Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #31
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
It was still there when I got it but I removed it fairly quickly .

I would love to use ADVers for the work but shipping and such would be a pain , I will be popping down to Acme my local engineers to see what they can do for me later today and to get some idea of the cost , it may have to go on the backburner for a while . A recent divorce has left me kinda strapped for cash right now .
Our member robtg is THE MAN for getting head work done right, and he is only a USPS Flat Rate box away...
Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #32
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 7,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bamboo View Post
Our member robtg is THE MAN for getting head work done right, and he is only a USPS Flat Rate box away...
There are other places that do good work too but man is it hard to find good valve machine work! A good part of the job is keeping up with the ever changing parts situation as well. There is a lot of crap parts out there and knowing which ones work and which ones don't work nearly as well is very important! Robtg just did my last valve job and that was on my OWN bike! I like the way he dual plugs too. Using a Sunnen valve guide hone is a must for me and robtg uses one.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #33
shearboy2004 OP
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,262
Well Guys I took everything down to Acme Engineering for John to have a look at , he laughed at the valve but said he has seen them like that before . He added that he never understood why BMW used the 30 degree setting and would use Kibblewhite Valves and guides and would cut them to 45 degrees .
Against the judgement of many here he also said he wouldn't bother with replacing seats unless he saw a problem while cutting them to 45 degrees .

So for Kibblewhite valves and guides , a complete clean up of the heads with media blasting and fitting of valves and guides he is talking under $300 for both heads .

Thoughts ?
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:06 PM   #34
supershaft
because I can

Can't beat the price. I don't care for those valves. I can't remember if it is their guides I like or I don't like. I like them if the are the same ones CC Products sells. Of course, they need to be sized with a Sunnen hone! The seats will be fine with a LOT of luck. I have seen what you are going to do NOT work a number of times over. Hopefully I am wrong THIS time!!! :)

supershaft screwed with this post 01-03-2013 at 03:21 PM
Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #35
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
Can't beat the price. I don't care for those valves. I can't remember if it is their guides I like or I don't like. I like them if the are the same ones CC Products sells. Of course, they need to be sized with a Sunnen hone! The seats will be fine with a LOT of luck. I have seen what you are going to do NOT work a number of times over. Hopefully I am wrong THIS time!!! :)
Seats are kind of a crap shoot. I've seen lots of replaced seats fail over the years.

I do my own guides and seat/face machining, but I only know one guy in Southern Ontario I'd trust to correctly remove and refit a valve seat.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #36
shearboy2004 OP
KIWIINUSA

Oddometer: 4,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Seats are kind of a crap shoot. I've seen lots of replaced seats fail over the years.

I do my own guides and seat/face machining, but I only know one guy in Southern Ontario I'd trust to correctly remove and refit a valve seat.

I have a Sherco 450 enduro engine that has poor Seats and I have enough faith in Acme that I will have them do the job where others say it shouldn't be done . Their work has always been very good . They have been around forever , Father to Son business .
07 Sherco 450 called BLING.
07 Sherco 510 called Holy Shit .
shearboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:36 PM   #37
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearboy2004 View Post
I have a Sherco 450 enduro engine that has poor Seats and I have enough faith in Acme that I will have them do the job where others say it shouldn't be done . Their work has always been very good . They have been around forever , Father to Son business .
Around forever can be a good thing. All the best, sounds like you're in good hands.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #38
supershaft
because I can

I have seen a lot of just installed seats drop. I have never seen a properly installed seat drop! Some people NEVER figure out that too tight is as bad as too loose. In fact, too tight is too lose since if the seat is moving material versus compressing it, there is no interference fit!

Around forever? I have found that that has absolutely no correlation with good work whatsoever. Only if it really was that simple! Some places have been tearing stuff up for a LONG time!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:14 PM   #39
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,573
6-7 thou was once mentioned as good interference iirc. Am I recalling correctly?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #40
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
6-7 thou was once mentioned as good interference iirc. Am I recalling correctly?
I would say .007 is the number to shoot for but some of that is how you measure that ID. ID's are always easier to fudge than OD's IMO.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #41
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
I have seen a lot of just installed seats drop.
I've seen lots of replaced valve seats fail after 5, 10k miles or more.

They don't always fail immediately if they've been incorrectly fitted.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:04 AM   #42
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
If the guides are anything like this '89 model had, it would be plain stupid to leave them in.

Mouse over the image to see the slop: http://largiader.com/articles/valves/
BTW, that's a terrific page, Anton.
Thanks for your efforts.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #43
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I've seen lots of replaced valve seats fail after 5, 10k miles or more.

They don't always fail immediately if they've been incorrectly fitted.

5k miles? I call that just installed.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:18 PM   #44
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,201
Quote:
I have never seen a properly installed seat drop!
Maybe you intended this statement as a joke, but I'd say that by definition it's impossible for a properly installed seat to drop. If it drops then it wasn't properly installed.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #45
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
Maybe you intended this statement as a joke, but I'd say that by definition it's impossible for a properly installed seat to drop. If it drops then it wasn't properly installed.
Exactly. All you have to do is install them right. I just asked around before I installed my first set. It's been a while now but I bet I have installed at least 50 sets of them. As far as I know I have never had one that I installed come loose. I do think the seat floor is a big part of the job and that a lot of people ignore it. I have pulled many a seat and you can SEE where the exhaust was getting under the seat. Of course, then you need to stock taller as well as bigger OD seats. Of course, that was then because I have never had my own machine shop. I have never even had my own TIG welder!