ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #616
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer
 
PhilB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Do you really think someone coaches Valetino Rossi or anyone else on top.
Yes. Yes, I do. Because it's true. All of those top guys have had extensive coaching and training throughout their careers, and (like all other top athletes) continue to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I'm not preaching ignorance , I'm preaching anti-windbag. This thread , if you still remember , was about countersteering. If you ride a bike , you countersteer , that's , end of story. Beginner or expert , there's only one way to turn a bike. You turned the thread into some long , boring , drawn out thesis where you could impress somebody with your junior college expertise. Get a life , nobody's impressed.
If you ride a bike, you countersteer. Yes. But if you don't KNOW you countersteer, you can (as many people IN REAL LIFE actually do) panic and override your muscle memory, and thus do exactly the wrong thing in an emergency situation and crash instead of avoiding the accident.

Those of us who are advocating having some basic knowledge about the actual mechanics of riding are saying that a person is safer if his body and his brain BOTH are on the right track, instead of just relying on one or the other. You continue to try to argue that having the brain involved is useless (which may well be true in your own case, but isn't for everyone).
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
You sure love spouting (and misspelling - see the irony?) the term willful ignorance, doncha?

Nobody has put that concept forth but you.
Oh yay, another imbecile. "Wilful" is a somewhat archaic spelling, but not an incorrect one.

joexr, and others, are arguing that it is useless to know consciously about countersteering, and are saying that no one should bother to teach the concept or to learn it. That, good sir, is advocating wilful ignorance -- NOT learning something, on purpose.

PhilB
__________________
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (235,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #617
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
I really can't figure out if you're slower upstairs or on a bike!You seem to have your own translation of the English language. Got anything more than twisting English?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #618
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer
 
PhilB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I really can't figure out if you're slower upstairs or on a bike!You seem to have your own translation of the English language. Got anything more than twisting English?
Sorry. I'm not going to reduce it to five-word sentences of two-syllable words for you. Perhaps you can get an adult to help you.

PhilB
__________________
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (235,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #619
Capt Crash
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Capt Crash's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: SW I...DOH! NO!
Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Do you really think someone coaches Valetino Rossi or anyone else on top. I'm not preaching ignorance ...
Just a tad maybe. It's not unusual at all to see folks like Kevin Schwantz brought in to coach a rider. Why? Because every champion understands they need to refine their craft. Talkin' and ridin' seem to be the order of the day...
__________________
Yeah, that Capt Crash http://www.HowitDoneCrash.com
Author of "Life, Motorcycles and..." & "The Elemental Motorcyclist"
Any Bike is Better Than No Bike.
Capt Crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:46 AM   #620
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Sorry. I'm not going to reduce it to five-word sentences of two-syllable words for you. Perhaps you can get an adult to help you.

PhilB
Come on Philby , at least TRY to be clever.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #621
shaddix
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Central AL
Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Do you really think someone coaches Valetino Rossi or anyone else on top. I'm not preaching ignorance , I'm preaching anti-windbag. This thread , if you still remember , was about countersteering. If you ride a bike , you countersteer , that's , end of story. Beginner or expert , there's only one way to turn a bike. You turned the thread into some long , boring , drawn out thesis where you could impress somebody with your junior college expertise. Get a life , nobody's impressed.
So, I have a nephew who says he turns his bike by hitting his knees into the tank. He is countersteering somehow of course, but doesn't know it. Do you think with enough seat time of smashing knees into the tank he will be Ok on deal's gap?
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #622
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
So, I have a nephew who says he turns his bike by hitting his knees into the tank. He is countersteering somehow of course, but doesn't know it. Do you think with enough seat time of smashing knees into the tank he will be Ok on deal's gap?
I don't think you're understanding what he's trying to say. I don't. Maybe you should get a bike and try it. He's probably better than Philby though.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:18 AM   #623
shaddix
Banned
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Central AL
Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I don't think you're understanding what he's trying to say. I don't. Maybe you should get a bike and try it. He's probably better than Philby though.
But what's the answer to my question? Pushing your knees into the tank is a common statement from people that do not understand countersteering. Granted he said smashing or hitting when he was describing it to me. He doesn't consciously press the bars for sure. Do you think with another 10,000 miles of seat time, just smashing knees into the tank, he will be able to corner just like someone who has taken the BRC?
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #624
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
But what's the answer to my question? Pushing your knees into the tank is a common statement from people that do not understand countersteering. Granted he said smashing or hitting when he was describing it to me. He doesn't consciously press the bars for sure. Do you think with another 10,000 miles of seat time, just smashing knees into the tank, he will be able to corner just like someone who has taken the BRC?
I'm pretty sure he's not hitting the tank with his knees , he proably means pushing. Maybe he just can't say what he's doing properly. He may ride well , maybe even better than yourself. Just because you don't understand what he's trying to say doesn't make him a dumbass.

joexr screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 06:40 AM
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:30 AM   #625
bumbeen
Banned
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I'm pretty sure he's not hitting the tank with his knees , he proably means pushing. Maybe he just can't say what he's doing properly. He may ride well , maybe even better than youself. Just because you don't understand what he's trying to say doesn't make him a dumbass.
You are an idiot, just sayin.
bumbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #626
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbeen View Post
You are an idiot, just sayin.
Takes one to know one , just sayin.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #627
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jim Moore's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Jax, FL
Oddometer: 12,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Do you really think someone coaches Valetino Rossi or anyone else on top. I'm not preaching ignorance , I'm preaching anti-windbag. This thread , if you still remember , was about countersteering. If you ride a bike , you countersteer , that's , end of story. Beginner or expert , there's only one way to turn a bike. You turned the thread into some long , boring , drawn out thesis where you could impress somebody with your junior college expertise. Get a life , nobody's impressed.
You're wrong on so many levels it's hard to know where to start, but this is as good as any.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/786/95...n-Insider.aspx

To wit: The battle for second place was an intense one with Aprilia rider, Leon Camier, shrugging off the effects of glandular fever to battle hard with Race 1 winner, Melandri, for the final two places on the podium. In the end Melandri won but it was still Camier’s first WSB podium since August of 2010. After thanking the team he heaped praise on his riding coach, Keith Code, who had been in his garage and watching trackside all weekend.
__________________
Jim Moore
Jax, FL

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #628
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
You're wrong on so many levels it's hard to know where to start, but this is as good as any.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/786/95...n-Insider.aspx

To wit: The battle for second place was an intense one with Aprilia rider, Leon Camier, shrugging off the effects of glandular fever to battle hard with Race 1 winner, Melandri, for the final two places on the podium. In the end Melandri won but it was still Camier’s first WSB podium since August of 2010. After thanking the team he heaped praise on his riding coach, Keith Code, who had been in his garage and watching trackside all weekend.
Ok , point made. What are so many of the other levels?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #629
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 13,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Ok , point made. What are so many of the other levels?
I bet they got hung up on push left to go left. I'm sure Leon was all like, "push what left, can't I just turn by leaning?".
__________________
Where the fuck...
Where the fuck is the bike?
You gotta be shitting me.
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #630
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Minnesota west central
Oddometer: 397
time to cut your losses joexr
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014