User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2015, 05:55 PM   #1
speedgraphic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Safe to ride on "wrong" size tires?

I went to Woody's Wheel Works and brought a pair of Shinko 009 Ravens, they ended up installing somebody elses' Pilot Power 2CTs. The fronts are the same size, but the rears are 180/55s instead of 160/60s, same diameter. What sort of difference will this make to my riding?
speedgraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
KaptSlo
DirtBikeStuff.net

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedgraphic View Post
I went to Woody's Wheel Works and brought a pair of Shinko 009 Ravens, they ended up installing somebody elses' Pilot Power 2CTs. The fronts are the same size, but the rears are 180/55s instead of 160/60s, same diameter. What sort of difference will this make to my riding?
Tough to say since you didn't tell us what bike, but generally speaking; unless you're doing a track day, or are a very accomplished rider, you won't notice much difference.

And, you got the better tires
Old 06-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #3
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 1,092
Are they appropriate for your rim width? My guess would be no, but you can look it up. Either way, they won't quicken the handling of the bike.

I wouldn't want to do it.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 07:01 PM   #4
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 1,092
from what I've read, a 160/60-17 calls for a 4.5" to 5.0" width rim, and a 180/55-17 calls for a 5.5" to 6.0" width rim.

Not only wouldn't I want a 180 on a bike that called for a 160, I wouldn't want a 180 on a rim intended for a 160.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #5
bandito2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Well, they are 20mm wider (0.787") and the sidewall is 3mm taller (0.118") It may last a little longer because the load can be
spread across a little more tread than the narrower tire. And like KaptSlo said, you probably wouldn't notice much difference
and probably would make little difference in handling and I think they are a better quality tire as well.

But I use a car tire on the rear of my bike, so maybe I'm not to be taken seriously.
"Darkside" Honda Reflex. "Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter."
bandito2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:54 PM   #6
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,603
Quote:
I have used several 009 Raven rears on my old FJR and they are a fairly flat profile design. Have also used the PPs on the same bike but both were in the "right" 180 size. The 180 is marginally too large and "could" result in making the steering a bit heavier but I've seen that go either way as mounting a tire that's too large for the rim will basically pull the beads together which changes the original profile. The beads are "pinched" and the tire becomes "rounder", depending on the profile of the original specification, it can become almost triangular. This might result in lighter steering or odd steering. The larger tire is also heavier and since it's unsprung and reciprocating,,,,, even a bit more weight can be noticed in acceleration and handling depending on skill set.

Saying, I don't know your skill level. Unless you are fairly skilled and really notice minute changes, I'm betting you wouldn't notice a difference in the profile change. What you might well notice though is the huge difference between the design use of each tire. The 009 Raven is an old school sport touring tire with middling tire life and middling to less than middling traction, it's also heavy. The old FJR would lay darkies outta corners on the track and on the road with Ravens. I would not run the front Ravens, simply too hard. I ran a 005 Advance up front. Good comb as they would wear out at about the same time. I'm betting the larger PP is roughly the same or less in weight than the Raven. The PP will wear faster. So, without knowing the bike and how you will use it,,,,, I can't really say whether the PP is a bad thing. I will say I would rather the "stickier" tire be on the front and a harder tire on back. Also, crowning the tire by pinching it by mounting on a less than optimal rim width will actually result in less tread width on the ground at 0 lean and will wear faster all other things being equal.

One thing my cheap ass discovered during track riding is that I like cheap tires because cheap tires allow me for more riding whether it's on the track or on the road. But being cheap forced me to run different tires, different sizing and at times even bias/radial combos and guess what? The atmosphere did catch fire. No nuns died,,,,,, there weren't even kittens harmed believe it or not. I learned more about set-up and learned to quickly adapt to less than "perfect" scenarios. I even learned that sometimes, mixing and matching can be good.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:37 AM   #7
ChrisSRT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
you may also notice the tire not feeling stable when the bike is leaned over. The outer edges will not have the support of the rim and cause the tire squirm, I wouldn't do it.
ChrisSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #8
air-cooled
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Some people won't notice any difference even if it is written down in front of them.
That said, i will continu with a darksider quote, you can't tell if you have not tried it. Well i did and you will definitely notice the difference. And not for the better.
And no, nobody gets hurt and no nuns will burn if you try it.
But i think it is really amazing to bring a shinko 160 and walk away with a michelin 180 . Is the rubber still down??
air-cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:37 AM   #9
speedgraphic OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
The steering is strangely lighter near the beginning of the turn, then gets harder further into the turn - it feels like the front tire wants to turn, but the back one doesn't. There was also some mild rubbing.

I didn't like it, so they're fixing it up now.
speedgraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:23 PM   #10
Jarlaxle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,948
Quote:
Why not go back and tell them to install the RIGHT tires?
Old 06-21-2015, 12:11 AM   #11
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
Why not go back and tell them to install the RIGHT tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedgraphic
The steering is strangely lighter near the beginning of the turn, then gets harder further into the turn - it feels like the front tire wants to turn, but the back one doesn't. There was also some mild rubbing.

Blue Skies Coming
Old 06-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #12
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,064
Quote:

The faster turn in would be due the the tire being pinched to fit the rim, causing more of a "peak" at the center of the tread. When it starts to feel sluggish you are on the part of the rear tire that has a wider cross-sectional radius than the front does, which slows the handling. Go get the correct tire.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:36 PM   #13
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Go get the correct tire.

Originally Posted by speedgraphic

Blue Skies Coming
Old 06-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #14
ZiaThunder
Go big or go home

Oddometer: 655
Quote:
I've raced an SV wtih a 180 on the rear... liked it a whole lot better than with the 160 on the rear. Hard to go wrong with more contact patch. Most racer go up in size on the rears of every bike they race. YMMV.
ZiaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #15
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 789
Depends on the bike, the loading, the type of rider, tire pressure, etc.
If the OD is the same, and if the tire size is within range for the rim width, and if the width change does not cause a weird handling response, AND if the size change does not cause a load reduction issue, then no big deal.

A friend of mine rides a 99 Yamaha Venture Royal Star. Heavy bike, and the two of them top 650 lbs when on the bike. The previous owner had a different size rear tire mounted that reduced the rated max load by 90 lbs. That, combined with the over-loaded condition of both of them on the bike, and very likely the tire pressure was down, resulted in a CATASTROPHIC, sudden tire carcass failure at 70 mph. The tread separated from the carcass, and the tire split bead to bead across the tread, suddenly, in four places. It occurred suddenly, but I bet the tire was coming apart long before the eventual result.

The crash gave them both a lot of road rash, she suffered a pulverized left elbow, broken wrist, broken ankle, ruptured spleen and other injuries.