Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Touratech Extreme Rear Shock, BMW R1200GS & Adventure
Not yet rated. Be the first to write a review
Part Number: 044-5870 $1795

Touratech Explore Front Shock, BMW R1200GS & Adventure
Not yet rated. Be the first to write a review
Part Number: 044-5875. $795

It would be interesting to have a trusted expert like Dan Kyle explain the differences between the Touratech shocks and the new TTX Ohlins. Dan sells the new TTX Ohlins properly set up for about $500 cheaper than Touratech wants for the ones pictures above. I would like to learn what the extra $500 buys me.

MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #18
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANXMAN View Post
It would be interesting to have a trusted expert like Dan Kyle explain the differences between the Touratech shocks and the new TTX Ohlins. Dan sells the new TTX Ohlins properly set up for about $500 cheaper than Touratech wants for the ones pictures above. I would like to learn what the extra $500 buys me.

A Touratech Sticker....
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #19
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
A Touratech Sticker....
Well as far as stickers go......that's a pretty nice one

MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 AM   #20
Spaggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
$2600 for shocks?????? That just nuttier than a squirrel turd.
Spaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #21
SeeRace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
My question is should I really consider the upgrade, is it just common sense considering the current mileage and what we intend to do in 10 months, am I going to be sorry somewhere in Bolivia that I did not do this when I had the chance. Or are we going to be just fine with the OEM and instead use that money to cover most of my gas, and a couple of offshore fishing trips?[/QUOTE]

Heldge Pederson says on the Touratech (or maybe GlobeRiders) website that his shocks have failed on every trip. He does not say what shocks he has used or if they were stock in every case. That is with a single rider fully loaded I believe. His latest trip started this week. It will interesting to see his review on this trip with the Touratech shocks.

I changed the shocks on my 2006 GS bike after 12,000 miles to HyperPros and it transformed the bike. I would definitely think about changing your shocks before making a trip like you are planning. For peace of mind if nothing else.
SeeRace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #22
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeRace View Post
My question is should I really consider the upgrade, is it just common sense considering the current mileage and what we intend to do in 10 months, am I going to be sorry somewhere in Bolivia that I did not do this when I had the chance. Or are we going to be just fine with the OEM and instead use that money to cover most of my gas, and a couple of offshore fishing trips?
Heldge Pederson says on the Touratech (or maybe GlobeRiders) website that his shocks have failed on every trip. He does not say what shocks he has used or if they were stock in every case. That is with a single rider fully loaded I believe. His latest trip started this week. It will interesting to see his review on this trip with the Touratech shocks.

I changed the shocks on my 2006 GS bike after 12,000 miles to HyperPros and it transformed the bike. I would definitely think about changing your shocks before making a trip like you are planning. For peace of mind if nothing else.
I think he always started with the stock suspensions. Can't imagine a pair of ohlins failing on the road. And since he's sponsored I think he's exaggerating the "always failed" part.

Considering the price I don't think they are overpriced here in europe.
The wilbers 640 is 700€
The ohlins premium is 850€
The TT level 2 is 750€
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 03:32 AM
Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #23
aGremlin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher View Post
$2600 for shocks?????? That just nuttier than a squirrel turd.
Here in New Zealand, my ESA Ohlins cost the equivalent of your 4100 canadian pesos... no fitting included, as I did that myself.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 AM   #24
M1Tanker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post

I think he always started with the stock suspensions. Can't imagine a pair of ohlins failing on the road. And since he's sponsored I think he's exaggerating the "always failed" part.

Considering the price I don't think they are overpriced here in europe.
The wilbers 640 is 700
The ohlins premium is 850
The TT level 2 is 750[/QUOTE]

That was my experience regarding price for high end suspension systems. They were all relatively close in price. Additionally, Touratech Mitte Zweirad Norton is my local area. They have experience with a number of different brands/types of suspension systems and if I have any set up questions I can drop in and see them. They are experienced and nice to work with.

I hope to ride to Morocco in the April/May timeframe. I will see how the suspension system performs there as well.
M1Tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #25
jachard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
As with most things Touratech, you are paying for the "name". Personally I find most of their offerings grossly overpriced. Plus the company that makes them has only been around for two years vs. Ohlins that has been around since 1976.....

http://octaneworks.wordpress.com/
jachard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #26
Disco Dean
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
One thing I do not like about the Touratech shocks - as shown - the front does not have any compression damping adjustment - only rebound as noted.

In fact it was what kept me from the Ohlins (although I have had great experience with these in the past on other bikes) Until the new Ohlins came out recently for the GS with fast and slow compression damping for the front shock.

That is why I chose Elka's as the front have always had compression damping adjustments - which I have found to be very important when setting up the bike for me.

And, as for setting up the bike with full load or not - I set a baseline for my shock build and the preload adjuster takes care of all possible loading up to and beyond the rating for the bike - for my rear shock it works out to 25lbs per click preload when adding equipment for proper sag - which leaves me more preload than the bike can handle if needed.

They also have remote reservoirs so that I can attach them wherever they are convenient to reach - so no trouble getting to knobs.

IF the Ohlins had a front shock with compression damping adjustment when I bought - I most likely would have gone with Ohlins - BUT am very happy with my Elkas and the $$$$

For the extreme money I would not get the Touratech with no front shock comp adjustment.

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #27
B-Nice
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I am finding myself pounding the heck out of my 2012 1200 GSA (32,000 miles so far) and it has been amazing. I too, am looking to upgrade my shocks. My GSA has ESA and I am want the MOST functional and MOST RELIABLE equipment when I travel.

Having said all this, and if money is not the top priority, and you have ESA, would you chose Ohlins EC or the Touratech Extreme?

From what I read, changing the shocks is the best upgrade you can do for this bike. So far the best thing I have added was the 4.25 adventure pegs from Fastway. They reallly made a difference. I always ride loaded to travel and searching for the next adventure... Thanks for your input!
B-Nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #28
M1Tanker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
B-Nice,

I just sent you a PM.

M1Tanker
M1Tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #29
justinallen03
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Why are they so expensive?

That rear touratech looks nice, and fitted with EVERY bell and whistle...length adjustment, 2-stage damping, high-low comp and rebound adjustment, and apparently enough preload adjustment to throw a house on the back of your bike when you need to. Plus a sweet sticker and a hefty price tag.

The front? Eh, I would have liked to have seen a remote reservoir and more adjustment on it.

In the end, it is the same technology as pretty much every major manufacturer, except for the new Ohlins TTX. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but Ohlins departed from this design (including the 2-stage PDS) damping) in favor of the TTX on their high-end offerings.

Unless you like the new TTX design (which I did, and ultimately bought...and friggin awesome ), I would lean towards a custom build of pretty much any other company (Hyperpro, Yacugar, Elka, to name a few) and talk to them about what you need. Their stickers are pretty cool too .
justinallen03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #30
V-Stormer
Bush Basher

Oddometer: 103
I've been looking at shocks recently too and have compared the Ohlins TTX and the Touratech Extreme/Expedition and the only apparent difference I can see is the Touratech has Hi/Low speed compression, whereas the Ohlins seems to only have one adjustment for compression. Trying to compare features from within all the sales hype is not fun. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that point, but that seems to be one of the fundamental differences.

V-Stormer screwed with this post 12-01-2013 at 01:50 PM
V-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote