ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #31
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Oddometer: 4,750
Who's IN for this Sunday (6th)?

There is a good chance we will have a large enough group this Sunday (6th), so who else is IN?
Pablo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:03 AM   #32
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
For a bare tire class the best grip comes with more edges to grip the ice. A trials tire tends to have more lugs verses a mx knobby, so that should be a better tyre for ice. Also I would take a knife and cut sipes in the knobs, for extra traction. Look @ a dedicated ice andsnow tire, they have hundreds if not thousands of sipes in the tread to help grip the ice and snow. You will be amazed how much different it grips. Your tire will wear out quicker as a result when back in its normal habitat. Hope this helps anybody, I used to race up there a long time ago, and that is the what we did to help us win. Staying upright also helps, and I cant seem to do that on ice lately, so youall are on your own.
I have never siped a tired before. Is it as simple as buying a knobby knide and cutting parallel lines in all the knobbies of the tire? Would you cut it in the orientation that is shown in the youtube video below?

http://www.knobbyknife.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXuW6MBYIDM
602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #33
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by 602 View Post
I have never siped a tired before. Is it as simple as buying a knobby knide and cutting parallel lines in all the knobbies of the tire? Would you cut it in the orientation that is shown in the youtube video below?

http://www.knobbyknife.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXuW6MBYIDM
What the serious guys do is use a razor like in the video, but instead of making all longitudinal sipes about a half inch apart they do both lateral and longitudinal sipes as close as possible together (probably 1/8") so the knobs kind of look like a paint brush bristles. You can imagine this takes a whole lot of time and it destroys a set of tires (if you took it on the dirt after this it would only last a few miles). That's why I want to keep siping to a minimum. If we all did what they guy in the video does, that would be fine because we could still use these tires on the trail.

I really wish I could find a good picture, but I can't. I'll have to take one this Sunday.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 AM   #34
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

For all you curious folks

I just went out to the shop and siped a knob on an old tire to show you how it's done. I used a normal box razor and made the sipes as deep as the knob is high. The A riders in the bare tire class will buy new tires with the fattest knobs they can find and sipe the entire tire like this:

As stated before, this helps a lot with traction on ice, but destroys a set of new tires. That's why I want to find others willing to run on non-siped tires so I (hopefully) won't get lapped by the entire field again.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #35
COXR650L
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo83 View Post
There is a good chance we will have a large enough group this Sunday (6th), so who else is IN?

I may be able to make this Sunday, but wont know for sure till Saturday........

Westfest 2013
Canyonlands Adventure Ride
COXR650L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #36
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Excellent. Thanks for posting the picture. That is a lot closer to what I had in mind. I am headed to Fourmile this weekend to go play with my girlfriend on her new bike, so I wont be making it this weekend.

But... this has peaked my interest to the point that I am likely to give it a go later this season.
602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #37
Raul Duke
DROC

Oddometer: 1,686
Im in for Sunday!
COHVCO
TPA
Raul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #38
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 2,134
Pablo, how does the kx500 run? I need to try that thing sometime..they are always a handful, can't imagine it on ice..maybe later in the season..this has peaked my interest as well!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #39
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainsandRivers View Post
Pablo, how does the kx500 run?
I don't know. Yesterday when I tried to kickstart it it kicked back real hard and busted up an ankle (Chase got to hear me cuss). I limped around the rest of the day. This morning I thought my ankle was good enough to try it again so I put on my MX boots first and gave it another go. It started on the third kick. Despite the new exhaust packing, it sounds like it's really pissed off.

I took it for a spin with a bald back tire on the packed snow in the driveway. This didn't give me a real solid idea of the kind of power it has. When it warms up a little I'll take it down to Pueblo and report back.

For spring break I'll be putting the sand paddle rear back on and taking it to White Wash. I'll let you know when I start planning that one in case you want to really check it out.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #40
Raul Duke
DROC

Quote:
Yesterday when I tried to kickstart it it kicked back real hard and busted up an ankle (Chase got to hear me cuss).
Those big jugged 2-strokes have been known to do that from time to time. Temperamental bitches. I had that happen a few times on my CR500, but never so much as my old YZ490 .
Makes me appreciate the magic button even more!
COHVCO
TPA
Old 01-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #41
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,509
Quote:
Alright, I just got the KX500 to run this morning. Anyone who wants to borrow it for the races is welcome to.
You are really desperate to not come in last, eh? A bare tired KX500 on ice? I predict a matter of milliseconds before the bike pilot is horizontal. How about offering someone use of a GS1200 or 950 Adventure?

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #42
Raul Duke
DROC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
You are really desperate to not come in last, eh? A bare tired KX500 on ice? I predict a matter of milliseconds before the bike pilot is horizontal. How about offering someone use of a GS1200 or 950 Adventure?
Just put some skis on the cylinder of the GS and start it from the horizontal position.
COHVCO
TPA
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #43
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
A bare tired KX500 on ice?
Yep, I'd really like to see someone give it a try.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #44
Pablo83 OP
Sleep, Wrench, Ride

SUNDAY is a GO!!!

we have about 7 interested people for this Sunday. Most people are kind of hesitant because no one knows what they are doing, but I'm pretty confident that we'll have a group of 4 racers, so I will be there along with Raul and maybe Ben and Josh and Bob and a couple others; and Russ should be there to watch and whoever else said they might be there might be there too.

Additional info: $10 gate fee, $30 for an adult amateur to race. If you don't have race numbers you can buy or rent them at the races, but it tends to take a lot of time a really cut into practice which is real important for us noobs so I suggest reserving your race number (more on that later) and getting them on the bike before you show up.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #45
Raul Duke
DROC

Quote:
Most people are kind of hesitant because no one knows what they are doing...
No shit Red Rider!

This will be a shit-show for sure... except for Ben, who will turn record lap times without ever having ice raced before. But at least the rest of us will give him something he will have to avoid each lap.
COHVCO
TPA