Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #1651
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
Does anyone know of a description of how the GPS works in the dakar? I understand roadbook navigation, but I'm curious how the GPS interacts.
Try it yourself:
http://www.ertf.com/uk/quizz3_gps.asp?Num=1&Rep=Q

Quote:
Also, when someone has to deviate from the road book to circumvent an obstacle, what's the strategy for keeping track of everything and getting back on course?
You try to figure mentally what you've done, and wait for the next landmark that you can relate with the roadbook to recalibrate your distance on the odometer. That's how I do it with variable results anyway

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #1652
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
What is the difference between a WPM and a WPS?

Nasser was complaining that he was within 3km of a WPS but the gps didn't turn on and give him a heading to head towards?

roadracer, Doyle has an excellent Dakar nav and scoring tutorial over here.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:18 PM   #1653
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Also, as I understand it, if you determine you are completely lost you have a code you can enter and it will point you toward the next waypoint. Doing this means you incur a time penalty and you can only do it a certain # of times through the rally.
For safety reasons, the Competitors have the possibility of unblocking the GPS by inputting a specific code:
WPM Code
This code, given by the PCO at the request of the Rider via the Iritrack, activates the usual functions of a GPS and makes all the next Way Points visible.
All use of this code will result in the following penalties:
 from the 1st to the 3rd utilisation: 6 hours penalties per utilisation for the first 10 in the general classification or A.S.O. Elite Riders, 3 hours for other Competitors.
 the 4th utilisation will result in Disqualification for all Competitors.
21P SPEED CONTROL ZONES - DEFINITIONS
ric678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #1654
Laffi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
From Pal Anders Ullevalseter

Here's what PAU says after todays special; (free translation by myself)

"Yet another fine day on my part - all in all a good start on the Dakar 2013.
But Barreda Bort (stage winner) drove past me in an amazing speed, and I thought there were little I could do about that today.
I drove alone all day, wich i normally do not enjoy. It is often best to ride with a few, to ensure you're on pace and on track regarding navigation, but I think it went well today choosing my own pace and route.
And the terrain is suiting me right now. The best thing I know is to drive in the sand, and there's plenty of it right now!"

May we see some climbing up the order tomorrow?

Here's the links for PAU's sites;

Facebook

Ullevalseter Homepage

Laffi

Go Pal Anders!!!!! - Norwegian, strong, fast and down to earth.

Manuel Lucchese!!!!! - For pure heart!
Laffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #1655
Uller
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
He has a never give up attitude which I like. Knowing him he will still try and win every stage going forward.

The problem is we still have 2 more days of dunes from hell to come.
It seems like almost everyone in this race has that "never give up attittude." Well, except one particular person from last year......

Didn't everyone, Peterhansel included, have some issues with those dunes last year. Something to the effect of; it's not if you get stuck but, how long you spend being stuck?
Uller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #1656
Enduro10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Yeah I miss Kemal as well, just saw Boundsy's tweet about the Malle Moto guys (him included) working under the smallest imaginable umbrella in the hot sun

TIme for a pic, Verhoevens' YZ gets an end of the day service:

Messy and heavy dashboard
Pipe in front of the oil filter ? Need to remove to change the filter ?
Front tire is still new - sand ?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #1657
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
For safety reasons, the Competitors have the possibility of unblocking the GPS by inputting a specific code:
WPM Code
This code, given by the PCO at the request of the Rider via the Iritrack, activates the usual functions of a GPS and makes all the next Way Points visible.
 from the 1st to the 3rd utilisation: 6 hours penalties per utilisation for the first 10 in the general classification or A.S.O. Elite Riders, 3 hours for other Competitors.
Thanks, was thinking it was something like this. Fairly heafty penalty but for a privateer who is in it to finish it I can imagine could be worthwhile when things go bad and you are lost.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #1658
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
http://www.dakar.com/dakar/2013/docs...r-2013-VUS.pdf

Bike-Quad Rule Book explains alot
ric678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #1659
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,957
Quote:
Does anyone know of a description of how the GPS works in the dakar? I understand roadbook navigation, but I'm curious how the GPS interacts.

Also, when someone has to deviate from the road book to circumvent an obstacle, what's the strategy for keeping track of everything and getting back on course?
Have a look at the regulations, and it explains how the GPS opens up within 800m of a WP with an arrow to bring you into to it. If you get within (I think) 90m of the WP, it blanks out again, and only shows you your heading and gps speed.

So when you get to a huge dune for example, where you have to deviate you need to get back to a point that you think is close enough on the other side, and reset your ICO to the approximate mileage you should be on. Preferrably you want to set it to the exact mileage given at some known point, but in a dune field there are no refernces, so you have to estimate the additional mileage you have ridden and subtract that form your total ICo when you get to where you want to be.

As soon as you go past a known WP like a junction marked in the roadbook, you can re calibrate your ICO correctly again to the exact RB distance and go on from there. Until then you will likely be following tracks and taking big risks because a hazard maybe nearer or further off than you think.

Make any sense?
Bluebull2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #1660
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
a few more webventure photos filtering in from yesterday's stage, posted over in the Dakar 2013 Media Thread.

#41 - FELIPE PROHENS (CHL)

#20 - PAULO GONALVES (PRT)

#300 - NASSER AL-ATTIYAH (QAT) / LUCAS CRUZ (ESP)

check the Dakar 2013 Media Thread or webventure.com.br for more.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #1661
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Freedom Rally Racing
Sunday Jan 6th: Unofficial updates. Today is a challenging day. Marco and Mateo have made it safely in. Kevin crashed. Luis having mechanical problems. More details to come. --Sandi Spears

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #1662
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffi View Post
Here's the links for PAU's sites;

Facebook

Ullevalseter Homepage

Laffi
Wow! Here's how PAU stays in shape for Dakar! (from his homepage). PAU Rocks!

cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #1663
misc
dakar tracker

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
Got it Flood, thanks! Great explanation on the VLC player and great stream list from Myway. Feels good to be getting sorted already on Stage 2. Now if I can just convince the wife to let me be a deadbeat Dad for the next few weeks...

Quick question - Mischa last year I think we talked about possibly integrating some pre-defined filters, such as ADV filter, Malle Moto Filter, Dirt Girls filter.... etc. Any thought to that?

Justin

Edit -

Thanks a bunch also to Neduro for Post #2, great way to kick it off! And missing Kemal as well :(
Yes and I already asked if somebody knew what filters and what driver numbers should be matched ;-) Could you let me know what filters you like? Maybe with driver numbers? Then I will add the filters and will find a nice way to select them. If you have the lists could you send them in a PM? Then I will find them too if i'm 50 pages behind for some reason ;-)
misc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #1664
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
WPM Code

Okay Ill take the penalty for my incorrect info, its only on the 4th usage that you get DQ'D. Sorri.

Thansk for pointing it out Ric.
Bluebull2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #1665
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Makes sense, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Have a look at the regulations, and it explains how the GPS opens up within 800m of a WP with an arrow to bring you into to it. If you get within (I think) 90m of the WP, it blanks out again, and only shows you your heading and gps speed.

So when you get to a huge dune for example, where you have to deviate you need to get back to a point that you think is close enough on the other side, and reset your ICO to the approximate mileage you should be on. Preferrably you want to set it to the exact mileage given at some known point, but in a dune field there are no refernces, so you have to estimate the additional mileage you have ridden and subtract that form your total ICo when you get to where you want to be.

As soon as you go past a known WP like a junction marked in the roadbook, you can re calibrate your ICO correctly again to the exact RB distance and go on from there. Until then you will likely be following tracks and taking big risks because a hazard maybe nearer or further off than you think.

Make any sense?
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote