User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
espacef1fan OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Pilot Road 3s on a sportbike. Feedback?

I'm really on the fence between getting some Pilot Road 3s or a conventional sport tire such as a Bridgestone S20 or similar.

I'm hoping to get some useful feedback from this very diverse(and adult...err...adolescent at times..lol) community.

Specifically I am concerned that I may end up on my head more easily on the Pilot Road 3s when being enthusiastic...

I am most concerned about the feel of the tires and steering effort.

I've read reviews on alot of these tires, and I'm aware the PR3s wear longer, etc......but I find personal experiences shared tend to be a bit better/more trustworthy than paid by advertiser magazine guys.
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,452
I have them on my Bandit 650, and I really like them.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,193
They don't handle like a true sport tire because they have a flatter profile. If you want the bike to effortlessly fall into turns (at the expense of stability when upright), then stick with a sport tire (pun intended). You also sacrifice grip for longevity. Personally, I tend to run a sport front with a sport touring rear and replace tires in sets even though the front isn't spanked when the rear is. It really depends on how hard you ride. Modern ST rubber is pretty dang good, but if you're running hard (near track day speeds) then you want sticky rubber IMO.
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
What bike are they going on? Trackday or knee dragging enthusiastic?

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
This depends on what type of riding you're going to be doing.

But quite honestly, if you're literally OUTRIDING a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3's or Bridgestone BT-023's, you need to get your ass on a track and off the roads.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
espacef1fan OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
They don't handle like a true sport tire because they have a flatter profile. If you want the bike to effortlessly fall into turns (at the expense of stability when upright), then stick with a sport tire (pun intended). You also sacrifice grip for longevity. Personally, I tend to run a sport front with a sport touring rear and replace tires in sets even though the front isn't spanked when the rear is. It really depends on how hard you ride. Modern ST rubber is pretty dang good, but if you're running hard (near track day speeds) then you want sticky rubber IMO.

If I'm honest I might guess I am between track speed(below) and above legal speed(not hard on most good roads) My speed might be more if I wasnt so worried about things you dont encounter at the track..like cops....crap in the road..traffic..pedestrians..etc... Though there are a few "spots" I know of that stuff like that is of little concern....

I ride alone frequently though so I dont have a good gauge of how fast I am?!?!

In any case...Im sure the flamers are already typing away....Its cool..I wear nomex for work everyday. Seriously. Being flight crew in the military rules;)
Old 12-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
espacef1fan OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementalg20 View Post
What bike are they going on? Trackday or knee dragging enthusiastic?
98 TL1000R
Dynoed about 130 at the wheel and has the Rotary Damper of Death replaced with a Bitubo shock.
I want to go to trackdays....but...its not likely in the foreseeable future because of cost and travel..

Knee dragging? I dont try to, I just figure one day my knee will touch the ground when I'm hanging off in the right position at the right pace, I dont hang off on the street very much though, unless I'm in a parking lot or at "the spot"

espacef1fan screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 06:46 PM
Old 12-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
espacef1fan OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post

But quite honestly, if you're literally OUTRIDING a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3's or Bridgestone BT-023's, you need to get your ass on a track and off the roads.
Its less about OUTRIDING and more about "feel"

Like I can ride the wife's Ninja 650 to the edge of the tires with Shinko 009s on it..but it FEELS like an act of blind faith more than something the bike wants to do. The POLAR OPPOSITE of what my GSXR did. Or my Ninja 250 on BT45s.

In other words..the Shinkos just feel "funny" all the time, I wish I could be more descriptive but I just dont have alot of tire experience.

I had ContiMotions on my last TLR and they always gripped, but had the same odd feeling when leaned over that the Shinkos have.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #9
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,422
I'm running Metzeler Z8s on my 955 Daytona and even though it's a sport touring tire i haven't had any problems with "feel" or grip on the street. Previously ran Michelin Pilot Power 2CT. Not regretting it one little bit.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #10
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,101
I wouldnt be surprised if the carcass of the pilot road and pilot power are the same-just different rubber compound.I have known guys with sport bikes that ended up using them for commuting and switched to sport touring tires-no difference noticed.The motorcycle tire companies have got us brainwashed into thinking we need the latest & greatest tires.I have some of the original pilot roads on my fz1 that I got on a close out sale cheap and I like them.The pr3's look they would be good in the rain.
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:40 AM   #11
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,150
I was shocked at how much I like the PR2 better than BT-023. the mich will resist squaring off longer and be less affected. mich will last longer too

if you want excellent feed back and better turn in go with a PR2/3 or S20 type front tire.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #12
Contevita
Cigar Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post

This!

I'm running Pilot 3's on my Blackbird and I love them. Then again my ride is set up for sport-touring and I love how well these tires handle in the rain, heavy rain. Will I purchase another set when these finally wear out? I think I will, I like them that much.
Contevita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:29 AM   #13
Tiggersteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Running PR3's on my Tiger 1050,
It's the most popular on the Tiger 1050 site,
They have a very neutral feel, stable and warm up quickly,
They certainly aren't lacking grip, beauty of duel compounds,

Sent from my Sony Ericsson arc s using Tapatalk 2
Tiggersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #14
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 881
My two cents....

I own an RC51, a Ducati Monster, and a Suzuki V-Strom 650.

I have Pilot Power Pures on the Monster and RC51.

I used to run the first gen Pilot Roads on the Monster.

FWIW, for street riding, the Pilot Roads were fine on the Monster. While I sense the Pilot Power Pures have more ultimate grip, and turn-in quicker, for street riding, they aren't enough better for the tread life lost.

I just put the new Pilot Road 3 Trail tires on the V-Strom.

I had been running the Continental Road Attack II.

The Pilot Road 3 Trails are AMAZING!!!!!

I would definitley put the Pilot Road 3 tires on your bike and don't look back.

If you hate them, just replace them with the new Pilot Power 3 when they hit the shelves in the next few weeks.

Cheers.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #15
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,832
I run PR2's on my ZX-14 with no complaints. They last long, even with the motor, and haven't given me any reason not to use them. The last rear had about 4500 miles in it when I picked up a nail and changed it out, but had plenty of life left. I would guess it would have hit 8,000 easy. Front currently has 5,000 on it and looks fine.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote