User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #1
ZFenderguy OP
quarter liter beater

Oddometer: 36
TN-AL-GA Border Ride

Today I decided to get out and reflect on Memorial Day by going on a mission to see what's at the intersection of the three great Southern states mentioned in the thread topic. Google images of the site are lacking at best, and it looks like it has been marked a few different ways over the years. I ended up turning the ride into a 250 miler, a true 250 on a 250 if you will, and getting in some decent off road in the process. This thread is to highlight some of the nicer parts of the surrounding area, and to kick off a new series of border rides I plan to go on this year. Anyone who has been around here before, and knows of some more great roads/trails in the area, comment below. I feel that this area has a ton more to offer.

I took off from Murfreesboro and headed south down 41 to Monteagle. Plenty of curves going up the mountain, and after a splash of gas in my tiny 2.0 gallon tank, I headed south on 41A to TN 156. A short ride down 156 brought me to Franklin State Forest, and trailheads all over the place. Mission diverted due to uncontrollable urge to hit the trails.

After several miles of trails, I connected to the Old CCC road. A road cut out under the Civilian Conservation Corps initiative during the depression. It was mostly hard pack and marbles.

One of the trails linked me back up with 156, and I got back on task and headed toward Nickajack Lake.

Following the GPS, I turned down a couple back roads to get as close to the 3 state border as I could. The closest I could get on the bike left me about 500 ft from the point, which is well protected by dense woods and big rocks.

I hopped off the bike and started hiking through the woods with the GPS. Once I got to the spot, I had to look around for a few minutes and climb a few rocks. Finally, something man-made appeared in the thick vegetation. It was the remains of the old line marker and a new marker, showing the exact spot. I climbed around it and got back to the bike.

Continuing into Jackson County, AL, I followed the Tennessee River for several miles on CR 91. Quick diversions onto neighboring roads made for some fun twisties, crossing in and out of Georgia.

I have a habit of looking for ways under big bridges I ride over. It will probably be my demise one day.

Weaving these three states together proved to be a great ride. I plan to scratch around and ride border lines of these neighboring states and others soon. Too bad I can't do the same for TN-AL-MS. That's in the middle of Pickwick Lake...
Old 05-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,687
I have passed by that tri-state area on I-24 many times and wondered what the physical marker was. Thanks for sharing. - Lee
beemerphile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
telejojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Nice pics I been on some of the roads you were on.Is that the bridge at So. Pittsburg?
Old 05-25-2014, 04:33 AM   #4
ZFenderguy OP
quarter liter beater

That first bridge is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #5
7milesout
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Big Thanks...

I'm from the Chattanooge / Ringgold area. I'm not living there now. I'm just south of Atlanta. But I have thought about that point where the 3 states meet so many times. I should have made that a point to go there on my bike, but haven't done it. That whole area is sort of a sad area for me now, as my younger brother is buried very near there.

I always wondered if there was anything to mark the spot. I so much appreciated this topic!

If you have any desire to go on that ride again, just let me know when. I'm in! PM me if you care to.

7milesout
7milesout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
ZFenderguy OP
quarter liter beater

Will do. Sorry to hear about the loss of your brother. I'll keep you in mind, because I'm sure I'll be going back there again sometime soon. I'm working on a new route since I found several new roads on this ride that I didn't pay attention to on the first route I did. So much great riding around there.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
Rutabaga
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 729
Thanks. I like the three state marker find. Interesting way to journey with your method.
Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 722
Thanks for the trip...
All that green is hard on my eyes we are used to brown or sage colors here in AZ
Old 06-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
CatalystXXL18
n00b to ADV's!

Oddometer: 5
Very nice report. Thanks for the inspiration! I did a trip very similar to yours and wrote a ride report about it. I guess because I'm still new here it's being evaluated by the "moderators". I don't know exactly where you live at around here but I think we live very close to each other. We should try to meet up for a ride sometime.
CatalystXXL18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:21 AM   #10
ZFenderguy OP
quarter liter beater

Sounds good. I'd like to see your RR too. You can just keep going in that area and find endless awesome roads and plenty of off road too. There was some more gnarly off road stuff I found that I didn't do because I wanted to have someone else along.