User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
Krazyjohnny OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Mena, AR Day trip

Took the wife and son to Mena over the weekend to ride Wolf Pen Gap. We had been there several times before so it was really a no brainer.

We drug the Airstream along for the weekend and stayed at the Shadow Mountain Campground just south of Mena. This turned out to be perfect. You can ride from the campground over to the trail head from there via the Forest Service roads. The ride Saturday was great for the family we were able to ride from the west end all the way out to the east end and all of the trails in between with little to no traffic between 0900 and noon. We had to skip the "most difficult" stuff that the wife and I usually ride with our son in tow. Still a great time even with the dusty heat.

As luck would have it the next day I got hooked up with a guy camping next to us that knew his way around the forest pretty good and this turned out to be an EPIC day of riding for me. His name is JD and he offers guided trips through the area south of Wolf Pen. We went out and rode for 4-5 hours on Forest Service roads, Single tracks, old logging tracks, and some tight double tracks. I got ride some really steep stuff, creek crossings, and just some wide open stuff.

I got hooked with him on Sunday so I guess that is why it was like a religious day of riding. Can't wait to get back and get some more of that.
08' 530 EXCR, 09' Yamaha FZ-6 and dreaming of a new bike
Krazyjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
GP MX Fan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Sounds like a great time. I have been looking into the area myself as part of our vacation next year.

2002 Heritage Softail Classic
1998 Honda CR250
1983 OSSA 303 Trials
and some other odds and ends...
GP MX Fan is offline   Reply With Quote