User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Bungholio OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
heated grips throttle drag

I have noticed a weird problem when using the heated grips on my 1999 R1100GS. The throttle tightens up and I have to turn it back to the closed position-the spring will not return the throttle. Works great for cruise control but is not very smooth to ride at slower speeds. Is it just swelling with the heat and binding on the bar? Anyone else notice this and/or have a solution?
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
Graminal95
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I have the same problem with my 95 gs. The grips are just old and not glued in place well anymore, but so when they get hot and swell they rub on the bar weight. I think it's like 13 bucks each side for new grips from the dealer, which I will be purchasing this spring to fix the problem.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,819
I had the same issue on my R1150GS 2002 model. The grips were getting just a bit longer when they heated up and were rubbing on the hand guard. A simple washer under the hand guard solved it.

Marc
Old 01-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
Bungholio OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys, I'll have to check that out.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
We had a riders grip do the same thing on a 2006 ST. She has the Throttle Mister. They need to adjust it with the proper shim.

Are you running a throttle lock ?
Multiplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:37 AM   #6
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,625
I had the same problem on my 1150, the grip would swell with heat and bind against the throttle lock. I solved the problem by letting the grip get warm to the point of binding, loosening the clamp hardware that holds the assembly to the bar and scooching it inward a hair - just so it cleared the throttle lock.

The lock still works when I want it to, but the enlarged grip doesn't bind on it.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #7
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,736
on my 1150 2 years back, I replaced the throttle cables.

I allso put in a the upgrade throttle pully thing, it fits in to the houseing at the twist grip assy. I dont know if there is something similar for the 1100.

Remember, dont lube the throttle cables!

(I know this isnt specifically what you asked for but a 10% and 5% there adds up )

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
I had the same problem on my 1150, the grip would swell with heat and bind against the throttle lock. I solved the problem by letting the grip get warm to the point of binding, loosening the clamp hardware that holds the assembly to the bar and scooching it inward a hair - just so it cleared the throttle lock.

The lock still works when I want it to, but the enlarged grip doesn't bind on it.
This is the typical fix for such an issue.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
Bungholio OP
Studly Adventurer

I went out and checked the grip and it seems very possible that it is swelling and hitting the bar end weight. Clearance there was very close and quite possibly touching. I placed a washer under the end cap and there is now about .020" clearance. I will ride soon I hope and check then. I am not running a throttle lock except for the thumb screw that is in the throttle housing(is that what you were referring to). It is backed out.

I just got this bike in April and only rode it a few times through may then broke my ankle in june so did not get to ride until September. I first noticed this problem in October when the weather was cold enough to require heat. I hope that is all it is.

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:39 AM   #10
Bungholio OP
Studly Adventurer

Went for a ride tonight with the grip heaters on and no binding. The washer under the bar end weight did the trick.