User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
jlfaria OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
2013 BMW GS (K50) Fuel Filler mod

Increasing fuel capacity with my older 1200gs was so simple as reaching in the open fuel cap with a pair of needle-nose pliers and pulling out the little rubber extension and throwing it on the shelf with my also removed charcoal canister, picking up about 1.5" in fuel depth. Thank you California ARB!

When I took delivery of my new Liquid-cooled bike a few months a go, I looked to do the same, and found a large hard plastic filler where the rubber one was in previous years. I felt that if I could get the entire assembly out of the tank, I'd just saw this one shorter. When dismantling the entire front of my bike to install the BMW OEM headlight guard (another story), I found that when removing the gas cap/filler assembly, that the long plastic filler tube can be removed by just grasping it and ratcheting it a 1/4 turn.

So that's the simplicity of it. Remove the 6 bolts which attach the filler cap to the tank. Wiggle out the entire assembly. Give the long plastic filler tube a 1/4 turn to remove it. Reassemble, making sure the rubber gasket is properly seated. Although the section removed is about 3" long, you actually only pick up about 2" of fuel depth, which is still A LOT!

jlfaria screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 08:39 AM
jlfaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfaria View Post
Although the section removed is about 3" long, you actually only pick up about 2" of fuel depth, which is still A LOT!
I need help understanding this "mod" -- I've seen others do similar changes on their GS. How does removing a tube that takes up a total volume of almost nil add to overall capacity of the tank? I understand it may affect the flow switch on the pump, but you can always "click" in a few more squirts of fuel ("squirts" here being an universal international unit of measure).

Someone needs to explain to me how the drop tube materially reduces tank capacity.
nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
jlfaria OP
n00b

2013 GS fuel filler mod

Granted you're increasing depth where the tank is narrow at the top, so what you gain is less than if it were 2" more depth mid-tank. My estimate is the ability to add about 3/10 of a gallon more fuel without compromising the overflow vent.

In CA, we have these massive vapor recovery fuel pump nozzles, which rarely work the way they are supposed to, click off very early, and are usually good at leaking all over your bike. Shortening the tube allows for waaay easier topping off.

JLF
Old 08-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpa View Post
Someone needs to explain to me how the drop tube materially reduces tank capacity.
The long filler tube is designed to prevent the tank from being over-filled, this prevents fuel from expanding and being vented overboard and/or prevents the charcoal canister from becoming saturated with fuel which can lead to hard start conditions and could damage the emission control devices.

You'll notice when topping off your bike when it gets to the very top, if you wait you can put a little more fuel in, wait a little longer and the level slowly drops and you can put more in and you can keep this up but it takes quite a while, by removing the long filler tube you can top it almost completely up without having to wait.
The only caution is that I wouldn't top it all the way up and then park the bike, top it up and ride it.

This task is not as simple as just wiggling out the filler cap assembly, the painted tank cover needs to be removed so that you can disconnect the fuel vent lines on each side of the filler tube assembly, if you try and force it out you will break off the nipples to these lines.
It requires a T20 to remove the 4 screws that hold the tank cover on and a T27 for the single center front screw also holding the tank cover on, and T25 for the six screws holding the tank cap on.

JetSpeed screwed with this post 08-11-2013 at 04:33 PM
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
wabtklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Thanks, That took about 5 minutes, I love easy mods like that.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:38 PM   #6
JetSpeed
Naviator

The other thing you could do is drill a couple of small holes (3/16") near the top of the filler neck to allow the trapped air to escape and freeing up a little more volume.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
The other thing you could do is drill a couple of small holes (3/16") near the top of the filler neck to allow the trapped air to escape and freeing up a little more volume.
That was the mod many recommended on the earlier version.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
JetSpeed
Naviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
That was the mod many recommended on the earlier version.

Yeah, same concept on this bike, but easier to do.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
atg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfaria View Post
Increasing fuel capacity with my older 1200gs was so simple as reaching in the open fuel cap with a pair of needle-nose pliers and pulling out the little rubber extension and throwing it on the shelf with my also removed charcoal canister, picking up about 1.5" in fuel depth. Thank you California ARB!

When I took delivery of my new Liquid-cooled bike a few months a go, I looked to do the same, and found a large hard plastic filler where the rubber one was in previous years. I felt that if I could get the entire assembly out of the tank, I'd just saw this one shorter. When dismantling the entire front of my bike to install the BMW OEM headlight guard (another story), I found that when removing the gas cap/filler assembly, that the long plastic filler tube can be removed by just grasping it and ratcheting it a 1/4 turn.

So that's the simplicity of it. Remove the 6 bolts which attach the filler cap to the tank. Wiggle out the entire assembly. Give the long plastic filler tube a 1/4 turn to remove it. Reassemble, making sure the rubber gasket is properly seated. Although the section removed is about 3" long, you actually only pick up about 2" of fuel depth, which is still A LOT!
Thanks for this great tip ! Had it done on my earlier GSs and will do tomorrow on my GSW. Do you know where is the charcoal canister located on the GSW ? Did you remove yours as well ?

Thanks,

Andre
atg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
jlfaria OP
n00b

Charcoal Canister Removal

I have not removed the canister on my 13GSW. I went hunting for it and it appears a bit more intricate than my prior GS. I'll seek some insider advice from a BMW tech before I remove this one.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
Emoto
Sure, why not?

So, any downside to this mod? What was that neck supposed to do that it cannot once removed?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
JetSpeed
Naviator

The only negatives potentially are that you can overfill the gas tank (in theory) and if you were to park the motorcycle in a hot location and let it sit immediately after refueling the fuel may expand and some could vent overboard.
The other is that it could be easier for fuel to spray out while fueling.

I have had the tube removed (and a vent holes drilled) for nearly 3k miles and have had no negative side effects at all, with the way that it twists off I have to wonder if the fill tube extension is only installed for certain markets.

I get 13-18 miles extra range, not a big deal but sometimes it can come in handy.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #13
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
The only negatives potentially are that you can overfill the gas tank (in theory) and if you were to park the motorcycle in a hot location and let it sit immediately after refueling the fuel may expand and some could vent overboard.
The other is that it could be easier for fuel to spray out while fueling.

I have had the tube removed (and a vent holes drilled) for nearly 3k miles and have had no negative side effects at all, with the way that it twists off I have to wonder if the fill tube extension is only installed for certain markets.

I get 13-18 miles extra range, not a big deal but sometimes it can come in handy.
Hey, extra range is extra range.

What exactly did you drill and what did it accomplish?
Old 08-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #14
JetSpeed
Naviator

I drilled a 13/64" hole about 1/2" from the very top of the filler tube, it doesn't matter too much where you drill the hole, I drill mine on the high side which is the back side of the tube (part closest to your chest).
The hole allows air to escape when the level gets higher than the bottom of the filler tube so you can top it all the way without waiting for the level to slowly go down, it may save you 30 seconds at the pump, certainly not critical but while you have it out.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
I drilled a 13/64" hole about 1/2" from the very top of the filler tube, it doesn't matter too much where you drill the hole, I drill mine on the high side which is the back side of the tube (part closest to your chest).
The hole allows air to escape when the level gets higher than the bottom of the filler tube so you can top it all the way without waiting for the level to slowly go down, it may save you 30 seconds at the pump, certainly not critical but while you have it out.

But... is there more than one tube? Is the mod not to completely remove the tube?