User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Hughes500Pilot OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
RotopaX One Gallon Tool Box

I posted this the other day and it was up for a short time. Then it just disappeared and I have no idea why. So, I'm trying it again. -Steve

----------------------------------------------

I'm pretty new here, but I been lurking around for a few months. So for one of my first posts, I thought I would share how I turned a RotopaX 1 gallon Water Jug into a Tool Storage Box.

To start off, RotopaX makes several fuel containers for motorcycles and off-road vehicles. Two things set these fuel cans apart from others. First, they are made very, very strong. Really, these are high quality fuel containers that do not leak. Second, they are made to firmly mount on to just about anything. This is due to their special mounting bracket. This bracket is lockable and is stackable so several fuel cans can be placed one on top of another and then locked in place.

One product they have is their storage box / emergency kit. The box is the same for both versions, but the storage box is black and the emergency kit is orange. I think this is a great idea. You can mount a jug of fuel and spare tools in a very secure mount and have just about everything you need for the trail.

Now here is the catch... The storage box / emergency kit is designed from their 2 gallon fuel jug. I think the 2 gallon size is a little too big for my needs. I have a Yamaha XT225 and I like the 1 gallon fuel jug better. But they do not offer a 1 gallon size storage box. So I decided to make on myself. Here is what I did...

I started off with a standard 1 gallon RotopaX water jug. As far as I can tell, its the same as their fuel jug, just white in color and is $20 less expensive then the gasoline jug. Then I bought a 12 inch piano hinge from Lowes. I bought stainless steel, but you could use brass or zinc steel plated as well.

At 12 inches, the hinge is a little to long, so I had to cut off 2 inches. At 10 inches, it fits perfect on the back of the jug. Don't worry about the hinge pin coming out, it is pinned in place.

Next, I bought a pack of " Table Leaf Aligners" from Rockler Woodworking. They come in a 6 pack for $5. Since I was going to split the fuel jug in half, I wanted something to keep the two halves aligned together when closed. These turned out to work perfect. They are made to be mounted to a flush surface. They lock the two halves together in all directions. In the second photo you can see how they interlock with each other.

Next I used a small saw blade mounted in a Dremel tool to carefully cut the water jug in half. There is a seam mark on the fuel jug, so it is easy to follow as you cut.

The beauty of using the water jug it has a spout. This acts as a locking device when you close the tool box. Plus it keeps that side all aligned with each other. I was concerned the threads might not grip any longer because material is lost as you cut it in half. But, the threads are so deep, the cap locks down tight with no problem.

Next, I marked and drilled holes for the hinge. Pretty simple.

I then mounted the table leaf aligners. 4 holes and bolt it down. You can see how the aligners hold real tight.

Thats pretty much it. Here you can see the gas jug mounted below the new tool storage box. The hinge keeps the rear closed together and aligned. The water jug cap secures the left side and keeps it aligned together. And the table leaf aligners keep the right side locked in place and aligned. As for security, I bought the key lock mounting kit. Now when mounted on my motorcycle, the locking lug keeps the two halves pressed firmly together and the key lock prevents theft.

I can fit a tube, tire irons, tools, a couple of space blankets and other things in there as well.

Tell me what you think. -Steve

Hughes500Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,422
Diggit

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
chrome bandit
Wide footed adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Nice job...well done! Easy to reproduce as well.

One idle thought - what's your thinking on waterproof here? I'm not sure how well the seams will stay close despite the sound anchoring with the hinge and fasteners.
chrome bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
GI_JO_NATHAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,052
That's really awesome!
Good work!
Originally Posted by POLLOCK28 (XDTALK.com)
From what I understand from frequenting various forums you are handling this critisim completely wrong. You are supposed to get bent out of shape and start turning towards personal attacks. Get with the program!
GI_JO_NATHAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,548
Nice job, dude. Creative thinking with those table-leaf alignment thingys.

I agree on the waterproofing question.
-DustyRags
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,603
Well done. Very creative thinking. With a little more ingenuity, I'm sure you could waterproof the rig.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:38 AM   #7
Bokrijder
Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer: 313
Looks like the factory offering is no better than water resistant, so at worst you're not too far behind the game with your mod project.
Improving the mod level to highly water resistant would really put the icing on the cake.
Good thinking and nice project.

Bokrijder
Old 12-31-2012, 05:07 AM   #8
NCK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
sweetness

Do you think you could have cut through a little higher up to make the bottom bigger and the top smaller?
NCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
mark1150
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCK View Post
sweetness

Do you think you could have cut through a little higher up to make the bottom bigger and the top smaller?
Looking at it I think the handles would be the deciding factor as to the cut lines.

Top job.
mark1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Volume / cost

Seems like it would be just as easy to buy a cheap top box and get more volume for your money, and weather resistant seal. ?
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:50 AM   #11
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Nice work!
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,138
Thumb

+1
Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #13
divimon2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 582
Very nice indeed!
divimon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #14
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Probably just my computer,but your photo's cut-off about halfway through the "demo".
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:40 PM   #15
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Probably just my computer,but your photo's cut-off about halfway through the "demo".

DISREGARD!....stupid computer is playing games, AGAIN!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote