Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Noblehops OP
Misfit

Oddometer: 138
Hopping up a hexhead - what would you do?

I just got back from 7 days hooning about the Alps and Dolomites...

...on a borrowed R1200R, and it was a bit, shall we say, "massaged", to the tune of ~130 HP or so. But here's the thing - if anything it was *more* driveable; It had great smooth low-end torque, great throttle response, it was smoother through out the rev range with no huge flat spot at 4K and between 4-7K it pulled a *lot* harder than my stock '07 GS.

I want this for my bike.

And yes, I know that would get me into W-GS territory, but I don't want a new bike. Mine is otherwise dialed and perfectly farkled, and paid-for. I love my bike, I just want to love it a little more

The company that did the work on my buddy's bikeis called M-Tec near Munich, Germany, and seem to be pretty good at this stuff. This is content from their website. (I would just post a link but this is (machine) translated from this page: http://www.bmw-motorradtuning.de/bmw...ng-preisliste/)

My buddy's bike was done to "Tuning level 7"

TUNING series engines built R1200GS 04-07

Tuning Stage 1: Power Commander V with cylinder-selective voting € 849
(not vote cylinder selective - but just € 649 )

Tuning Stage 2: Power Commander V with cylinder-selective tuning, K & N air filter and
exhaust system twin-shot exhaust system in stainless steel € 1,949

Tuning Stage 3: Power Commander V with cylinder-selective tuning, K & N air filter and
exhaust system Akrapovic Exhaust System Titanium or Carbon € 2,099

Tuning Stage 4: Woessner pistons, cylinder head gaskets, various sealing materials, 4 NGK Iridium spark plugs, oil filters, high performance motor oil, Power Commander V with cylinder-selective tuning and installation € 1,719

Tuning Stage 5: Woessner pistons, cylinder head gaskets, sport camshafts type 1, various sealing materials, 4 NGK Iridium spark plugs, oil filters, high performance motor oil, Power Commander V with cylinder-selective tuning and installation € 2,219

Tuning Stage 6: Pistal piston, cylinder head gaskets, various sealing materials, 4 NGK Iridium spark plugs, oil filters, high performance motor oil, Power Commander V with cylinder-selective tuning and installation € 2,399

Tuning Level 7: Pistal piston, cylinder head gaskets, various sealing materials, sports camshafts type 1, 4 NGK Iridium spark plugs, oil filters, high performance motor oil, Power Commander V with cylinder-selective tuning and installation € 2,899

Tuning Level 8: Woessner pistons, cylinder head gaskets, sport camshafts type 1, various sealing materials, 4 NGK Iridium, oil filters, high performance motor oil, Power Commander V with cylinder-selective tuning, Twin Shot exhaust system in VA with ABE and installation € 3,349

Tuning Level 9: Woessner pistons, cylinder head gaskets, sport camshafts type 1, various sealing materials, 4 NGK Iridium spark plugs, oil filters, high performance motor oil, Power Commander V with cylinder-selective tuning, Akrapovic full system titanium or carbon and installation € 3,499

Tuning Level 10: Pistal piston, cylinder head gaskets, sport camshafts type 1, various sealing materials, 4 NGK Iridium, oil filters, high performance motor oil, Power Commander V with cylinder-selective tuning, Twin Shot exhaust system in VA with ABE and installation € 4,179

Tuning Level 11: Pistal piston, cylinder head gaskets, sport camshafts type 1, various sealing materials, 4 NGK Iridium spark plugs, oil filters, high performance motor oil, Power Commander V with cylinder-selective tuning, Akrapovic full system titanium or carbon and installation € 4,334
So the question is this: If you wanted to spend $3,000 - $5,000 on your (street) GS to tart it up a bit, what would you opt for? And optionally, who would you work with in California to do it with?

TIA for your thoughts,

N.

"In Penne We Trust"
Noblehops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,629
I'd work with the local Ducati dealer. You don't want a GS. You want a Multi Strada.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,680
Lose 50 pounds!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,568
I'd go with lennies rocket sprockets, a power commander or at least a booster plug, and a free flowing exhaust. Won't be 130 hp but will be much smoother and better low and mid range "usable" power.
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,912
A turbo will get you there.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
roger 04 rt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,062
Assuming your bike is stock and that your goals are modest, you're starting out with a really good, well designed motorcycle. Its BMS-K is a terrific spark and fueling computer.

I would begin by adding two Innovate Motorsports LC-1s. Then I would set your closed loop mixture at 0.92 or 0.93. You won't believe the difference in mid-range power availability. What you'll have accomplished is shifting your motorcycle from its lean EPA mixture, where it runs at peak-EGTs to its Best Power Mixture. That is you'll have gotten the engine to produce all the power it can in stock form. The cost for 2 LC-1s is about $350.

In my Wideband O2 thread I'm about to start posting 4 charts that show in some added detail how the BMSK works with its O2 sensors. That will also let you see just what you give up the moment you attach a PC V—virtually all of the BMS-Ks adaptive capability.
roger 04 rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
BV BEEMER
Can I see some ID?

Oddometer: 563
...funny, I asked that E-X-A-C-T question 5 days ago while sitting at Caffe Pergolesi. I understand there is a great beemer mechanic in San Jose, but I just moved here and have no direct knowledge.
BV BEEMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Racegun
Single Track Mind!

Oddometer: 2,547
K bike
s1000

on and on
Old 06-04-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Lose 50 pounds!

Jim
Good one. I resemble that remark.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,433
I'd just get the 'high performance motor oil' I'm sure it works wonders.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:44 AM   #11
Noblehops OP
Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
I'd just get the 'high performance motor oil' I'm sure it works wonders.
That particular feature might have been garbled by the machine translation. I think it might be actually referring to increasing the flow or pressure of the oil pump for better heat management.

"In Penne We Trust"
Old 06-05-2013, 04:48 AM   #12
Noblehops OP
Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I'd work with the local Ducati dealer. You don't want a GS. You want a Multi Strada.
Did you end up installing one of Poolside's devices Jim? I think I saw a dozen or more posts of yours (!) in that "Hot rodding a GS" thread. Or did you just take your own advice and buy a MTS?

"In Penne We Trust"
Old 06-05-2013, 05:49 AM   #13
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,629
I actually sold the GS before I had a chance to install it. That being said, I see a vast gulf between a few bucks for a piece of wire, and a multi-thousand dollar expense to gain a few ponies.

But I've never understood buying a bike and trying to turn it into a different bike, one that is readily available. Like the R1100S guys who immediately buy bar backs and peg lowering kits. Just buy an R1100RS. It's the same bike.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:20 AM   #14
Noblehops OP
Misfit

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
I actually sold the GS before I had a chance to install it. That being said, I see a vast gulf between a few bucks for a piece of wire, and a multi-thousand dollar expense to gain a few ponies.

But I've never understood buying a bike and trying to turn it into a different bike, one that is readily available. Like the R1100S guys who immediately buy bar backs and peg lowering kits. Just buy an R1100RS. It's the same bike.
OK, lemme see if I have this right: You used to own a GS. You were very interested in 'hotrodding' it at the time. But you didn't in the end. Then you sold the GS for something else, maybe even a Multistrada. And now you question why someone would want to improve the performance of his GS.

Well thanks for stopping by, and congratulations on hitting 10K posts

"In Penne We Trust"
Old 06-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #15
Noblehops OP
Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racegun View Post
K bike
s1000

on and on
Yaknow, I traded a pretty young FJR for my GS, and never looked back. Those are both nice bikes, but I don't really like the big multicylinder supersport tourers anymore, and a pure sportbike holds no interest. The bike I rode in Europe was perfect - everything I like about the boxer, only moreso :-).

"In Penne We Trust"