User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
guiri OP
Looking for a good home..

Oddometer: 1,118
Recommend me a warm, waterproof jacket please

I just bought a Vee and need some riding gear. I'm a little indecisive about what to get so let me tell you what I have.

I bought a Walls heavy duty work jacket (carhartt type) and this thing is nice and thick and would protect me
pretty well in a fall from scrapes at least.
Of course, it won't protect me from rain, at least not in the long run and besides, even if it's just a little rain
but you're riding far and it's cold, you WILL get cold regardless.

At first, I thought I'd get just a rain jacket to put on top but a few minutes ago, I decided to see how it fits
and it's kinda way too big which means, I'll have a hard time finding a rain jacket that'll fit on top and also,
I thought, I'll sell the Walls, buy a smaller one and then buy a rain jacket.

Then it struck me, why not buy an insulated waterproof jacket, so I came to ask for some advice but
now I thought of something. If I buy an insulated jacket, I can really only wear it when it's cold and it's almost
never cold here in NC. Granted, I can probably open some flaps or even open up the jacket but being that I'm hot
most of the time, should I go back to the regular rain jacket option and maybe bring along a sweater or something?

Important, IF you recommend a jacket, it CANNOT be lined with fleece. At least no where I can touch it as I CANNOT STAND FLEECE!

Also, I have a HUGE gut so I'll not need around 4x or so, but probably something that's more of a loose fit around the gut. Did I mention it's huge? No? Well, it's huge!
Around 62" around and most size charts don't even list waists and when they do, they're usually not even close.

Some drawstrings around the waist would be nice as I PLAN (good intentions and all that) to lose some weight at some point.
Also, I don't really want to spend too much but I guess I can go to around $350 or so.

So, advice, suggestions, links, etc?

Thanks

George

guiri screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 10:49 AM
guiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,362
I bought a great used Darien by Aerostich this fall for $250 in XXL. It's effing huge, room underneath for whatever you might want to wear as a first or second layer. I got an electric liner with mine, she's toasty, and the Darien certainly waterproof. Frequently see used one's on ADV or ebay for $250-300 that are just like new.

Just a thought. You can go fleece or fleece less, up to you for first layers under it.

I don't miss many pie stops myself, constantly trying to maximize my traction by increasing my personal gravity at 264 pounds-American.

Tourmaster or Joe Rocket my other choices, have had or still have some of each, they were good as well.

Tough to beat the customer service at Aerostich. Stopped in there this fall with mine, told them I got it used and was just looking for a back protection pad as mine did not have it. They insisted on checking the whole jacket out, ran it upstairs to mend a little interior abrasion here and there, and when they gave it back to me you could smell that they touched up the Nikwax water repellent. Asked em what I owed for the additional service, they just said "forget it, we will catch ya next time".

You wont get that anywhere else. I am lucky enough to be within a couple hour ride of them. Nice people, they are quick to take you on a tour of their rather modest old building, just plain folks, all spoke English as a first language, which works well with me as I am originally from this planet.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,098
First gear Kilimanjaro

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,789
I've got to agree with UnstableRider. A Darien is hard to beat, especially with your layers of choice under it. You sure won't get wet.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Thumb Olympia

To be specific the AST 2. This jacket is my daily. Not overly expensive and full of features. I've worn it during 100f heat all zipped open with great airflow and currently I commute at 4am in high 20s low 30s warm and cozy with the included inner jacket.
My solution to you is to buy Underarmour tshirts to wear. I use the dry style (moisture wick) during summer and the heat retention type on winter. No need for heated gear on any other bulky extras. Btw the thinsulate inner jacket is NOT fleece lined. And all pockets and seams are water proof.

Here's a link with a vid of the gear. Btw I also own the matching pants and they are great. During winter I wear them as overpants with jeans underneath and I stay warm on my 45 minute commute doing 80 mph on low 30s. Highly recommended.

Link
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-ast-2-jacket

GSAragazzi screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 08:44 AM
GSAragazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
dnorton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I'm not a tiny guy either. A couple of years ago I was looking for gear to wear on a couple weeks long ride where we would be out rain or snow or shine. Looked at lots of various options and even though I don't ride a Harley I landed on the FXRG textile coat. Hopefully the link works - http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

It has a zip out liner, which I zipped out and have never used. I wear a gerbings heated jacket liner under it. It also has two large openings that can be zipped open for cooling if needed.

One of the things I really like about this jacket was the cumber-bun like strap that it has. It helps with with the back support on an extended day of riding. I didn't find that in any other jacket.

I also got the pants. Finding riding pants for a height challenged guy with a big middle isn't easy. These do have a longer inseam than I would like, but they work. The pants can be zipped to the jacket.

I've ridden with this gear in driving rain over the course of several hours and stayed perfectly dry. Without a heated jacket liner, if you get cold there is no way to generate heat. "Coats" just hold in your body heat. With a heated jacket liner with temp control option you can be as warm as you want. If you go for the heated stuff, get the full jacket liner instead of the heated vest. You won't be sorry.
dnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
bete
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
+2 warmest jacket I've ever had, not sold on the 3/4 lenth but otherwise it's great. bete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
First gear Kilimanjaro
bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #8
cardoctor1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
tourmaster reasonably cheap and has kept me dry on many occasions.
IBA#35592
RIDE EVERY RIDE LIKE ITS YOUR LAST
00 R1150GS
cardoctor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
british motorcycle gear 'discovery" jacket

anytime I hear warm and waterproof I think of this jacket - I have lots of gear but this has never let me down, comes with removable inner parka thing, not a great warm weather jacket because of limiting venting

the BMG guys are great to deal with also
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
First gear Kilimanjaro
+1
Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #11
jprovence
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Aplinestars Drystar Capetown.

http://www.amazon.com/Capetown-DrySt...acket+capetown

I'm 6'3" and 270. I have a gut and broad shoulders. It keeps me dry and warm without failing. Iv'e already put it to good use in a 30mph slide with just a few little scuffs to the mesh. It has a waterproof liner in addition to a quilted liner under that. You can replace the waterproof liner with something else if you wanted. Its not fleece anywhere on it.
jprovence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
forrestlaw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoctor1 View Post
tourmaster reasonably cheap and has kept me dry on many occasions.
+1 for tourmaster. Their gear has always given me excellent value for $$$. It really depends on how much you want to spend, though. My experience camping has been that gore-tex is worth it if you can afford it.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #13
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Check out Motoport/Cycleport.No contest.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #14
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Check out Motoport/Cycleport.No contest.
I like my motoport, and it's good gear, but to make it waterproof you need to deal with the liners, which are a pain the ass

If I know it's going to be wet, I reach for different gear - a soaked and heavy jacket, even if you are dry inside the liner is not ideal
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,263
Well,I've used the fabric guard weather proofing spray...no issues.Also,I do not zip-in the liners to the jacket or pants....much easier!. One, "could" also order the liner(s) larger and wear them on the exterior of the garments.With what Motoports garments give in protection,wear/durability etc....it's worth every penny.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote