its there and just ride - but for the average rider (like me) in most circumstances I think its overkill . Its like a lot of things in life the first 80-90% of improvement comes relatively easy the next 10% to 20% gets really expensive.
__________________
BMW - a love hate relationship
hoss18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #4
everycredit
Gnarly Adventurer
 
everycredit's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Tacoma
Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss18 View Post
Its like a lot of things in life the first 80-90% of improvement comes relatively easy the next 10% to 20% gets really expensive.
This more than anything. 80% quality is cheap. Getting to 100%; sky's the limit.
everycredit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:16 AM   #5
justinallen03 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: greenville, sc
Oddometer: 212
Oddly enough, I can get the Ohlins cheaper, even before adding the preload adjuster (price is about $350 higher as spec'd). At these prices, I would be willing to pay the difference for the 'pros if they were of better quality and build.

The one thing i think I do prefer, though, is that the hyperpro preload adjuster can mount to the shock (like the stock config), whereas the ohlins one has to be mounted to the frame.

If anyone does have alternative ways to mount the ohlins preload adjuster, I'd love to see them.

Ohlins TTX front:


Ohlins TTX rear


Hyperpro front and rear
justinallen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
mwood7800
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Oddometer: 524
Ohlins. 100%
mwood7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
BigDave75
Will Work for Food!
 
BigDave75's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: God's Country
Oddometer: 1,734
Ohlins on all my bikes.
__________________
Rangers Lead the Way, Hooah!
BigDave75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #8
flatland964
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago suburbs
Oddometer: 171
Not to answer your question, but to add even more choices, I ordered a set of Yacuga shocks fro Ted Porter's Beemer Shop for me 2001 1150GS. I have not received them yet, so I can't speak to them personally, but I can tell you that Ted convinced me they were the best choice for my bike based on the loads I'd be carrying (wife and luggage). He convinced me that they have superior strength (based on a larger diameter internal rod) and better responsiveness based on the use of a bladder instead of a solid diaphram (he can certainly explain better), and a longer life between rebuilds than the Ohlins (although maybe not than Wilbers). I assume they are also made for your bike.

I ordered the three way, with all adjustments. The price is at about the same as Ohlins.

You might give him a call and see what he says about your application. He also sells Wilbers and Ohlins, so I could have gotten any of them from him.
__________________
___________
2009 BMW F650GS
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2001 BMW R1150GS
flatland964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
cluster148
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Del Rio Tennessee
Oddometer: 61
Shocks

I've got over 500K on BMWs,mostly GSs and had all brands of aftermarket shocks.In all honesty,I can't tell the difference between stock,Ohlins,Hyperpro and others.For years I bought stock shocks that somebody took off their bike with 200 miles on them.My decision typically had more to do with whether I had $1,500 to invest/waste.lol
__________________
Clark
cluster148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #10
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer
 
VEGASGSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 6,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by cluster148 View Post
I've got over 500K on BMWs,mostly GSs and had all brands of aftermarket shocks.In all honesty,I can't tell the difference between stock,Ohlins,Hyperpro and others.For years I bought stock shocks that somebody took off their bike with 200 miles on them.My decision typically had more to do with whether I had $1,500 to invest/waste.lol
Damn..I hope you're kidding..can't tell the difference, really?

Suspension should always be the FIRST farkle.

I have destroyed a stock rear shock in less than 5000 miles..twice..another lasted maybe 10k..

The handling difference on road is night and day.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You are not half as ugly as I thought you would be!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #11
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer
 
Moronic's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Oddometer: 1,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinallen03 View Post
The one thing i think I do prefer, though, is that the hyperpro preload adjuster can mount to the shock (like the stock config), whereas the ohlins one has to be mounted to the frame.

If anyone does have alternative ways to mount the ohlins preload adjuster, I'd love to see them.

You can get a shock-mounted hydraulic preload adjuster from Ohlins that is very similar to that on the Hyperpro unit:



and



and for some applications they will mount the hose-fed adjuster to the reservior:




Ohlins probably thinks the frame-mount gives more convenient access. Other possibility is that their shock-mounted (their term is integrated) adjuster won't fit on the GS.
__________________
Sorting out the S4Rs Ohlins shock: click here.
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #12
rboett
posser noob 205
 
rboett's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2002
Location: nwa
Oddometer: 1,648
I had ohlins on my r1100gs, really great.

Oh, If you do go with the longer GSA shocks, don't forget to consider the impact on your center stand and the side stand.
__________________
That'L do Pig,, That'L do
rboett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #13
jachard
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: NYC, CT
Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatland964 View Post
Not to answer your question, but to add even more choices, I ordered a set of Yacuga shocks fro Ted Porter's Beemer Shop for me 2001 1150GS. I have not received them yet, so I can't speak to them personally, but I can tell you that Ted convinced me they were the best choice for my bike based on the loads I'd be carrying (wife and luggage). He convinced me that they have superior strength (based on a larger diameter internal rod) and better responsiveness based on the use of a bladder instead of a solid diaphram (he can certainly explain better), and a longer life between rebuilds than the Ohlins (although maybe not than Wilbers). I assume they are also made for your bike.

I ordered the three way, with all adjustments. The price is at about the same as Ohlins.

You might give him a call and see what he says about your application. He also sells Wilbers and Ohlins, so I could have gotten any of them from him.

I have a set of Yacugars for my 1200GS and I just installed them. Very well made product and with the steel bodies they are a bit more appropriate for our weight bikes and the adventure type conditions we ride in. Don't get me wrong, Ohlins are excellent shocks but IMO more appropriate on a race bike. Once you ride a shock with an air bladder vs. a piston, you won't go back. The difference is really impressive, much more plush in the dirt, washboard type situations.

With all aftermarket shocks though, one has to spend the time and experiment with the settings! Typically, my MO is to find a stretch of dirt that I can go up and down on and write down notes on how the different changes effect the ride etc. This helps one remember and get to know your bike better.


Cheers, James
__________________
2005 640e
2012 R1200GS Rallye
1993 Porsche 964 RS

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
justinallen03 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: greenville, sc
Oddometer: 212
thanks for the comments

I gave Ted a call the other night, and we talked at great length about his personal experiences with the ohlins shocks and the Yacugar shocks. We even brushed on the reasoning behind him choosing to become a US distributor of Yacugar. Very nice guy, and very honest. Also, about as objective as one could be on the subject of something very personal. Price is a little cheaper than the equivalent Hyperpro offerings.

In the end, after reading and talking to different people, I am convinced that I should go with a single rate spring, and that it appears from all visual indicators that Yacugar and Hyperpro are essentially the same components, with one pushing progressive springs and the latter standard springs (although both can do either).

The one thing now in my mind is...service. Does anyone know who could service Yacugar on the East Coast (preferably the carolinas)? I would like to avoid having to mail the shocks back to Cali every 2 years for rebuilds, but I guess its not much different than having to ship Hyperpros back to NJ.

I think I'm leaning away from the Ohlins. From discussions with Ted, reviewing the Ohlins website (which discusses a TTX redesign on MX shocks that hasnt trickled down to the GS offerings yet), and looking at some flow path diagrams of a Twin tube styled shock, I don't feel it's the right choice for me. I also prefer the preload adjuster mount on the Yac/Pro body.
justinallen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014