Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #361
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I told my kids to look where they want to go and the bike will go there. My big one figured it out immediatley. My five year old figured it out too, but she likes to deliberately look in one direction while riding in another direction, while shouting, "Look daddy. It doesn't work!" Man, that kid is a pain in the ass.
I'm pretty sure she's posted in this thread.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:22 AM   #362
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I told my kids to look where they want to go and the bike will go there. My big one figured it out immediatley. My five year old figured it out too, but she likes to deliberately look in one direction while riding in another direction, while shouting, "Look daddy. It doesn't work!" Man, that kid is a pain in the ass.
It only gets better/worse. Good luck!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #363
Rucksta
SS Blowhard

Oddometer: 2,658
How does a unicycle turn?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #364
nunuk
In Thrust We Trust

Oddometer: 22
Why bother on learning how to use the CS on purpose, other for leaning and swerving when you need it? The faster you lean the bike, the less lean angle you'll need to go through the turn. That's why it's important to be able to turn the bike even faster than we usually do, and we'll only achieve that if we master the CS technique.

Regular riders, forget the physics, you don't need to master the physics, practice; just push the bar and see what happens. Push a little bit harder and see what that extra push brings to you.

IMHO, there's nothing wrong in knowing the physics, but there's not a must to be a good rider.
nunuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #365
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
How does a unicycle turn?
Depends. When you're stopped you can slowly turn your torso in one direction, then jerk your legs around. If you're moving you keep your torso strait and jerk your legs a little opposite the direction you want to turn then as you begin to lean the conical shape of the tire/wheel begins to turn in the opposite direction you jerked your legs. It's a lot of jerking your torso and pelvis inline or apart from each other.

When I was 12 it took me a week of constant crashing to learn to ride a unicycle.

It's not like riding a bike, because you do forget how to do it.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #366
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Depends. When you're stopped you can slowly turn your torso in one direction, then jerk your legs around. If you're moving you keep your torso strait and jerk your legs a little opposite the direction you want to turn then as you begin to lean the conical shape of the tire/wheel begins to turn in the opposite direction you jerked your legs. It's a lot of jerking your torso and pelvis inline or apart from each other.

When I was 12 it took me a week of constant crashing to learn to ride a unicycle.

It's not like riding a bike, because you do forget how to do it.

I don't think that you do forget. I learned at 12, and really didn't use one for years. One day when I was 27, I saw this guy on an extended unicycle, with the seat about 5 feet high. I asked him if I could try it. I did it on the first try, and really impressed this girl i was trying to bang!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #367
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I don't think that you do forget. I learned at 12, and really didn't use one for years. One day when I was 27, I saw this guy on an extended unicycle, with the seat about 5 feet high. I asked him if I could try it. I did it on the first try, and really impressed this girl i was trying to bang!
I think in my mid 20's I did something similar. But now at 38 I tried to ride one a few months ago, and just couldn't get it.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #368
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
I think in my mid 20's I did something similar. But now at 38 I tried to ride one a few months ago, and just couldn't get it.

Good point. I'm 56, and not sure I'd try it now. I'll stick to the safer motorcycles and Mtn bikes!!!
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:41 PM   #369
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardengineer View Post
This reminds me of trying to ride my friend's pedal trike a few years ago. I never had a trike as a kid or rode one before this, so the only program in my brain for anything with handlebars is to countersteer. I could not for the life of me steer that trike! I would think to turn and try to turn the handlebars in the direction of the turn, but then muscle memory from riding two wheeled things would kick in and i would end up going the opposite direction of where i wanted to go every time. My friends had a good laugh at me steering into walls on the thing.
Don't testride a Can-Am Spyder then, unless you can arrange it on an acre of unobstructed pavement.

Seriously, though, it felt *very* strange to me to be using handlebars and not countersteering.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (236,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:06 PM   #370
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
good post,accurate and informative. But please, do you have to call a Harley Davidson a hardley in a informative post like this? I just get real tired of the old joke.
and yes i have one. along with a klr. and have had a wing along with a wide assortment of other on and off road machines.
Yep. Sorry. It's the Biker Way. Tease everybody about everything all the time, forever. It's ingrained like countersteering. But. I know how you feel. I get tired of all the brit bike jokes on occasion. My particular conditioning bleeds over into the rest of my life. I can't write a simple informative business note without sticking a bit of tease/humor into it. Rarely,,, I get one of my notes juuuust right and people save it. Or worse, print it out and hang it on their cubicle walls. Some of my stuff is difficult to live down. Gotta admit. I tried 'normal' for a while and nearly killed myself with the boredom.
The sheeple rarely let me down. It was 12 F degrees this morning and they asked me as I came in wearing my gear, "Did you ride today?" (OMC)
Old 03-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #371
ibafran
villagidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardengineer View Post
This reminds me of trying to ride my friend's pedal trike a few years ago. I never had a trike as a kid or rode one before this, so the only program in my brain for anything with handlebars is to countersteer. I could not for the life of me steer that trike! I would think to turn and try to turn the handlebars in the direction of the turn, but then muscle memory from riding two wheeled things would kick in and i would end up going the opposite direction of where i wanted to go every time. My friends had a good laugh at me steering into walls on the thing.
Happens to some hack drivers when they first start out. As it never happened to me when I was learning to drive a hack, I was floored when I saw it happen to a budd. Some riders recover/learn/adapt quickly and others seem to have some struggle with it? The human mind is forever amazing to me. My budds luv watching me deal with the foibles that I am stuck with.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #372
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
i nearly drove a goldwing/sidecar rig into ditch once at about two mph. i was never in any danger but it was weird.
a neighbor had hit a deer with the sidecar and wanted us to do an alignment on it. we don't normally work on anything other than automotive,but got talked into doing it. (not that hard to do btw) got done and went for a test ride?drive? about a mile from the shop the rig slowly started going left. i slowed down, it still kept going left. down to barley moving and it's still going left. I'm nearly in the ditch. it took all me willpower to finally turn the bars to the right and lo and behold it went right! never had a desire to ride a hack since. interestingly thou I've ridden lots of trikes,both motorcycle based and v.w.based and had no trouble at all.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #373
ibafran
villagidiot

A street hack is an eccentricly aligned and balanced vehicle. It won't go straight ever. One cannot take one's hands from the bars and expect that hack to go straight even for a moment. Granted, when it is aligned correctly, it will work about as well as it ever might. But a hack driver developes amazing shoulder strength the longer he/she drives a hack and adapts to the constant steering effort. When a new hack driver starts out, it isn't unusual to see him/her take a break from the effort every 20-30 minutes. City hacking is easier only due to being able to rest at traffic stop lights. Sometimes a friction steering dampener will be cranked down hard enough to keep the hack going mostly straight and give the driver some rest.

Racing hacks can be set up for cornering such that the corner requires the least effort to steer.

I defer to the experts in the hack section if I am found to be in error.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #374
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 836
I have to post in CS thread ...it should be like an regulatory stuff that you have to do....

Take a look at the first page ....Dakez post.....read it, get it, until you do it without thinking....thats it..
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #375
Coachgeo
Diesel Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
This is not to be until Tuesday.

You are already countersteering if you are turning a bike or motorcycle. (they do not turn otherwise)

It is nice to know the mechanics of it however... And to practice those mechanics.

Look Left Push left Go Left
Look Right Push Right Go Right
Look through the turn. Look through the turn. LOOK THROUGH THE TURN.

The end.
Took a while reading this thread to understand this. I new it intuitively; yet still took further reading for it to dawn on me why I was still slightly confused. It's because the above way of saying it didn't match science or reality not because it's wrong; ......... but cause I was reading his wording different than he intended it be read. It read to me as

look left, push left......... your now going left
Look right, push right..... your now going right
Look look etc.

of course that made no sense because push left side of bar is done in the 99% of time one is in a right turn.

So maybe it's best said initially as below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INITIALLY said/instructed
Turning Left: Loooook left, *some push left to setup lean for turn (AKA counter steer to lean left), then steer yourself to left
Turning Right: Loooook right, *some push right to setup lean for turn (AKA counter steer to lean right), then steer yourself to right

*counter steer is onset of turn and only momentary. more abrupt the counter steer, more abrupt/quick the lean will be. Quicker lean allows for quicker turn such as for evasive maneuver
Once that is clearly understood; thennnnn shorten it; for quicker brain processing when in action, to something like how Dakez and others put it. Say?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by short version
look Left, Push left, Steer Left. KEEP LOOKING LEFT!
Look Right, Push Right, Steer Right, KEEP LOOKING RIGHT!

EMPHASIS: Look through the turn.
Look through the turn. LOOK THROUGH THE TURN.

Coachgeo screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 07:14 PM
Coachgeo is offline   Reply With Quote