Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 AM   #4711
ararat
Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer: 1,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
This is what blows my mind about both Dorna and ASO. Viral youtube videos do nothing but feed the fans and enhance their brands, yet they yank them down at the first instance.
Money trail, follow it and you shall see why.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 AM   #4712
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
@chase_the_race

Anyone heard from Jago and his family twitter@Chase_The_Race?
He has Chavo's (Rider 50) family on board with him but nothing from them for a few days!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #4713
Nitro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Hi Guys
Im coming out of lurker mode
Ive followed evry page but havent added much, (been busy at work and my daughter needed a op yeaterday)

I hope the ASO will give my time back for that excuse.

I get a group email from INGO Waldshimdts wife.
Sorry i havent shared yet, but here goes.

From stage 4

Ok.. now that i sent the letter out for the night.. the man calls home.:) just after midnight

All good-except his trip metre broke...cable snapped. It is a device that counts your km’s as you ride.. so you know on your road book where you are. (they indicate things on the RB by km reading)

And the usual... MONKEY BUTT has shown its ugly head.. he is – as usual in agony.. (said – he can’t wait to just get out of his pants hee hee)

His service crew arrived within minutes of Ingo arriving at the biviac..which is a “schlep” the whole set up needs to be...well “set up” . its a lot nicer to arrive and it’s all up and ready and waiting.
Unfortunately the route that the service crews had to take to get to the biviac was a long and twisty one. ( guess they too-must feel like they in a race every day)
Just shows.. it’s such a team effort... the backup crew race to get set up and sorted for the riders..they have to then service the bikes... etc etc..then the next day..pack it alllllllllll up again and hit the road to the next one. Heard from Jan’s wife.. Jax.. that there is a great team spirit amongst the Orange service team. Which sounds like the perfect recipe for two great finish’s

Ingo says the fesh fesh in the beginning of the stage was lank scary. He couldn’t see anything...could only hear bikes at a stage.
He got to a ravine.. and had to stop and stand still.. to listen where bikes were... when he suddenly heard a bike coming from behind.. well – he put foot ( into blinding dust) and lucky for him..it was the right route he took.

Well thats all folks

See you all tomorrow

lisa
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #4714
drgunther
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
According to @dakarofficial Nasser Al-Attiyah is on his way by now!
drgunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:25 AM   #4715
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Nooo - I prefer to be inside the sports stadium watching, not locked outside listenting to the noise
If I had easy access to a map plotting all participants positions live, I would use it all the time. It would be a great addition to the coverage.

We have had a lot of talk about how Dakar has changed, clean driver's suits, air conditioned motorhomes, it woulld be interesting to see how this component could change the race? Doyle had some comments earlier about people all over the stage pointing out obstacles knowing riders were approaching. It would be different.

I do agree the inside is better than looking in from the outside.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #4716
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,339
Someone catch the bird in the vid, who else barreda.

Myway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 AM   #4717
Nitro
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
oops, sorry read this one first.

My BAD

Howdy everyone.

Well the long day ,started bright and early for Ingo... getting the “ready ........steady ... GO” @ about 06h30

After putting new tyres on the bike last night , he was ready for the looong haul in the dunes.

19 motor bikes are already, out of the race as of the start of this morning.. so only 163 bikes started. Ingo starting in 71th position.

I promised myself NOT to become attached to the tracking this time around ( I know.. I bet you all did heh).. so I saw once he was off... then went to go hang up washing etc.-a bit later got a call from a friend..and his words were.. “have you seen the site?... I dunno if I should laugh or cry” ,,,so I dashed off –to see Ingo was registered as coming through WP1 in second place...well I couldn’t speak for a few seconds... and unfortunately that is how long the thrill lasted as well... minutes later alllll the other names showed up..and Ingo was showing at 54th through there. ( it was good whilst it lasted....i have to admit)

Some bad news again on the car side...is Duncan Vos with co driver Robert Howie –both, from South Africa (#312) are out of the rally..
They wrote that their, chassis of their vehicle was too badly damaged to carry on. L

Its 22h30 and still no call from Ingo..mmmmm I know he is in.. so can only guess he can’t get through to me. I wonder what the hell ,wife’s did before the tracking system was bought into this.. couldn’t have been nice-not knowing anything.
What i can tell you though...is that he finished today’s stage in 58th position... bringing his overall position up to 56th J J J J

After watching tonight’s coverage- and seeing people injured and crashing.... brings back the reality of this rally... it’s really is a fight –of blood sweat and tears to finish it and any small mistake could cost you dearly.

Tomorrows Stage (5) starts a bit later for the lads... opps and 2 ladies... @ 08h30 –taking them from Arequipa to the next biviac in Arica. All in all 410 km, of which 136km is the connection and 274km of that is the special (race stage)

On skater chick Zoe’s side...she was uber proud of her scabs and scrapes(and now a swollen gonna be blue eye) this morning... and get this.. when I took her to a friend to go play... guess what she had tucked under her arm.... her freaking skate board. I eventually convinced her that her fluffy toy was a way better (uhm safer) option.

I would just like to add here...a big thank you to everyone who is sending sms’s... mails... face booking and calling... wishing him luck still and expressing how happy/proud you all are on how he is doing. It really means a lot ( he reads it all when he gets back- i keep a journal kind of thing) and it makes me realise that all the time he took in 2012...to look for sponsors.. to get prepped and ready for this race..the hours in front of the computer...in the garage..training..etc - REALLY IS worth it.

On that note... i will end off... feeling a bit odd after not hearing from him...and head for la la land

#101 T U + F X (try figure that one out)

Proudly Namibian
Lisa and Zoe
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #4718
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,003
*yawns*

G'Mornin' Team
Old 01-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #4719
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 546
I will be in the dust, heading to work.

You guys and gals have fun!!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:28 AM   #4720
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
... but what (how) can you create something (else) - for the everyday sportsmen and amateurs - where the original values are still the prime motivation...?

Maybe the grass roots events are the way to go for the "enthusiasts" out there... while DAKAR and the FIM CCR can go the F1 route and cater to the factories and well financed elite?
Pretty much all sports have evolved in this manner. It's simple growing pains but, eventually creates more opportunity for the beginner and weekend warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
There's no doubt in my mind that RG's "infraction" last year was a strategically played card.
It worked beautifully from their standpoint....they definitely got in his head and affected his mindset.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #4721
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Ok, who has the starters gun?? it was here last nite....damm sand everywhere can't find nothing....
ric678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #4722
690RR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myway View Post
Someone catch the bird in the vid, who else barreda.

:) This happends quite often out there for some strange reason. We pulled out 4 of them last year from Ullevålseter's radiator. Fly like a bird .... :)
690RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #4723
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Proudly Namibian
Lisa and Zoe
Let her know that is she really wants to be current, to pop up here. We can keep her up on how he's doing.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #4724
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post

It worked beautifully from their standpoint....they definitely got in his head and affected his mindset.
you could almost say it's still having an affect on him this year.....feels like he's got something to prove, trying too hard...
Old 01-09-2013, 05:32 AM   #4725
orlando_orange
deslyxic tepyr

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Nooo - I prefer to be inside the sports stadium watching, not locked outside listenting to the noise
well said!