Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #6421
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
sainz is out, per radio maray quoting some tweet source (?)
Looking at the timing, he is overdue by more than 20' at their next wp.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #6422
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
The rankings are beginning to normalise now...to something we would have expected at the start of the rally minus coma of course.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #6423
Olmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
Non! Vous devriez avoir dit, "Je le pourrai"!
Nearly good french, you could almost attend to the job...
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #6424
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
DSQ for performance enhancing drug use!
Come on, Drif. Look at the poor sap -- clearly not performance enhancing : razor

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #6425
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
DSQ for performance enhancing drug use!
This is not the Tour de France brother
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #6426
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Come on, Drif. Look at the poor sap -- clearly not performance enhancing : razor

Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #6427
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,021
Quote:

Didn't say if he was using them right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
This is not the Tour de France brother
And which organization runs the TdF?

DSQ.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:33 AM   #6428
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Excellent past conditional!

Quote:
Wildman!
Hey, Nate. Just back from riding in Death Valley. You guys have some great riding out there.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #6429
tserts
Praise San Irritrack

Oddometer: 2,560
Esquerre is on fire as well!
Peloponnese Peninsula on two Africa Twins
9 countries in 15 days - Tserts.eu
tserts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #6430
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Ohhh Faria just squirted in between Lopez and Despres...
Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #6431
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
The rankings are beginning to normalise now...to something we would have expected at the start of the rally minus coma of course.
I think it will be telling whether Cyril drag races Lopez in the final km's. If the gap is more than 4', advantage Chaleco. If it's substantially less than 4', we'll know that Cyril put the hammer down.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #6432
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmer View Post
Nearly good french, you could almost attend to the job...
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #6433
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildman View Post

Hey, Nate. Just back from riding in Death Valley. You guys have some great riding out there.
Did you do some of Scotts routes?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #6434
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,701
Hard to know how to kick a fieldgoal... if the keep moving the posts the night before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
One more way to ensure a privateer doesn't get to outshine the sponsored pro's

To be competitive in this "new Dakar" a rider needs, amongst other things, 2 support vehicles (one for bivy and one to shoot ahead to allowable CP's, ghost cars (one to be at beginning and one at end of each SS), an RV with air conditioning to sleep in and provide a humane bathroom experience, a team manager that is competent to interpret the every changing rules so they can be taken advantage of, etc, etc, etc

My only issue with all of this is the $$$ required now to be competitive. I still applaud the fact the everyday man can race next to the hero's but imho they can no longer be competitive. So good but also not to so good.

^^^ All fair and valid points regards the gap widening between the pro's and the also(ran)s... but to be fair, that inequity has always existed... well since the late 80's in any case...

But then there is this...

Another "bummer" of this is that it is changing the race from what it once was to what it is becoming. I, like many others here, don't like the change as I am clinging to an ideal of what the Dakar was. I keep having to remind myself to accept the change as the "new Dakar" is as awesome as the "old Dakar", its just different

I watched some videos the other day of Dakar's from the old days. People riding 500 lb bikes, scooters, etc. The terrain they were riding on was NOTHING like what we see today. Hearing people like Pyndon saying a top of the line, modern, purpose built 450rr can barely make it up some of the hills puts a bit of perspective of the "new terrain". I don't get the impression that folks racing felt they were cheated due to lack of distance yesterday

People are complaining that the distances are short, yet I still see riders coming in at all hours of the night. The challenge seems very real, just different. Again, accepting change is difficult.

I am continually reminding myself not to be a stick in the mud and to accept the evolution of the Dakar. Can you imagine if the course was still doable by a scooter or a 500 lb bike...I don't think we would all be impressed by the daily videos

An analogy, I used to be a pretty decent snowboarder. The terrain we rode and the tricks we did when we jumped are now done by 5 year olds. The pros have become gymnists doing flips and twists that are mind boggling. How freaking lame would it be to watch people on tv doing nothing but old school tricks on old school equipment Same goes for rally I think.
I'm all for change and keeping up with the times also... hey if the right tool for the job and market is a two week series of point to point baja sprints, with trophy trucks in the auto class, and lighter 450cc cross country bikes with 20 liter quick fill capacity, no roadbooks - replaced by a better and safer GPS based lowrance type/electronic roadbook to follow and do away with the coloured pens and toilet paper... hey, if that's what the sponsors and racers and and spectators want... then markets forces say; "give it to them"...

But what I get most pissed about is not evolution or changes... but the (sudden) haphazard way that they are suddenly just implemented... As flood said (I think it was) in the preliminaries a few days back , an ASO bulletin can be put up on the bivouac noticeboard with no more than 15 minutes prior notice, and virtually make the rulebook (and a teams strategy based on those rules) obselete, with the stroke of a pen and a thumbtack in an A4 sheet of paper...

It's NOT the changes that I am so much against persé (though i do have an opinion that softening the service regulations, and shortening/intensifying the stages will push the speed envelope up) - and it has; which ironically by way of interest - were two of the three major criteria for the ASO pushing the 450cc barrow in the first place...1. make the event safer by reducing speed and 2. weight of the bikes as well as to create a wider choice of competitive machines from range manufacturers on 3. parity with one another.

But it is the way in which the changes are foisted on the competitors... almost last minute... like they are making it up as they are GOING ALONG?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post
OK, twitter is posting some pics off full team fricken service at the start of the neutralization. It looks like a bivouac. Since when did that become permitted? On the marathon liaison is bad enough, but now, within the special? This is killing the rally.

Edit** From ‏@LarsTH
@RallyRaidReview Yesterday in the briefing the ASO told that is was allowed service in neutralization zone?
Let's say that you were Mr Yamazaki,,, and you had invested millions, designing and developing an all new from the ground up 450 cc rally engine... not a revamped version of yor existing production mx powerplant, but a from the blue prints up, built for the application, larger oil capacipty, bigger cooling system, longer service interval, lesser stressed state of tune 450cc rally engine and you had based your tactics on the fact that you thgink you can go the whole 14 days one one motor,,, based on the servicing regulations as they are written, wouldnät YOU be pissed 8at a corporate level) when suddenly the rules are cahnged the evening before, that allow the competition (on their 1, 2 liter oill acapacity mx based machines) to repeatedly service and fettle the high stress/maintenance intensive competition style engines?

I have no doubt that a push to have more of this type access/assistance/service comes from the factory teams (autos and bikes)... but it is headed the way of desert F1... not desert marathon rallying. Now that may be the way to go... but give teams the chance to be informed and work within the new framework...

That was my need to express myself ted...
Old 01-10-2013, 09:36 AM   #6435
miniyo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Wp9 hooot
miniyo is offline   Reply With Quote