Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #1096
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
To see counter steering of a two Wheeler in action, ride a bicycle without using your hands and go around a turn.

As you shift your weight to the inside of the turn, you see the front wheel first make a quick flick to the OUTside of the turn, immediately followed by it falling into the turn.

Tadah. Counter steering taken care of all by itself.

Oh, don't try this if you aren't already comfortable riding a bike without using your hands, both in a straight line and around a turn. :)
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:53 AM   #1097
Dirty in all
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Jesus fucking Christ, I share the road with some of these people!
ROFL!!

This made my morning , thanks.
Dirty in all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #1098
lnewqban
Ninjetter

Oddometer: 290
Cool2

http://totalcontrol-news.blogspot.co...stability.html
lnewqban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #1099
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
^^^

The Total Control Riding Clinic's blog (dated 2010) is okay in its way, and helps clarify some issues ~ despite its forest of words.

But even in the blog, you will note a confusing comment such as "the C of G is immediately between the contact patches of the tyres." [Found about 3/4 of the way down the page]

Probably the writer doesn't mean exactly what he says, but is just taking an excusable shortcut . . . but it is a shortcut which may add more confusion into this ADV thread of confusional froth & quibble.

Warning! Will Robinson! Warning!
The real C of G is not at the ground level.
It should not be necessary to mention that here . . . but apparently there are still some riders who believe that the rider's C of G is at the footpeg level.
And if that is the case, no wonder they are confusing themselves into a mental pretzel about the simple concept of countersteering and the desirability of emphasizing some practice of it for novice riders.
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #1100
LetItRoll
ForwardAholic

Oddometer: 92
Great, now that this countersteering information has "Leaked" out to the general public, you all realize that next week we are going to have to teach all of the beginners and novices about braking, adhesion, and what to do about fixed objects in the road (deer, gravel, oil, pedestrians, etc) that suddenly are closing at a much faster rate.

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!! Can you say High speed Multi-tasking.
LetItRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #1101
dazeedmonds
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItRoll View Post
I LOVE THIS THREAD!!! Can you say High speed Multi-tasking.
Texting and riding is one thing, but I can't imagine trying to read advrider and ride at the same time.

dazeedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #1102
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeedmonds View Post
Texting and riding is one thing, but I can't imagine trying to read advrider and ride at the same time.

There is an App for that!

Richard
PFFOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #1103
drienkm
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJohn View Post
Should I be able to make a CONCIOUS move of the handlebars to the opposite way I want to go or should I just continue as I am - having no problems in the turns etc without fully 'understanding' how I get around them????
You're fine. Countersteering is only taught explicitly so that those who really didn't know how to swerve quickly will know how, and to help reinforce the instinct of those who are already comfortable with the idea.
For me it goes like this... I'm riding... I swerve for some reason... somewhere in the back of my mind I think "Yep - that was countersteering."

It's like when you carry a really heavy toolbox in one hand and stick the opposite arm out to the side. Nobody taught you to do it, but if you know basic principles of statics, you can think to yourself "that arm is a counterballance", and perhaps take better advantage of the principle.
drienkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #1104
motocopter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Noticed this is signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty in all View Post
Think Im going to unsubscribe from this thread before my wife divorces me because Im in the garage acting out scenarios trying to settle an argument between me and myself.

2012 Concours 1400 | 2008 Z1000 | 1999 WR-400F
motocopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #1105
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by drienkm View Post
You're fine. Countersteering is only taught explicitly so that those who really didn't know how to swerve quickly will know how, and to help reinforce the instinct of those who are already comfortable with the idea.
For me it goes like this... I'm riding... I swerve for some reason... somewhere in the back of my mind I think "Yep - that was countersteering."

It's like when you carry a really heavy toolbox in one hand and stick the opposite arm out to the side. Nobody taught you to do it, but if you know basic principles of statics, you can think to yourself "that arm is a counterballance", and perhaps take better advantage of the principle.
This i like.

Sent from my Tandy 1000 mobile using DOS
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #1106
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
This has probably been covered before, and its pretty embarrassing considering ive been riding since 18, but I dont really push to initiate a turn. As others mention, it is mostly instinctive to me in terms of lean and all that.

However, when I need to use bars to help bring the bike back over the top and into the next turn quickly, I find that I PULL the opposite bar. To clarify:

Suggested method:
Need to turn left quickly; push the left grip.
Need to turn right quickly; push the right grip.

My faulty method:
Need to turn left quickly; pull the right grip.
Need to turn right quickly; pull the left grip.

However again, when I just gingerly make a left at a light, I can feel my body pushing the left bar and the same turning right. It isnt like I dont think about this or that I constantly dont try to hone my control of the bike. It just feels like when I need to shift fast I have so much more control pulling then pushing.
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #1107
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,378
I found I use both arms.

I read the book total control. It was suggested to use the inside arm to turn the bike. I then found I use both arms pushing and pulling. It does not matter which method pull or push, the result is the same.

David
Old 10-04-2013, 04:36 PM   #1108
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
This has probably been covered before, and its pretty embarrassing considering ive been riding since 18, but I dont really push to initiate a turn. As others mention, it is mostly instinctive to me in terms of lean and all that.

However, when I need to use bars to help bring the bike back over the top and into the next turn quickly, I find that I PULL the opposite bar. To clarify:

Suggested method:
Need to turn left quickly; push the left grip.
Need to turn right quickly; push the right grip.

My faulty method:
Need to turn left quickly; pull the right grip.
Need to turn right quickly; pull the left grip.

However again, when I just gingerly make a left at a light, I can feel my body pushing the left bar and the same turning right. It isnt like I dont think about this or that I constantly dont try to hone my control of the bike. It just feels like when I need to shift fast I have so much more control pulling then pushing.
I'm with you. I push left and pull right to turn left, reverse to go right. I literally do not think TURN the bars, I think PUSH PULL the bars... always have.

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:09 PM   #1109
Lancey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLzB5oriblk
Lancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #1110
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,809
Wow,

My brother just got back from the CLASS Motorcycle School down at VIR. Reg Pridmore was talking riding technique and told the class that he doesn't "believe" in countersteering.

Instead, Reg said, he shifts his weight left and the bike turns left, shifts his weight right and the bike turns right.

My brother, who has taken the BRC, ERC and Lee Parks Total Control riding clinic, thought that was a bit strange as up to this point everyone has drilled and drilled on countersteering. Anyway, not doubting Reg's riding cred, my brother said he tried to take a few corners just by leaning and nearly ran off the track.

This is from the CLASS website..

Quote:
These days there are lots of places to go to ride the track, and only a small handful of these days include proper instruction. Many of them are cheaper than CLASS. But what good can you possibly get from practicing bad habits over and over again? We'll help you get better - the right way! CLASS has been the leader in teaching the finer aspects of smoothness and control for street riders for a lot of years.
Talk about teaching bad habits! WTF?

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote