Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #17566
SteveDennehy
Steve

Oddometer: 167
Mr Etienne Lavigne

Dear Sir
I appreciate that your are busy right now, hobnobbing with the winners of the various categories of your race. However, the dude that really matters is somewhere around WP4, and the whole of Team F5 NEED to know where he is, what the problem is, and when he will be home.
Please get in your helicopter and go and have a look, and let us know. And if he needs a push, you get out and push. He deserves it!

Respectfully yours
SteveDennehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #17567
Cuttle
me? what?

Oddometer: 10,396
push Luis push!
Old 01-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #17568
yardracer
stubborn cow

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDennehy View Post
Mr Etienne Lavigne

Dear Sir
I appreciate that your are busy right now, hobnobbing with the winners of the various categories of your race. However, the dude that really matters is somewhere around WP4, and the whole of Team F5 NEED to know where he is, what the problem is, and when he will be home.
Please get in your helicopter and go and have a look, and let us know. And if he needs a push, you get out and push. He deserves it!

Respectfully yours
Old 01-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #17569
yardracer
stubborn cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttle View Post
push luis push!
love it!!!
Old 01-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #17570
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Mr Etienne Lavigne

Dear Sir

Respectfully yours
What he said!

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #17571
boundrybasher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Mr Etienne Lavigne

Dear Sir

Respectfully yours
LOL
Old 01-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #17572
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
PUSH!

Waiting for you at the finish!
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #17573
Lobster Grrl
Ground feeder

Oddometer: 2,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedennehy View Post
mr etienne lavigne

dear sir
i appreciate that your are busy right now, hobnobbing with the winners of the various categories of your race. However, the dude that really matters is somewhere around wp4, and the whole of team f5 need to know where he is, what the problem is, and when he will be home.

Respectfully yours
+1
Lobster Grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #17574
silentwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
LUIS!

News blackout still ..?
silentwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #17575
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentwolf View Post
PUSH!

Waiting for you at the finish!

Old 01-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #17576
pebble35
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,417
From Pyn's FB page

www.bikersjersey.com for all your KTM parts
A 2,400 KM ride around Egypt by Scooter - ride report here
pebble35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #17577
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,205
This is agonizing!
Old 01-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #17578
practicalshooter
Posteriophobiac

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Invader View Post
What he said!

Old 01-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #17579
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente
So in my capacity as factory team strategist, all I have to do in future is enter a factory team of - say - SIX riders... Two Aliens one fast assist waterboy and three (lets call them drones) who have STRICT FUCKING INSTRUCTIONS TO RIDE AT TRAILRIDE PACE (minimum required to avoid houring out on the sweeper truck... but get the pecious "donor engines" to the bivouac each night) and are there more or less in the capacity to transport donor powerplant components from bivouac to bivouac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I volunteer to be a "drone"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
I'm in for Drone status too!!! That is about how fast I would be riding the Dakar anyway!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
seconded, as thats abput all i could do anyway

I realise that all three were "tongue in cheek" replies to my - flawed - drone/support rider analogy (to provide back up motors "on piste" for factory stars)... but.

Let's just give this scenario some attention for a moment; (while waiing for Luis to get in, I have to do something... I mean, I'm hopeless at stacking clapping smilies... )

The factory team pre-requisites for a "drone rider" would not be a back of the field rider (with humble respexcts to stagehand, brimstone and nordie boy)... but rather a front runner (or near front) "elite" rider given the corporate role of just riding at minimum sustainable pace.

Why? well the riders (battling) just to survive at the rear of the field are subjecting their bikes to as much (or more) punishment, as an elite rider at front of the pack... take a look at the bikes in th top thirty... as opposed to the bikes in the bottom thirty... by day 10 the ones up front look in fair to excellent shape... the bottom of the pile...? Not so much. And it's not just the fact that factory bikes have mechanics to fettle and polish them every night. How many times do you think that Faria or Pedrero's bike hit the deck... as opposed to rider XYZ back in pos.199...?

The role of watercarrier or drone on a factory team is a very disciplined one... not all riders are capable... and not all capable riders are able (to put ambitions/egos aside) in order to do the role justice.

So my intention of this post (not to crush the aspirations of stagehand, Brimstone and Nordie boy ) but rather to celebrate and highlight the efforts of one Ruben Faria #11.

He IS the consumate company man/factory rider... in the mould of champons like Thierry Magnaldi, Gilles Picard, Giovanni Sala before him... Ruebens take his role of assistance rider to Cyril despres with the utmost proffessionalism and humilty. In a parallel universe, where number 11 and number 1 were reversed, it is not unlikely that the name R.Faria would stand in the Dakar record book with one... possibly two MOTO titles beside it. Indeed this year... but for two obligated "stops" and team riding instructions - at least chronometrically - there is the case to be made that he would (could) have been highest up on the podium tomorrow?

In previous editions he has shown glimpses of speed when given off the leash (I still get a woody when I think of the helmet cam footage of him through Fiambala dunes a couple years back... first time out on the 450RR)... but he has always been a "company man". Some riders will always be relegated to this role, and to accept that, and still ride to the best of ones ability is something few of us can possibly understand or appreciate. Much like the professional tour rider in the big pro teams of the cycling world; you do your job in the peloton - often with a great deal of annonymity - and occassionally get to shine... but for the most part you job is to help the star of your team shine.

Ruben Faria this moment is yours to shine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #17580
yardracer
stubborn cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfey View Post
This is agonizing!

I'm with you garfey....