User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
EAST OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I generally hate riding with others

Iíve been riding for going on 20 years, off-road for the past 10 or so. A decent number of my friends ride, all of whom have varying degrees of speed and expertise. Most of them are quite skilled, a couple are not quite squids, just reckless, and a few others are just timid.

I am not fast. Iím not slow either; Iím just not in such a damn hurry all the time. I get the speed and adrenaline trip because I can move ok when I want to, but sometimes I just donít want to. Iíve wrecked plenty, on both street and dirt. I donít ride in constant fear of going down, but I do respect the potential for it. I can pick a good line, rail a rut and nail an apex. I can also square off an easy sweeper like a joey.

I swore off group rides several years ago after I watched a kid wad it up hard right in front of me trying to keep up with the pack. I swore off street bikes the same year I started racing harescrambles and never looked back. Aggressive racing doesn't bother me at all, it's racing. What I am really growing tired of is trail riding with hard-ons who have to constantly twist it up to race pace. I get so little time to get out for a ride anymore, it's stupid to ride the trails alone and I'm left with a small crew of guys who go full-aggro the second they fire up their bikes.

Maybe I should just take up knitting....
EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:58 PM   #2
gateman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
"it's stupid to ride the trails alone"

Why?

Seem's the smarter option given your story thus far.
gateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
roma258
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
It's a matter of finding a group you're comfortable with. I'm lucky enough to have a really great local group of riders. On street rides, I'm one of the faster guys, so I go with the quick guys, and the slower guys ride their own pace, if the group is big enough, we split up. On dirt, I'm one of the slower guys, so I usually bring up the rear. Never any pressure to keep up, emphasis on riding your own ride.

The bs sessions inbetween, or mixing it up with your buddy is just a part of riding for me now. Though a mellow solo ride every now and then is nice too.
roma258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #4
dogon2whls
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
i'm relatively new to this game ( adv riding ) and while i sympathize with your situation , here's the way i approach it :

i'm riding for my own enjoyment , and that hinges on me making it back from every ride safe and sound , both bike and body . so everything i do over the course of the ride is based around that .

having said that , as much as i'd like a good friend to ride with , i think i enjoy a ride just as much when i'm alone . no one to keep pace with , no one to have to consult with over which direction to go , or where to stop , or what the destination might be .

sounds like maybe you need to find some other guys to ride with .
dogon2whls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,742
I do not have the time to ride with others.
It increases the risk, people tend to do stupid things in groups they would not normally do, and many people are not prepared.

I have too much to do and not enough time to ride to waste any of it waiting on someone else.
I go when I want to go, stop when I want to stop, go where I want and as fast or slow as I want, do not eat dust or have to tow many people out of the woods because they did not look after their bike.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:59 PM   #6
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,646
I frequently ride with others and seldom have any problems.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:11 PM   #7
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,052
I'm just a miserable bastard so the problem of not wanting to ride with others is solved before it even presents itself - no one wants to ride with me!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:29 PM   #8
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 959
I ride alone much more often than with a group on and off pavement. I occasionally wick it up, especially in the twisties. I'm pretty selective about who I ride with anymore. I don't care if they are faster or slower. Just that they know their limits.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:35 PM   #9
PJay
Any bike, anywhere

Oddometer: 761
The only times I ride with groups is in organized racing.

Otherwise, too much picking up others and keeping out of people's way - and just plain being terrified on their account. I did a testing ride with Ulysses Club (age 50+) a few years ago and just shit myself at their communal cluelessness.

I've been exploring the roads, backroads and trails of New Zealand by motorcycle solo for 40+ years, and have every intention of continuing to do so (though right now, the terminal illness of my wife's got that under control).

My one trusted old mate died a couple of years ago, so I just don't ride with any company at all now.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:49 PM   #10
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 9,354
I'm a lone rider too. Forest, twisties, interstate: I prefer to set my own pace (which depends heavily on my state of mind that day).

I do like riding with my wife, since we have bike to bike intercoms. Its best when we ride backroads and forest, because her DR350 has a top cruising speed of about 70.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #11
ctfz1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
compatibility

Ride your own ride.
Companions can enrich your experience, or make you crazy.
The hard part is finding people who ride on your schedule and locations.
Then speeds, stops, fuel and food locations have to jive.
I am fortunate to know a couple riders I trust and enjoy riding with.
Even so on trips after a while, "I would rather be alone."
ctfz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:22 PM   #12
97audia4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
I ride with one other guy every weekend, usually people that want to tag along are off pace and dont find it fun because they cant keep and frankly I dont trust them braking behind me. My usually riding buddy and I can predict each others moves in situations others might panic so it just works.
97audia4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #13
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma258 View Post
It's a matter of finding a group you're comfortable with. I'm lucky enough to have a really great local group of riders. On street rides, I'm one of the faster guys, so I go with the quick guys, and the slower guys ride their own pace, if the group is big enough, we split up. On dirt, I'm one of the slower guys, so I usually bring up the rear. Never any pressure to keep up, emphasis on riding your own ride.

The bs sessions inbetween, or mixing it up with your buddy is just a part of riding for me now. Though a mellow solo ride every now and then is nice too.
I'm with you on this one. I was lucky the first club I joined and rode with for many years was the near perfect fit. It's basically stop working now as members have gone of to do other things. So I ride now with a whole range of different groups. Some are dead slow and boring. Others have to many 'cowboys' who are bad influences on the group think.

But I still find I can enjoy the slow group having made good friends with a couple of guys who also want to go faster. We meetup with the group, ride with them when the sections are naturally slower e.g getting through traffic, heavy policed areas etc. then ride ahead once out on the open road. Arrive in advance at the next stop point. Sort of the best of both worlds. The companionship thing, but being able to go for a decent run with a couple of other riders. The group is ok with us doing this.

For the 'cowboy' group I get to see each rider who has put their name down for a ride. I can decide there are to many cowboys that day and give it a miss. Or I can decide to stay disciplined and ride toward the back of the ride with the slower riders. This way I've generally got a fair chunk of open road between the slower and faster groups ahead. I can go for a blast in this space all by myself whenever I feel like it.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #14
PK2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Mostly by myself, or up to 3 very good mates. We each ride to our abilities or wants, and stop to meet up each major intersection on country roads, or coffee/lunch stops if it's a road we know well.
I will never organise a ride for people I don't know.
PK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 12:43 AM   #15
wild
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAST View Post
I’ve been riding for going on 20 years, off-road for the past 10 or so. A decent number of my friends ride, all of whom have varying degrees of speed and expertise. Most of them are quite skilled, a couple are not quite squids, just reckless, and a few others are just timid.

I am not fast. I’m not slow either; I’m just not in such a damn hurry all the time. I get the speed and adrenaline trip because I can move ok when I want to, but sometimes I just don’t want to. I’ve wrecked plenty, on both street and dirt. I don’t ride in constant fear of going down, but I do respect the potential for it. I can pick a good line, rail a rut and nail an apex. I can also square off an easy sweeper like a joey.

I swore off group rides several years ago after I watched a kid wad it up hard right in front of me trying to keep up with the pack. I swore off street bikes the same year I started racing harescrambles and never looked back. Aggressive racing doesn't bother me at all, it's racing. What I am really growing tired of is trail riding with hard-ons who have to constantly twist it up to race pace. I get so little time to get out for a ride anymore, it's stupid to ride the trails alone and I'm left with a small crew of guys who go full-aggro the second they fire up their bikes.

Maybe I should just take up knitting....
+1, exactly same thoughts I have now, and don't ride anymore with bigger group then 2-3 riders.

Riding solo has its benefits too though.
wild is offline   Reply With Quote