Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 10:32 PM   #17881
Yamezz
Suffers from MBS

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
I imagine SBS would have been great to watch this year with so many Aussies doing so well.
No actually. We just get the standard "26 Minutes of Dakar" show, narrated by Ben C. Nothing Oz specific at all. Really disappointing given how many Aussies took part this year.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #17882
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,963
Heres my quick theory on Hondas gas problem... Honda did not test enough in the dunes nor at such a frantic race pace as the dakar before the accidents out in ridgecrest. I dont think they tested at all out at Dumont or Glamis.... Anyway they found the equation a friend and I came up with. we simply call it the Hawthorne effect. Just before we raced the North Nevada rally with our LC4s with 18 ltr tanks we were getting an easy 200-220 miles of range at a good race pace. But once we reached Hawthorne and the super sandy roads we didnt expect the crazy amount of rear wheel spin even. Our mileage dropped to about 150 and we ran out of gas on the stage before the mid day service .. both of us were lucky enough to be just up hill from a check point that had a guy with some gas... Anyway they got caught out ... never pass gas and a motorcycle never has enough of it unless its on fire..

BTW... tally keepers some of us finished the F5 rally with under 100 posts but they were strong ones !
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #17883
Yamezz
Suffers from MBS

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Indeed this year... but for two obligated "stops" and team riding instructions - at least chronometrically - there is the case to be made that he would (could) have been highest up on the podium tomorrow.

Ruben Faria this moment is yours to shine...

If it is indeed the case, that Ruben's deficit to Cyril is less than the time he spent waiting for Cyril, he therefore would have won, and in my opinion deserves to win. If I was in Cyril's shoes I would not feel my 'win' was deserved. Something sits a little uneasy with me - if Cyril had won through Ruben's help, but Ruben had finished down the order, I'd be OK with that; but having Ruben effectively give up his win for Cyril I don't think is very sporting at all. Team orders or not, I think in that situation I may have pulled over just before the ASS and given Ruben back his minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
I still get a woody when I think of the helmet cam footage of him through Fiambala dunes a couple years back... first time out on the 450RR
Anyone got a link to this footage?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #17884
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
dakar.com stage 14

Dakar.com photos from stage 14, all cross-posted over in the Dakar 2013 Media thread.

#5 - JOAN BARREDA BORT (ESP)

#315 - ROBBY GORDON (USA) / KELLON WALCH (USA)

#350 - WILLIAM ALCARAZ (FRA)

#250 - MARCOS PATRONELLI (ARG)

#1 - CYRIL DESPRES (FRA)

#5 - JOAN BARREDA BORT (ESP)
#20 - PAULO GONÇALVES (PRT)
#39 - MATT FISH (AUS)

#7 - FRANCISCO LOPEZ (CHL)
#1 - CYRIL DESPRES (FRA)

#36 - LAIA SANZ (ESP)

all cross-posted over in the Dakar 2013 Media thread.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #17885
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
dakar.com hidden candids stage 14

Dakar.com has a bunch of photos for each stage that they're not showing in the main "photos" area... slightly hidden. all cross-posted over in the Dakar 2013 Media thread.

#9 - OLIVIER PAIN (FRA)

#1 - CYRIL DESPRES (FRA)

#7 - FRANCISCO LOPEZ (CHL)

#367 - SEBASTIÁN HALPERN (ARG) / EDUARDO PULENTA (ARG)
Old 01-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #17886
El Ponkin
Bloodrunner

Oddometer: 1,755
Thanks for making my rehab the best ever, trouble is back to work Monday and I am knackered and still can't sit down.
Ah well C'est Dakar

http://www.jet-metal.com
El Ponkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:48 AM   #17887
flatboarder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobster Grrl View Post
Maybe next year Luis will ride a 50cc Ruckus

Would not be the first one at the Dakar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpMbd41hq3g#t=01m53s
(01:53)

Sorry if this had already been posted, did not fully catch up.
flatboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:58 AM   #17888
Balkan Boy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
This Doyle fella starts the bestest threads.

Balkan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:04 AM   #17889
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
BTW... tally keepers some of us finished the F5 rally with under 100 posts but they were strong ones !
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen View Post
It's one of those EDIT (virtual) nuts and uncles deals.
Yep... the F5 Dakar... it's got it all allright...

"There is a difference between constructive criticism and plain rudeness."

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen

"It's like deja vu all over again."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:49 AM   #17890
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Manuel "staff" FB:

Manuel Lucchese
We crossed mountains, deserts, suffered heat and then cold,
SMS da Manuel:

"We raced 14 days through 3 countries on almost 9.000km. We experienced every type of emotion from happiness to desperation, we had our good and bad moments but we made it guys... WE and this includes all of you that supported me and stood next to me from every part of the world through the toughest event on earth.... Dakar accomplished!!!!! I am officially one of the youngest italian riders in the history of Dakar to get at 24 years old to the finish!!

Today i had problems with the bike and i have to thank really a lot the rider Chavo Salvatierra nr.50 who pulled me with a rope to the finish line!!!! A Big thank to Mauro and Ezio for giving me a bike that managed to get me here racing All the Race with the same pistón and engine!! The problem of today is not the engine but just something with the fuel pump because i crashed early this morning. Thanks also to All of you!!! I want to dedicate this achievement to my grandparents who were praying every night for me!!"

Props to both Manuel & Chavo

Brodovitch screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 02:38 AM
Brodovitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:01 AM   #17891
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Manuel "staff" FB:

Manuel Lucchese
We crossed mountains, deserts, suffered heat and then cold,
SMS da Manuel:

"We raced 14 days through 3 countries on almost 9.000km. We experienced every type of emotion from happiness to desperation, we had our good and bad moments but we made it guys... WE and this includes all of you that supported me and stood next to me from every part of the world through the toughest event on earth.... Dakar accomplished!!!!! I am officially one of the youngest italian riders in the history of Dakar to get at 24 years old to the finish!!

Today i had problems with the bike and i have to thank really a lot the rider Chavo Salvatierra nr.50 who pulled me with a rope to the finish line!!!! A Big thank to Mauro and Ezio for giving me a bike that managed to get me here racing All the Race with the same pistón and engine!! The problem of today is not the engine but just something with the fuel pump because i crashed early this morning. Thanks also to All of you!!! I want to dedicate this achievement to my grandparents who were praying every night for me!!"

Props to both Manuel & Chavo

Way to go - are you sure it was a rope Chavo used and not a long shoestring
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #17892
Got2Moto
Got2MotoGraphics

Oddometer: 492
Thanks Everyone! F5 Team rocks!
Old 01-20-2013, 02:18 AM   #17893
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Ivan Jakes, 4th overall, best ever result of a rider from the tiny nation of Slovakia, which has a population less than New York City

"Slovak motorcycle rider Ivan Jakes KTM to achieve life success, when the 35th year's prestigious race Dakar Rally took fourth place overall.

Racer from the Birch Bradlom so take care of a new historical maximum native from beneath the Tatra Mountains to the traditional desert adventure, though improved by one place last year's fifth place Stefan Svitko.

"I'm very happy. These for my success is a great bunch, Jaroslav Berna mechanic and masseur Marian loop started working everything around me. Cared for me perfectly, even if I have to commend the mechanic I do about a lot of work, because the bike worked flawlessly, " Ivan Jakes told TASR.

For it was a sort of sixth start on the toughest endurance rally in the world, and the second time it finished, the finish came in 2009 to 43 place.

Experienced Slovak competitor appearing on his 2013 Dakar Rally positively surprised. Best to lead in the 8th stage, which finished in third place. A day later, the ninth stage, moved into fourth place and ongoing, this position has not let go of hands. Until the last moment even attacking third place Chilean Francisco Lopez.

Above rider Ress Adventure Team after their fantastic result at the finish number to receive congratulations, not only from their friends, but also competitors.

"I got 150 text messages from family and friends and still further added," Jakes told.

"Almost all of the top ten riders congratulated me. I'm happy that I have not lost the tip and that I achieve a result that no one expected. I'm Already among them, have been taken, register. Already looking forward to another year of the Rally Dakar, although details addressed. now I have to rest well at first, not so much physically as mentally, for the last three days, I was very nervous about the pressure that I keep at least fourth place. Those two were in front of me with my bike unassailable " admitted at the end.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:17 AM   #17894
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,195
It's over?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:20 AM   #17895
drgunther
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
It's over?
There's basically only the ceremonial parade and podium left. Haven't checked myself yet, but there was talk yesterday that Eurosport would be broadcasting something tonight.
drgunther is offline   Reply With Quote