User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
mikejohn OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,135
planning a AK ride

My brother and i talk about a ride to Prudhoe bay AK, going from Nashville TN, riding a 98 and 00 tiger, what would be a safe number of days to do this? need to carry extra fuel? tires? we are looking to 2014 or 2015 and when is the best time to go Thanks

P.S. or we could set up our NX's
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Moms
Gun Driver

Oddometer: 50
Have done it twice from Salt Lake City. First time spent a month, the second 17 days due to my son's time constraints. Ferry from Skagway to Prince Rupert the first time, Bellingham to skagway the second. Most of us were on GS's, gas was not a problem with a gallon extra needed going to the Arctic Circle out of Dawson City. we did about 9,000 miles that trip. Be prepared for flats from the sharp crushed gravel, often just like small arrowheads, not pea gravel. Coming all that way, I can't imagine you're not needing tires at some point. When you get to Alaska tires may be hard to find if you haven't made arrangements. The "dust" can also be hard on brake pads and, I would imagine, a chain.
Moms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Moto-Kafe
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 478
Lots of info here...........

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68

You WILL need tires before returning.........at least a rear. The chipseal coating on the northern most roads up there "eats away" tires faster than regular asphalt. Brake pad spares = good idea, plus maybe an air filter depending on conditions and where you go (long gravel stretches). There are numerous Ride Reports here.........read them and learn from other's mistakes (or good planning)........a wealth of information is a click away!! I'm planning such a trip, but no date yet. I believe the "weather window" for which to make this trip is mid-May to September...........others more experienced than I will chime in shortly.
Moto-Kafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Moms
Gun Driver

Oddometer: 50
I think the Alaskans say that "June is spring, July is summer, and August is fall". I remember a waitress in Seward on Labor Day weekend,years ago saying, when I asked where all the tourist's were, "Honey, it's winter - they're all gone". Get a bug net for your head and keep it handy in your pocket - when the bugs are bad, they are really bad. June is a good month to go since the sun never really sets and you can ride all day. The challenge then becomes remembering to stop and get some sleep.
Moms is offline   Reply With Quote