Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #16
Sp4Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Shameless plug...

http://adventuretouringmotorcycle.com/motorcycle-laws/

Nothing there about wheelies, but plenty about lane splitting among other stuff. http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/...tate-Laws.aspx

I'm not sure if they would send an expert witness to your court date, but I would fight tooth and nail about it.
Sp4Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
Racer111v
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
In New England standing on the pegs will get you pulled over (Stunting). I'm actually starting to get self conscience about riding one handed...
Racer111v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #18
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer111v View Post
I'm actually starting to get self conscience about riding one handed...
As you should, bad idea.

Yes, I sometimes do it too.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:41 AM   #19
bridwell52
Banned

Oddometer: 143
In Florida its a $1000 fine on the first offense.
bridwell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #20
DestinationUnknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I have seen a ticket issued for wheeling(not speeding at the time) and it was checked off as Careless Driving on the ticket.
DestinationUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #21
dmftoy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
For the op - IL just passed a law in effect June 2012 I think that motorcycles can go through red lights if they've sit through "x" number of cycles or "x" amount of time. I can't remember the exact details
dmftoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #22
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,929
I know an inmate who found out that riding a wheelie through town on an XR650L costs $312.50 in fees to the state. That's the figure scrawled on the front fender of his bike in magic marker as a reminder not to do it again.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #23
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridwell52 View Post
In Florida its a $1000 fine on the first offense.

One of our local riders got a ticket for standing up and doing a wheelie. There was a log across a dirt road and an officer ticketed him for standing up and doing a wheelie over it. when he tried to explain to the officer "why" he did it, the officer told him he should have stopped and moved the log or rerouted. Some officers misinterpret laws. Letter of the law and spirit of the law are not the same. The tickets were tossed in court by a judge that happens to ride.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:45 AM   #24
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmftoy1 View Post
For the op - IL just passed a law in effect June 2012 I think that motorcycles can go through red lights if they've sit through "x" number of cycles or "x" amount of time. I can't remember the exact details
Perhaps the OP should move to the liberal, lawless midwest...
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #25
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by kels View Post
NOT in Kansas
They come under the exhibition of acceleration.
Which is part of the drag racing statute and stays on
your Kansas drivers license for SIX years

Does wonders for your driving history and future insurance payments.........
Don't think that would pass an appeal to some higher court, esp. the top dogs if they'd take it. "Exhibition of acceleration" is way too broad, IMO.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:52 AM   #26
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Are motorized unicycles legal?
Old 01-01-2013, 06:58 AM   #27
gmk999 OP
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 410
OhhhOh new England

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Perhaps the OP should move to the liberal, lawless midwest...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u96COiazRS8.

I recently was pulled over in VT for riding @ 90 at 5;am in the rain in december. (The weather turned during a camping trip and was beating feet home before it turned to snow) I told the officer that no way could my little 650 go that fast, He proceded to tell me more about my bike then i knew myself. Busted!! No ticket though.
I love New England
Old 01-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #28
Racer111v
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmftoy1 View Post
I still run into lights that won't change for a motorcycle. I take a quick look in the mirror, and if no cage help is coming I'll go. I have also really wimped out and taken a right and turned around.
Racer111v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #29
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
No matter if legal or not, I'd always tell the LEO I miss-shifted and didn't do the wheely intentionally. Of course that only works for short ones.

As to riding one handed... I regularily greet the LEOs here with both hands up in the air.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #30
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
Yeah, whenever I see LEOs I kinda have a tendency to throw myself on the ground with my hands behind my head. Sometimes I crash when I do that.

In Arkansas they have some very vague laws regarding "reckless driving/riding", and "unsafe driving/riding". Actually the way it works is if a cop decides it's one of those you are going to get a ticket or jail, and the cop gets to decide whether to assign a misdemeanor or felony. High speed wheelies can be considered felonies with jail time and a permanent record as a convict.

A few yrs ago I was drag racing a Lotus on a KTM 520 and pulled an 1/8th mile wheelie just for fun. I stomped that Lotus from 0-80 or so on the back wheel, but then he flew past like a bullet. Anyway, several days later I got pulled over by a cop, and I had been riding slow and legal. First, he asked me about my barely street legal KTM with supermoto tires but with barkbusters and all scratched and broken plastic from riding Enduros and singletrack. The bike was about 90% legal, but he skipped that and moved on. Then he moved on to license and registration, which was in order. Then he told me that he had been in his civilian personal auto when I raced the Lotus and did the big wheelie. He said that if he had been in his cruiser he would have had to run me down and give me a ticket. I couldn't help but grin when he said "run me down". I tried really hard to keep a straight face, I really did! But I couldn't.

This cop must have known a little about bikes cause he then looked at my sprockets. I had 15 front and I think something like 32 tooth rear? What I had was the biggest and littliest that I could find for that bike. Top speed was around 120.

Then he asked what kind of car that was I was racing and we talked about that a little.

He ended up being pretty cool and saying that it was a great wheelie, and at least I won the dragrace and let me go without even a warning ticket,but did tell me that if he saw me do it again he'd have to TRY and catch me, and he was grinning then. Pretty cool cop I guess.

Like I said, in Arkansas it's up to the LEO.
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote