Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
StuartV OP
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,042
SW-Motech/TwistedThrottle engine guards / crash bars for '09?

I'm thinking of getting some SW-Motech crash bars from TwistedThrottle. They are quite a bit less expensive than any of the other options I have found (Wunderlich, TouraTech, AltRider, or ADVDesigns). And the metallic silver powdercoated finish looks (in the pictures) like it might look kind of cheesy in person. So, two questions:

- Are these as good as the others I mentioned (at least one of which is actually made by Hepco-Becker)? Or am I going to regret not spending the extra $100 - 200?

- How does the finish look in person and do you think it will look okay with my bike's paint scheme? I'm not sure what the color name is (I'd call it anthracite?), so here's a picture:

And for those of you kind enough to at least read this far, I'll pass this along: I was at the IMS show in DC yesterday and the TwistedThrottle rep gave me a coupon code good for 15% off your entire order. It expires on 1/13. The code is ... well, crap! I am not remembering it correctly and I left the card at home. I will post it when I get home tonight (after watching the Tide stomp ND ).

With the discount, the crash bars are only like $220. Seems crazy to pass up, at that price. My riding buddy just got a SuperT, so I expect to start doing some offroading with the GS. Crash bars, a headlight guard, and an oil cooler guard seem like necessities before I start doing that (and following somebody on a SuperT down gravel roads).
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #2
StuartV OP
Motorcyclist

ps. I tried searching for posts on the TwistedThrottle crash bars and only found one poster who had them and he liked them. But, I'd like to hear more. I'm sure there must be more info already on here, but I guess my searching skillz were a Fail.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
BitesTheDust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I have HB's - black. The guards are doing a good job protecting those jugs.
BitesTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
TuefelHunden
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587

These are mine. I like 'em. Haven't had to test them yet and hope I never do.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
StuartV OP
Motorcyclist

Thanks, guys. So, I figured out that searching for SW-Motech crash bars, instead of TwistedThrottle yields much better results. But, what I've found/read so far seems to be mostly from a few years back, where the design of the Motechs seemed to have some real flaws. Now, it seems that they have redesigned the Motechs to address at least one of the main issues the older design has - namely, bolting onto the bottom of the bash plate.

So, if anybody can share any thoughts on the current design of the bars, as used on an '09 GS, and how they compare to the designs of the more expensive ones, I would really appreciate it. I mean, I know the HB bars are nice. That's not the question. The question is, are the SW-Motech bars as nice (and half the money)? If they're not as nice, why not?

Thanks, again.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
Spalato
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
take them

bought SW-Motech engine guards shortly after buying my bike in 2009.I am very pleased with this product.Tested them last year when bike was sliding on engine guard for 6-7 meters. i must say that it did very good job in protecting the engine.Bars look little bit filed now and they are bended but engine newer took a scratch.I will post some pictures of damage it took when i get back home (I'm currently aboard ship and it is difficult for me to post pictures) so you can see amount of abuse they withstand.another thing is that they don't protect well when you drop bike on rocky terrain then valve cover did get some light damage.Another thing is that quality of screws that you recive with kit is not high standard They rusted wery fast but then again i keep my bike outside and i don't clean it that often.

Spalato screwed with this post 01-07-2013 at 04:35 PM Reason: to add pictures
Spalato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
StuartV OP
Motorcyclist

Thanks, spalato. Sounds like they are a good investment at $220. I'll order some up as soon as I can remember to grab the coupon code from home!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
StuartV OP
Motorcyclist

And the coupon code is.... IMSWASH1213
Old 01-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartV;
. My riding buddy just got a SuperT, so I expect to start doing some offroading with the GS. Crash bars, a headlight guard, and an oil cooler guard seem like necessities before I start doing that (and following somebody on a SuperT down gravel roads).
Don't know in specific about the crash bars but I do know Twisted Thr is an A company.

Thing not to forget is a Big Foot for your bike AND the Potetiometer guard on the GS.

Can't embed fom iPad but ths s. good vid: (will embed later)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBc0_...e_gdata_player

GSAragazzi screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 06:53 PM
GSAragazzi is offline   Reply With Quote