Old 12-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #16
birdie_xx
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Dry and waterproof ?

Check out the two BMG jackets.

The Challenger and warmer - the Discovery

www.britishmotorcyclegear.com

The first one has few vents, the secon a storm collar.

Both great jackets and you would be buying from an onmate here

Cheers,
birdie_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #17
rebel346
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Thumb Ast-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
To be specific the AST 2. This jacket is my daily. Not overly expensive and full of features. I've worn it during 100f heat all zipped open with great airflow and currently I commute at 4am in high 20s low 30s warm and cozy with the included inner jacket.
My solution to you is to buy Underarmour tshirts to wear. I use the dry style (moisture wick) during summer and the heat retention type on winter. No need for heated gear on any other bulky extras. Btw the thinsulate inner jacket is NOT fleece lined. And all pockets and seams are water proof.

Here's a link with a vid of the gear. Btw I also own the matching pants and they are great. During winter I wear them as overpants with jeans underneath and I stay warm on my 45 minute commute doing 80 mph on low 30s. Highly recommended.

Link
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-ast-2-jacket
+100

Love mine!
rebel346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
atgatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I have a lightly used FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket if you are interested... send me a PM. 2012 model in Hi-Viz. XL
atgatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #19
guiri OP
Looking for a good home..

Oddometer: 1,126
Well hell! I am sooo glad you guys made this simple for me.

Almost as many different recommendations as responses

To keep the posts down, I'll respond to everyone in here.

First, let me say that although I CAN buy a $300+ jacket, I prefer NOT to because if I don't like it and have used it
then there's an issue returning it. Second, although I have a tendency to be able to make my mind up really quick,
some features can only be tested in rain and so on.

I like the look and prices of the Tourmasters but have only looked at their rain jackets. Do they have models
that are lined too to make them warmer?
Come to think of it, a jacket with removable warm liner but be a good idea...dunno though. Never had one of these.
==========
Unstable Rider, if an Aerostich is that much used, a new one will be over $300 easy, right?

I don't understand this sentence, can you explain please..."Just a thought. You can go fleece or fleece less, up to you for first layers under it."

I've got a huge traction problem myself as my balance point is pretty high up and it's the size of a medium size church bell

Your weight distribution is fairly even though and by the way, nice picture you handsome devil you

Anyway, I'm from the European planet and I speak your language pretty well...take me to your leader (if it's anyone but this Obama character...or the Hilary character..or the Chaney character...)
==========
cardoctor1, any particular model of the Tourmaster?
Seems to be the only thing I'll be able to afford/justify as there won't be much cold weather riding for me.
Rain however might be a different story.
==========
frog13, are you saying to wear the liner on the exterior of UNDERgarments such as t shirts? IF so, how would you otherwise wear them?
You guys have any pics of how these liners work?
==========
atgatt, that XL will probably go around my head but that's it.
Thanks though.

Thanks to all of you that answered and although I didn't address everyone, thanks to you too :)

I'm thinking the money is what's partially going to make the decision for me so I'd like more info on the Tourmasters that are warm and waterproof.

George
guiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #20
guiri OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
First gear Kilimanjaro
"The new model of the Firstgear Kilimanjaro Jacket is an improvement on an already superior product. With a waterproof yet breathable outer shell, the Firstgear Kilimanjaro Jacket has numerous pockets and venting to help regulate temperature. The Firstgear Kilimanjaro Jacket has an inner liner jacket that will keep you warm with a fleece interior and hand warmer pockets."

:(
Old 12-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #21
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,516
If you have a CycleGear store near you,they have the Tourmaster Transition 2 on closeout for $99-109 depending on your location.Maybe online ?

Well constructed budget jacket with waterproofing built into the jacket and separate insulated liner.Vents well for warmer riding too.

I took the prior version from 40's and all day rain to 90's plus,it's a great deal for the price,only downside is they only have it in brown.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #22
guiri OP

Yeah, I looked at it online and I like it. I liked it better than version 3 and the brown DOES look good.

I"ll check it out and yes, I have a store fairly close to me and I've bought stuff there before.

Should I not go with a bright colored jacket for security or should my lights be enough to make me visible?

Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #23
guiri OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR356 View Post
If you have a CycleGear store near you,they have the Tourmaster Transition 2 on closeout for $99-109 depending on your location.Maybe online ?

Well constructed budget jacket with waterproofing built into the jacket and separate insulated liner.Vents well for warmer riding too.

I took the prior version from 40's and all day rain to 90's plus,it's a great deal for the price,only downside is they only have it in brown.

JR356
I looked online and I don't think the 2x which is their biggest size will do it for me but I'll call the store tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #24
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Cool2 Guiri

I understand your point of having to buy something you cannot test. But here's my 2c on rain jackets: they suck. Why? Bc they are basically plastic covers that make you sweat like a sauna would. Plus most offer zero degree of protection. That's why its better to go with a shell thats treated with Goretex or the like. Water stays out and you stay dry and fresh in it. In the event that a water proof rated jacket fails I would almost be certain that returning it -even wet- wouldn't be an issue.
I still think the Olympia is the way but if you want to play it safe the Kilimanjaro is a safe bet.

But b adviced, the Kilimanjaro inner jacket is fleece lined, the Olympia is not.

GSAragazzi screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 10:19 PM
GSAragazzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:29 AM   #25
guiri OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAragazzi View Post
I understand your point of having to buy something you cannot test. But here's my 2c on rain jackets: they suck. Why? Bc they are basically plastic covers that make you sweat like a sauna would. Plus most offer zero degree of protection. That's why its better to go with a shell thats treated with Goretex or the like. Water stays out and you stay dry and fresh in it. In the event that a water proof rated jacket fails I would almost be certain that returning it -even wet- wouldn't be an issue.
I still think the Olympia is the way but if you want to play it safe the Kilimanjaro is a safe bet.

But b adviced, the Kilimanjaro inner jacket is fleece lined, the Olympia is not.

I just called Competition Accessories and it turns out they're almost around the corner from me,
awesome. Now I have somewhere to spend EVEN MORE money.

Anyway, called them and they don't have anything that matches my GUT size. Chest, no problem
but my gut is huge :(
Old 12-31-2012, 10:03 AM   #26
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
I bought a first gear Kenya Jacket and it has done well so far . Water proof and with the liner in Ive rode in temps down to 36 this year . Im new to riding so I have no base to compare it to but I llike it so far . I just need to get some pants to go with it , because it sucks to have your core dry just to have your legs cold and wet to the point of them slapping the tank shivering .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #27
guiri OP

Is that Kenya 3/4 length? Looks a bit short and (although I'll look) it seems to be 3x only and I definitely need more than that.

Thanks
Old 12-31-2012, 11:01 AM   #28
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 220
You may want to consider having something custom-tailored. It would be more expensive upfront, but you sound as though your weight distribution will make finding something that fits properly off the rack difficult or impossible, and several attempts at less expensive gear that doesn't fit quite right adds up fast.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #29
guiri OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnslr View Post
You may want to consider having something custom-tailored. It would be more expensive upfront, but you sound as though your weight distribution will make finding something that fits properly off the rack difficult or impossible, and several attempts at less expensive gear that doesn't fit quite right adds up fast.
You're right, Return shipping adds up if you do it often enough.

I just had a look at some custom jackets suggested to me and yeah, they ARE a bit out of my price range although getting something like this is probably important. HOWEVER, what if say, I don't like it at some point down the road, I can't return it and now I'm stuck with a jacket I prolly can't sell 'cause apparently, most people are not built like I am.

Then there is the option of using what I have till I hopefully lose SOME gut at least.
Not holding my breath on that one by the way..
Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #30
guiri OP

Here's the shitty part. I'm around 360lb's and I was up to 370 for awhile.

Then apparently I was having diabetic issues and I didn't even know I was diabetic.
(Seems like blood sugar levels over 1000 isn't good for ya..imagine that.)

Well, without really realizing it or why, I dropped to 303 pounds at the lowest point.
Now, like a jackass, I gained it all back again :(

I'm curious what my gut size was at 303 :(