Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 09:58 AM   #76
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D View Post
I usually dont reply to forum threads but I couldnt resist. If you are going to tell a new rider how to countersteer please know what you are talking about. Countersteering doesnt start until 5-10-15 mph depending on the motorcycle. Up until that point a motorcycle steers the same as a car. Google motorcycle counter steering to read many good explanations. Youtube Police motorcycle training, there is no countersteering while making a 18 foot circle. Just my two cents.
False! Read the thread it's perfectly clear.
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #77
stretchmoney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Before I knew to countersteer, I was a very shit rider. I needed three lanes to take a right turn as fast as my friends using one lane. I scared the crap out of them. They were like "lean that shit over stretch!" And I just didn't get why I wasn't leaning like them. I was really trying to turn the bars right to turn right, so I had to slow way down to make the turn.
Knowing to countersteer made everything feel so much better.
And I am not convinced that you always countersteer at the slowest speeds. Open to being wrong, just how things feel to me when doing little slow speed parking lot circles.
stretchmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #78
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
A countersteer initiates the turn every time at speeds greater than 0 mph. Once you have started the turn the bars will yes, be turned in the direction of your turn. If you need to turn sharper, more countersteering will tighten your line.

Side note, to layer down, you must countersteer hard to initiate the layer down maneuver.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #79
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:
Countersteering doesnt start until 5-10-15 mph depending on the motorcycle. Up until that point a motorcycle steers the same as a car. Google motorcycle counter steering to read many good explanations. Youtube Police motorcycle training, there is no countersteering while making a 18 foot circle. Just my two cents.

First welcome to the Asylum.

But your first post on advrider.com is WRONG!!!

Your $0.02 ain't worth diddly squat!

Can you please post the video of this police motorcycle training... Or at the very least watch it again before sitting down to your ample plate of crow.

Here, let me help... How did the bike in said video get leaned over so it could complete the 18' circle?

Answer: Counter-steer

If a bike is moving at 1mph, 5mph, 15mph, 60mph or any fraction there of... Be it a trials bike, Sport Bike, Dual Sport or Cruiser.... To turn the bike some type of counter-Steer is initiated EVERY TIME!!!

END OF STORY.

Is that clear enough?

DAKEZ screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 12:04 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #80
tokyoklahoma
75%has been25%wanabe

Oddometer: 1,486
Thumb Gymkhana

There is a very good Japanese police training video in the gymkhana thread, that shows countersteering from a stop to make a sharp turn.
You do it every time you turn a motorcycle, at any speed, whether you realize it or not.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #81
shaddix
Banned

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

Can you please post the video of this police motorcycle training... Or at the very least watch it again before sitting down to your ample plate of crow.

Here, let me help... How did the bike in said video get leaned over so it could complete the 18' circle?

If a bike is moving at 1mph, 5mph, 15mph, 60mph or any fraction there of... Be it a trials bike, Sport Bike, Dual Sport or Cruiser.... To turn the bike some type of counter-Steer is initiated EVERY TIME!!!

END OF STORY.

Is that clear enough?
Why are you so rude? Completely unnecessary.
shaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #82
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
Why are you so rude? Completely unnecessary.
I find misleading people to be rude.

Quote:
If you are going to tell a new rider how to countersteer please know what you are talking about. Countersteering doesnt start until 5-10-15 mph depending on the motorcycle..
He was being condescending to people that happen to be right.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 12:05 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
I usually dont reply to forum threads but I couldnt resist. If you are going to tell a new rider how to countersteer please know what you are talking about. Countersteering doesnt start until 5-10-15 mph depending on the motorcycle. Up until that point a motorcycle steers the same as a car. Google motorcycle counter steering to read many good explanations. Youtube Police motorcycle training, there is no countersteering while making a 18 foot circle. Just my two cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post

END OF STORY.

Is that clear enough?
As DAKEZ says, countersteering happens at all speeds!
#46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #84
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,979
I'm with the Uccio on this one.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #85
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
When you lean your body one way, the bike leans the opposite way, (an equal and opposite amount) keeping the COG over the contact patches. But, now that the bike is leaning, the steering geometry causes the bars to turn in the direction of the lean. So, you lean your body right, the bike leans an equal and opposite amount left.
Is that your final answer?

If I lean my 200 pounds (self, riding gear, helmet) ten degrees left, my 600 pound FJR is going to lean ten degrees right?

Or perhaps some amount that may differ, depending on bike weight, rider weight, distance between each CoG and the pivot point- but enough to stay balanced?
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #86
Berryhollow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
After riding a motorcycle for several years I learned about countersteering. A light bulb came on about an experience I had as a child. After riding a bicycle for several years, I got a bike with a steering wheel. It took me a long time to learn to ride it and I didn't know why. After I learned about countersteering I realized that when I got a bike with a steering wheel I was trying to steer it like a two track vehicle. It took many falls to learn to countersteer using a steering wheel, not knowing that is what I was trying to learn to do. That bike also had a "drag brake" lever, and a rear wide slick tire, it was the 70's.

Berryhollow screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 01:11 PM
Berryhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #87
kiwi_outdoors
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Wow

yet another thread on an OLD subject.

I think the use of word steering is not helpful - you do not ever hold the bars fixed (like steering a car) - you only counter push briefly to lean the bike - then let the bike realign itself to stay balanced in the newly initiated turn

what confounds newbies (as it did me) was the delicate change of balance from NEEDING counterpushing, to being able to get a lot of help from body shift at slow speeds.

I finally made peace by NOT trying to think out slow speed turns - just do it - the brain is quite capable if let alone to do its work.
kiwi_outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #88
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
Side note, to layer down, you must countersteer hard to initiate the layer down maneuver.
Not at all. It's entirely possible to crash by merely locking the rear wheel on a sloped road surface... I suspect there are MSF students that do it nearly every weekend across the country.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #89
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
Im going to have to pay more attention when I am going slow to see how I initiate it before I turn the wheel to the left to go left when going slow.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #90
dwoodward
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berryhollow View Post
After riding a motorcycle for several years I learned about countersteering. A light bulb came on about an experience I had as a child. After riding a bicycle for several years, I got a bike with a steering wheel.
I see this- or a bike that has gears between bars and forks to reverse handlebar inputs- at county and state fairs. The "game" is to ride the bike for 20 feet w/o putting a foot down (or crashing).

I've been told that wheelying is also against the rules, but not until after I'd successfully done it.