Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2015, 11:20 PM   #1
ObiJohn OP
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 586
Should we have tiered motorcycle licensing in the US?

I just read David Hough's article in Sound Rider, where he suggests we go to a multi-tier licensing scheme in Washington state, as a means of reducing the bike fatality rate.

Gotta say I'm opposed to this, on principle, even though I think the idea of starting off on a less powerful bike is a good one. I started riding on a CT90, then a CRF230L, then a DN-01 680cc, then an FJR1300, spanning three years.

I thought the MSF Basic Rider class was good, and I certainly left it a better, more knowledgeable rider than when I arrived. Yet I was very aware of my lack of skill. The major surprise was how many of my fellow attendees had been riding illegally on the streets for years... and how bad many of them were at the drills we did.

No tiered licensing scheme would have stopped them from riding, even though it would have stopped me. Riders getting in over their heads seems to be more about irrationality than stupidity; they know they shouldn't do something but they do it anyway... just watch YouTube.

What do you all think?
Old 03-23-2015, 12:24 AM   #2
81forest
ADDRider

Oddometer: 1,187
Who cares what we think, let's cut to the chase and get to the part where you tell us about what the Principled Conservative would do!
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:35 AM   #3
Slice19
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I haven't read the article but unless it starts with a tiered licensing for cages I'm out. There are far worse drivers and in much larger numbers in cars than bikes.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:37 AM   #4
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie

Oddometer: 1,792
In Aus we have tiered licenses for cars and bikes, it works well.
BygDaddee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:59 AM   #5
ctromley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Yes.

Tiered licensing for all riders and drivers. Top tier should as stringent as (or more than) cop training, but geared for civilians. Then maybe the millions of riders and drivers who consider themselves highly-skilled or expert would realize that's just their ego and ignorance talking.
ctromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:02 AM   #6
ctromley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice19 View Post
I haven't read the article but unless it starts with a tiered licensing for cages I'm out. There are far worse drivers and in much larger numbers in cars than bikes.
Larger numbers maybe, but the proportions are probably higher for bikes. And bikes require a higher level of skill, which is harder to attain, to get an equivalent level of safety.
ctromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:19 AM   #7
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,386
In principle I think tiered licensing is a good idea. In reality I think the state would most likely screw it up so my vote would be no.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:35 AM   #8
Dogdaze
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Lots of European countries have tiered licensing for motorcycles, as for cars, well, the cost of insurance does a nice job of that anyway. The way forward would be to severely penalise those without insurance, that may go some way in the safety of all other road users.
Dogdaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:44 AM   #9
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
In principle I think tiered licensing is a good idea. In reality I think the state would most likely screw it up so my vote would be no.
This

M
Old 03-23-2015, 05:19 AM   #10
Snowbird
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
I just read David Hough's article in Sound Rider, where he suggests we go to a multi-tier licensing scheme in Washington state, as a means of reducing the bike fatality rate.

Gotta say I'm opposed to this, on principle, even though I think the idea of starting off on a less powerful bike is a good one. I started riding on a CT90, then a CRF230L, then a DN-01 680cc, then an FJR1300, spanning three years.

I thought the MSF Basic Rider class was good, and I certainly left it a better, more knowledgeable rider than when I arrived. Yet I was very aware of my lack of skill. The major surprise was how many of my fellow attendees had been riding illegally on the streets for years... and how bad many of them were at the drills we did.

No tiered licensing scheme would have stopped them from riding, even though it would have stopped me. Riders getting in over their heads seems to be more about irrationality than stupidity; they know they shouldn't do something but they do it anyway... just watch YouTube.

What do you all think?
Tiered licensing? Yes: You must learn to ride a motorcycle before being allowed to drive a car. 10,000 miles required and documented. Passenger miles should count. The basic idea here is that you need to experience being an egg before you are allowed to be a hammer.

Otherwise: A resounding NO!
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:41 AM   #11
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,725
in the US as a whole, NO WAY, licensing is a STATE issue, if individual states want to consider tiered licensing, I have no issue with that, Feds already usurp too much authority
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:20 AM   #12
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
I'm with RandyO on this^^^
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:28 AM   #13
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
Who cares what we think, let's cut to the chase and get to the part where you tell us about what the Principled Conservative would do!
Vote for Ted Cruz, since he put motorcycles in his first ad.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:30 AM   #14
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,818
I think one place to start would be raising the minimum driving age to 18- which is the new 16.

Tiered licensing seems more like legislating common sense than anything.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #15
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
We're AMERICANS! We don't need no stinking licenses! It's our constitutional right to do anything we want, no matter how stupid! And that includes allowing a 16 year old to operate any car of bike they can get mommy and daddy to buy them!......

Seriously....I'd be in favor of it,

AND would favor nationalizing drivers licenses and plates. Not to sidetrack the discussion, but how stupid is it that when I move from one side of the an imaginary line to another I have to spend more money to get a new license and re register already legal vehicles? Canadians.....when you move from one province to another, do you go through this also?
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote