User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
pinecone OP
任意人

Oddometer: 1,438
Buell M2 + Bingham Sidecar = ????

Hello all! It has been a while since I posted in ADV, but I need to pick the brains of the smartest folks in motorcycling!

I recently acquired a Bingham sidecar (Thanks Lone Amigo!) that I was originally going to mate up to my Vespa, but I decided to mate it up to my Buell instead.

What I would like to know is:

1) Any Buellers out there with a hack?
2) Good sources that can guide me as to where to mount, set up, etc....

Thanx!
Old 10-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #2
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,312
I think it's been done.

It will only be a matter of time before it tears up the frame on your Buell.

No way in hell those uniplanar mounting tabs on the frame were sized for the lateral loads of a sidecar. You might get away with it for a little while but, I would bet that in thorough testing, it would bend or break the frame on the Buell (especially the front triangle).

If you get away with it, it won't mean I'm wrong, it just means you haven't put the right (wrong) load into it yet.

Find a different bike to tow the chair.
Donkey Hotey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,284
Would never consider it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
Hello all! It has been a while since I posted in ADV, but I need to pick the brains of the smartest folks in motorcycling!

I recently acquired a Bingham sidecar (Thanks Lone Amigo!) that I was originally going to mate up to my Vespa, but I decided to mate it up to my Buell instead.

What I would like to know is:

1) Any Buellers out there with a hack?
2) Good sources that can guide me as to where to mount, set up, etc....

Thanx!
YES, I have a Buell. It's an 09, 1125CR, W/ many up grades. The power is instant w/ more hp/torq than anything I have ever riden. But it is light, very light. Very much enjoy it. W/ frame work full of gasoline there is no way I would attached anything pulling & yanking it, in all directions. Wait till you smack a deep pot hole. The hollow AL frame was a great design of Eric Buell & company. Never any consideration to do any more than be light & go FUN fast, plus win a few races.

This 1125 was design to be a solo & the only thing meant to hang off of it, is your knee.

Now if I could put the motor, FI system & gearing in something else w/ a solid frame . But then I would yeild to the buyer's better understanding too.
Wolfgang55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,337
Not a HD Buell fan but !!!!!

It's about torque getting the sidecars moving the HD based Buells would have plenty of that.
The early lightings or cyclones with the steel tube frames would be much easier to work with and are relatively inexpensive plus there's lots of aftermarket support yet,chain drive kits for better gearing.
Wolfie is right his isn't a candidate it has more in common with Italian cousins Aprilia's than HD.
I hate Eric and have never been able to see much genius in his work but I've always been tempted to get one to play with. I haven't changed Wolfie.
Rode the early lighting showed up at the dealers on a vicious Ducati Monster 90 hp sales guy said lets go for a ride but Ducati men never buy these things, I'll understand. DB
Old 10-04-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,414
We have worked with the tube frame Buells and they do well. The one mentioned is doable but may not be worth the effort it takes to do it right. Extensive , very extensive, subframe structure would be required which raises a huge question of whether it would be better to begin with a clean drawing pad...thus the cost vs value ratio would be questionable at best.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
GearHeadGrrrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
OP's M2 is a "tuber" frame Buell...

Similar to the one you did before, Claude. Like my M2, has some minor differences though, just to complicate things...