User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #1
chollo9 OP
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 990
Oil pump issue

Have an issue with the oil pump rotor on my R90/6 and since the description is buried in my other lengthy thread I thought I might get more response if called attention to it seperately:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=81

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

chollo9 screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 08:21 AM
chollo9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,023
Good question. The rotor should slide right off. Did you see any bright marks/witness marks on the rotor ID or the shaft? I'd try "honing"/"polishing" the ID of the rotor before I'd pull the camshaft.

--Bill
Old 03-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
chollo9 OP
Screwed the Pooch

That's today's plan, Bill. A cursory exam of the rotor looked okay, but I ran out of time last night--need to apply good lighting and magnification before I pull the cam. Thanks.

Joe
Old 03-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
I used to Loctite the inner rotors to the cam because I was uncomfortable with driving the pump with a Woodruff key. I'd say that if you can get the rotor on you'll be fine.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
chollo9 OP
Screwed the Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
I used to Loctite the inner rotors to the cam because I was uncomfortable with driving the pump with a Woodruff key. I'd say that if you can get the rotor on you'll be fine.
I'm sure I can get it on if I heat it first (I usually use a hot plate for things like this). I had thought about doing so, but wasn't sure where to place it for side clearance. With the cam pushed all the way toward the rear, and the inner rotor set at minimum clearance between a straight edge against the block--would that be right?
Old 03-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

I defer to BMWrench, but it seems to me that would be better to have the oil pump inner rotor "floating" on the camshaft shaft. IOW, being able to move axially but being moved (round-wise) by the woodruff key. There can't be a great deal of load on the pump rotor and the woodruff key and being floating, the rotor would find it's on center and float along on an oil film. The camshaft is constrained at the from by the cam bearing, and is a sliding-fit in the rear cam bearing (bushing??) bored in the crankcase. The camshaft is steel, what 8-10" long and the case is aluminum, the same distance. Aluminum has some 3x the coefficient of expansion as steel and over the winter-cold to summer-hot heating cycles, there is going to be several thousandth's relative difference between the oil pump rotor and the oil pump bore in the case. Seems to me that it'd be better floating on the camshaft shaft.

I've only seen the rotors as, at most, a very light thumb-push fit.

My thoughts, correct me if I'm wrong.

--Bill

Bill Harris screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 02:56 PM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,973
I had a few problems with my oil pump when I was replacing the rear seal and OP O-ring and a new clutch. You know the standard drill. I had one of the oil pump cover threads that I needed to Heli Coil. I swaped to a modern cover with bolts instead of the Philips scews. I had a used one in better condition than my original. On the inside the outer and inner rotors both came out as they should but I found that the Woodruff Key in the cam was too small. The Key was loose enough that it even wobbled a little. This had been in place for several years at least. The engine never showed signs of having oil pressure problems except for other reasons. When I got this all back together I used a correctly fitting Woodruff Key and the best looking oil pump parts I had. They all slide in fine.

Don't know if any of this helps your situation. I can't see how the engine would do this to it self. Somebody installed inferior or damaged parts maybe?

You'll figure it out I'm sure. We have faith in you.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341

disston screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 04:10 PM
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #8
chollo9 OP
Screwed the Pooch

Old 03-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #9
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Chollo, we're not depressing you, are we? Nevernomind, Charlie and I are Geezers and we do this sometimes...

--Bill
Old 03-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #10
chollo9 OP
Screwed the Pooch

Oh, it's not you--I just feel like Michael Corleone, to paraphrase, "Just when I thought I was out, it pulls me back in!"
Old 03-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
chollo9 OP
Screwed the Pooch

Thought about it last night, and decided to do it the right way. Pulled the cam today, even though the timing chest was already buttoned up (see picture of me above).

Put the cam between centers and checked it with a gauge and, as I suspected, there's a lump on the shaft where the rotor rides. How it got there, who knows, maybe someone dropped it or whacked it at some point. It's true near the shoulder, but rises .003" toward the nose, about 1/4 or 1/5 of the way around. Here are some pics of checking and the worst spot marked with ink:

Thankfully the rest of the cam runs true and looks fine, so the plan is to hand-fit the oil pump end to the rotor (stone & polish) and put it back together. Yippee, should be lots of fun!

Then I can get back to where I was Friday . . .
Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Thumb

Very good. The cam could possibly have been dropped on it's nether-end at one time. I probably would have opted to use a more indirect means of finding that lump, but now you know more about the internals.

Bill