ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2015, 11:20 PM   #1
ObiJohn OP
Screaming Banshee
 
ObiJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Seattle suburbia
Oddometer: 586
Should we have tiered motorcycle licensing in the US?

I just read David Hough's article in Sound Rider, where he suggests we go to a multi-tier licensing scheme in Washington state, as a means of reducing the bike fatality rate.

Gotta say I'm opposed to this, on principle, even though I think the idea of starting off on a less powerful bike is a good one. I started riding on a CT90, then a CRF230L, then a DN-01 680cc, then an FJR1300, spanning three years.

I thought the MSF Basic Rider class was good, and I certainly left it a better, more knowledgeable rider than when I arrived. Yet I was very aware of my lack of skill. The major surprise was how many of my fellow attendees had been riding illegally on the streets for years... and how bad many of them were at the drills we did.

No tiered licensing scheme would have stopped them from riding, even though it would have stopped me. Riders getting in over their heads seems to be more about irrationality than stupidity; they know they shouldn't do something but they do it anyway... just watch YouTube.

What do you all think?
__________________
Everything is on its way to somewhere...
ObiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:24 AM   #2
81forest
ADDRider
 
81forest's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 1,187
Who cares what we think, let's cut to the chase and get to the part where you tell us about what the Principled Conservative would do!
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:35 AM   #3
Slice19
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2014
Location: South Puget Sound - Seattle
Oddometer: 41
I haven't read the article but unless it starts with a tiered licensing for cages I'm out. There are far worse drivers and in much larger numbers in cars than bikes.
__________________
2014 GSA
Slice19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:37 AM   #4
BygDaddee
Where do I get a pie
 
BygDaddee's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Brisbane Northside, OZ
Oddometer: 1,792
In Aus we have tiered licenses for cars and bikes, it works well.
__________________
Relax and enjoy the journey, not just the destination.
2013 WR450F(The best bike KTM never built) and BMW F700GS
Pauls Spot Tracker http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...mgxmQRRUCqrKiY
BygDaddee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:59 AM   #5
ctromley
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: PA
Oddometer: 118
Yes.

Tiered licensing for all riders and drivers. Top tier should as stringent as (or more than) cop training, but geared for civilians. Then maybe the millions of riders and drivers who consider themselves highly-skilled or expert would realize that's just their ego and ignorance talking.
ctromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:02 AM   #6
ctromley
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: PA
Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice19 View Post
I haven't read the article but unless it starts with a tiered licensing for cages I'm out. There are far worse drivers and in much larger numbers in cars than bikes.
Larger numbers maybe, but the proportions are probably higher for bikes. And bikes require a higher level of skill, which is harder to attain, to get an equivalent level of safety.
ctromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:19 AM   #7
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer
 
klaviator's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 6,386
In principle I think tiered licensing is a good idea. In reality I think the state would most likely screw it up so my vote would be no.
__________________
I ride, Therefore I Am.



klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:35 AM   #8
Dogdaze
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2014
Location: Switzerland
Oddometer: 20
Lots of European countries have tiered licensing for motorcycles, as for cars, well, the cost of insurance does a nice job of that anyway. The way forward would be to severely penalise those without insurance, that may go some way in the safety of all other road users.
Dogdaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:44 AM   #9
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
In principle I think tiered licensing is a good idea. In reality I think the state would most likely screw it up so my vote would be no.
This

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:19 AM   #10
Snowbird
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Where the Great Lakes and Appalachia meet
Oddometer: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
I just read David Hough's article in Sound Rider, where he suggests we go to a multi-tier licensing scheme in Washington state, as a means of reducing the bike fatality rate.

Gotta say I'm opposed to this, on principle, even though I think the idea of starting off on a less powerful bike is a good one. I started riding on a CT90, then a CRF230L, then a DN-01 680cc, then an FJR1300, spanning three years.

I thought the MSF Basic Rider class was good, and I certainly left it a better, more knowledgeable rider than when I arrived. Yet I was very aware of my lack of skill. The major surprise was how many of my fellow attendees had been riding illegally on the streets for years... and how bad many of them were at the drills we did.

No tiered licensing scheme would have stopped them from riding, even though it would have stopped me. Riders getting in over their heads seems to be more about irrationality than stupidity; they know they shouldn't do something but they do it anyway... just watch YouTube.

What do you all think?
Tiered licensing? Yes: You must learn to ride a motorcycle before being allowed to drive a car. 10,000 miles required and documented. Passenger miles should count. The basic idea here is that you need to experience being an egg before you are allowed to be a hammer.

Otherwise: A resounding NO!
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:41 AM   #11
randyo
Beastly Adventurer
 
randyo's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Northern NewEngland
Oddometer: 1,725
in the US as a whole, NO WAY, licensing is a STATE issue, if individual states want to consider tiered licensing, I have no issue with that, Feds already usurp too much authority
__________________
RandyO
IBA # 9560
07 VeeStrom
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:20 AM   #12
khager
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Granbury, TX
Oddometer: 969
I'm with RandyO on this^^^
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:28 AM   #13
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
Who cares what we think, let's cut to the chase and get to the part where you tell us about what the Principled Conservative would do!
Vote for Ted Cruz, since he put motorcycles in his first ad.
__________________
Undersecretary of the Ministry of Silly Posts.
Rgconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:30 AM   #14
ozmoses
Ride On
 
ozmoses's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: USA
Oddometer: 3,818
I think one place to start would be raising the minimum driving age to 18- which is the new 16.

Tiered licensing seems more like legislating common sense than anything.
__________________
Opinions are like internet connections- everybody has one.
ozmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:34 AM   #15
patmo
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: butler, ky/Franklin, tn
Oddometer: 791
We're AMERICANS! We don't need no stinking licenses! It's our constitutional right to do anything we want, no matter how stupid! And that includes allowing a 16 year old to operate any car of bike they can get mommy and daddy to buy them!......


Seriously....I'd be in favor of it,


AND would favor nationalizing drivers licenses and plates. Not to sidetrack the discussion, but how stupid is it that when I move from one side of the an imaginary line to another I have to spend more money to get a new license and re register already legal vehicles? Canadians.....when you move from one province to another, do you go through this also?
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015