Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
yorkie08 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I've killed my zumo

As the title says really, not really being up on computer related things I should have known better than to try updating my sat nav without supervision, the bottom line is I've formatted my zumo 550 and so deleted everything
So my question to you knowledgeable people is this, can I reinstall everything from my laptop or do I have to return it to garmin

Thanks Dave
yorkie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
Effjay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
You are saying you connected your Zumo 550 to computer via USB cable and then deleted all files read as an external drive? Or instead moved those files to your computer C-drive? If you are sure no files now exist on the Zumo, it seems worth trying reinstalling to restore function before returning to Garmin for flat-fee repair. Files names from a known functioning 550 unit (I have 2) could be copied onto a Word doc as a checklist to ensure you still have all essential files, i.e., not including custom POIs, MP3s, pictures etc. Its unlikely both of mine match each other exactly, so yours would be somewhat different too.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
yorkie08 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
When I connected my zumo a window appeared and told me I needed to format the drive so I did thinking it was to free up space for new mapping, any ideas on which files I need to transfer back
yorkie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,229
Do you have Mapsource program/maps installed on PC? Does the PC/Mapsource recognize the Zumo when you plug it in? You should be able to reinstall the map files. The actual mapping/routing functionality is embedded in firmware and not subject to erasure by us idiots, so replacing map files should work. Of course, I may be full of it.

Worst case, call Garmin Support, wait a bit to get a tech and have them walk you through it.