User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
rawdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 805
I have the same truck and I lifted it slightly. Now I think it is perfect. I used Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks in the front (lowest lift setting) and 1" blocks in the rear. That was all it took. With stock BFG A/T's 265/75/R16, I think the truck looks the way it should. Those tires are big for a mid-size truck, now it looks right with the mild lift. I bought the parts from wheelersoffroad.com - they have very good service.

It's dark out, so I can't get a pic.
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog View Post
I have the same truck and I lifted it slightly. Now I think it is perfect. I used Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks in the front (lowest lift setting) and 1" blocks in the rear. That was all it took. With stock BFG A/T's 265/75/R16, I think the truck looks the way it should. Those tires are big for a mid-size truck, now it looks right with the mild lift. I bought the parts from wheelersoffroad.com - they have very good service.

It's dark out, so I can't get a pic.
Please tell me about these 5100s. I am about to pull the trigger on a Rough Country spring/strut/rear shock kit that is for sale locally for the same price as your Bilstiens. It has 300 miles on it.
I'd love to see a pic tomorrow if you get a chance.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #18
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
So you want to throw away gas mileage?

When a truck drives it disturbs air all the way to the ground. You are now punching a bigger hole in the wind. Adding more aggressive tires adds rolling resistance, more gas mileage gone.
Taller tires throw off the factory calibration and more mileage gone.

If you can find a use for the lift, snow, trails, or even just your ego, then fine lift it. but most day to day actions will get worse.

When you level a truck, then actually put a load in it, it looks
broncobowsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #19
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by leakypetcock View Post
I just installed a 2" leveling kit in my Titan. Unless you know what it looked like before you'd never notice. I notice though and it's 100% better in my opinion. I also removed the factory nerf bars/running boards. They were held on by some anemic nuts and bolts and were at a very bad level. That visually lifted the truck a few inches without costing a penny or a bit of usability. It's your truck, do with it what YOU want to. I like the look of a nice level 4X4, still very useful and tuned to the owners taste without going overboard.
Do you notice any difference of the "lift over" for the tail gate? The height of the tail gate drives me a little. It's when loading bikes.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:57 AM   #20
leakypetcock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne View Post
Do you notice any difference of the "lift over" for the tail gate? The height of the tail gate drives me a little. It's when loading bikes.
It's only been a few days since installing the kit and the only thing I've put in the truck is a bunch of cardboard to take to recycling. I lifted the front only with a 2" spacer on top of the strut. Since I did nothing to the rear, I'm guessing (only guessing) that the rear axle is the fulcrum and it actually lowered the tailgate somewhere around 1/4". I haven't really noticed anything different with the truck except for the 2" bigger gap between the top of the tire and the fender opening.

The day I bought it.

How it looks now.

leakypetcock screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 05:05 AM
leakypetcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:36 AM   #21
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
The cars sitting on either side of my original picture are two of the most aerodynamic production cars ever made. The gen 1 Insight is our DD and gets more than triple the gas milage of the Tacoma. Actually, it gets better MPG than any of my road bikes. The truck is for local use and won't see too many miles per year.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:52 AM   #22
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
Please tell me about these 5100s. I am about to pull the trigger on a Rough Country spring/strut/rear shock kit that is for sale locally for the same price as your Bilstiens. It has 300 miles on it.
I'd love to see a pic tomorrow if you get a chance.
Speaking from the jeep perspective I am NOT impressed with rough country kits. They are generally cheaper for a reason, and you tend to get what you pay for.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #23
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Thanks for the perspective. I had a R.C. 4" kit on our '99 2500 series Suburban. That one seemed better built than the others that were available for that truck twelve years ago. I'll have to spend some time online looking at how other companies kits compare.

Then again, I could just buy a bunch of hockey pucks for a body lift.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #24
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by madeouttaglass View Post
Thanks for the perspective. I had a R.C. 4" kit on our '99 2500 series Suburban. That one seemed better built than the others that were available for that truck twelve years ago. I'll have to spend some time online looking at how other companies kits compare.

Then again, I could just buy a bunch of hockey pucks for a body lift.

I said don't lift it because I've seen the picture of your plow rig but now that you explained that you need this to get to the mog, a lift makes more sense....
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:41 AM   #25
Range Motorsport
Junk collector

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post

When a truck drives it disturbs air all the way to the ground. You are now punching a bigger hole in the wind. Adding more aggressive tires adds rolling resistance, more gas mileage gone.
Taller tires throw off the factory calibration and more mileage gone.

If you can find a use for the lift, snow, trails, or even just your ego, then fine lift it. but most day to day actions will get worse.

When you level a truck, then actually put a load in it, it looks
Tacoma's are IFS so the drag added by lifting it is virtually zero.

Bigger tires will reduce engine RPM at the same speed as smaller tires increasing fuel mileage.

Most small lift kits will stiffen the suspension and improve road handling too.
www.upoverland.org
Range Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #26
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
I said don't lift it because I've seen the picture of your plow rig but now that you explained that you need this to get to the mog, a lift makes more sense....
For what it's worth, the Mog isn't lifted and gets pretty good MPG whilst plowing.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #27
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range Motorsport View Post
Bigger tires will reduce engine RPM at the same speed as smaller tires increasing fuel mileage.

That assumes the same weight and rolling resistance, which with a bigger tire with meatier tread is so unlikely as to be outright ridiculous.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #28
madeouttaglass OP
The AntiHarley

I think some of you are getting a little off track. I'm not going up 8 inches or putting on bigger tires. The side of the bed of these Tacomas is probably a foot lower than a current F150. I bought the lift today. It included shocks, springs, and struts and 2 inch rear blocks. (I might get add a leafs to replace them.) The front will go up 2.5 inches. I will not use this for off roading as I have plenty of off road vehicles. I'm also sticking with the factory 265/70-16 inch tires which seemed quite large for such a small truck that sits somewhat low. I think the proportions will now be right to my eye. I probably won't do anything until the weather warms up.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #29
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Do something really original - tear off those ugly tacked on fender flares, put on some smaller wheels and tires, and lower it a little.

The whole 'every 4x4 must be impossible to load shit in an out of' fad is ridiculous.
If you're over 5'5" you should be able to deal with a 2-3" lift on that truck
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #30
steyr_scout308
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I had a Toytec 2" spacer/AAL kit put on mine (2003 Tacoma Double Cab). I still like it, but no longer love it after about a year and a half. Mileage did drop about 3mpg on average, and the rough ride gets a little old.
steyr_scout308 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: