Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #7111
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle View Post

This thread is so much fun each year and I am honored to have somewhat fallen into the old guard of starting it and it's such a great feeling to see how everyone has adopted into the process and have run with it. Just looking at the stats of how the thread grows each year over year is stunning. We are doing in a day what we did for the entire two weeks back in 2005 and 2006.

After all of that, I'll never forget Packmule calling me up on the first day of the 2008 rally as I was walking to my car for work and breaking the news that the whole thing was cancelled. Gutted.
I called you as soon as Robb called me. Here are those calls:

That was going to be THE YEAR; for Jonah, for RallyRAIDio, for this ADV coverage thing really taking off. :sigh

You are doing a marvelous job with RallyRaidReview, Doyle. Keep it going.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #7112
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
I was looking through Dakar 2013 Withdrawals and noticed on the Cars list there were a number of "explusions" and none in any of the other classes, Moto, Quad or Truck.

Any idea what any of the Cars that were expelled from the race did to get booted?

Miss too many WP's maybe?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #7113
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
Smug-Mug is the choice of many here , simply because it works well
and Baldy , ADV Site owner , owns it also
Ric, have a look at smugmug, consider it a donation to the greater cause.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #7114
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
I was looking through Dakar 2013 Withdrawals and noticed on the Cars list there were a number of "explusions" and none in any of the other classes, Moto, Quad or Truck.

Any idea what any of the Cars that were expelled from the race did to get booted?
No idea.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #7115
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

[QUOTE=ric678;20450543]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post
#44 Bianchi Prata, Huskvarna

--
Pedro Bianchi Prata, on stage yesterday, found several problems in finishing their race due to a technical fault on the bike. However, in today's stage, the 6th of this Dakar Rally 2013, part at position 151 with a penalty of 5h. Right now is the 1st sector in 46th place.

Friends :) I'm still in the race!! I am awake for 36 hours :) but happy because manage to solve everything!!
Today I went fast and pass a lot of folks! tomorrow we are in argentina :) there's still a lot of Dakar!! Thanks for your support!

Huh?? Yeah Dakar site and Mischa site both show him finishing stage but I can't find him either on overall rankings, Not on withdrawl list either...dunno
So long as he is off the withdrawals list then he is still okay, he has a chance, albeit a small one.

I see the Mongolian Boldbaatar Damdinkhorloo looks like he might be out this stage as well
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #7116
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 546
Long day today at work. I was not worried about keeping up with the firehose as I knew Preseason Thunder was taking place in Daytona. Anyone have the torrent files, IPad links for me? I want to see all the new driver uniforms.

The hose was flowing today.. I managed to get caught up finally. Looks like the leaders hung pretty close for the most part today. Pyndon sounded tired on his call. I was pleased to hear he got back in tune with his bike during the second special.

I love the pic if Manuel with his ADV care package.

The sad news this morning from the accident was on my mind today at work. I really feel for the families and friends of those lost in the accident.

Please, yes I would like F5 coffee mug when available.

Ooooo....... the FESH FESH eruption picture kicks major ass!

EKIN screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 07:51 PM
EKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #7117
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,337
Quote:
GO MANUEL!!!
Had to go to bed, but up now, bloody weekend so my turn to walk the dog soon, the wife said he can use the Wii for an hour - go Munuel and carry on the good work with the moose hunting
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #7118
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKIN View Post
Long day today at work. I was not worried about keeping up with the firehose as I knew Preseason Thunder was taking place in Daytona. Anyone have the torrent files, IPad links for me? I want to see all the new driver uniforms.

The hose was flowing today.. I managed to get caught up finally. Looks like the leaders hung pretty close for the most part today. Pyndon sounded tired on his call. I was pleased to hear he got back in tune with his bike during the second special.

I love the pic if MANUEL with his ADV care package.

The sad news this morning from the accident was on my mind today at work. I really feel for the families and friends of those lost in the accident.

Please, yes I would like F5 coffee mug when available.

Ooooo....... the FESH FESH eruption picture kicks major ass!

Fixed

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #7119
PackMule
love what you do

Tomorrow's schedule

Bikes leave the bivouac at 0430 race time (GMT-3), stage to start at 10:10 Race time, that's 8:10 EST.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #7120
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
Def bigger.
I think there is a copyright issue with the logo. I think that may be the stuffing point for Cafepress to do this type of work. We know how fast they take down Youtubes Hmm...
Old 01-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #7121
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule View Post
I called you as soon as Robb called me. Here are those calls:

That was going to be THE YEAR; for Jonah, for RallyRAIDio, for this ADV coverage thing really taking off. :sigh

You are doing a marvelous job with RallyRaidReview, Doyle. Keep it going.
Yeah your articles are always good reads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
Well things came to a screeching halt in here!! Everyone must be preparing road books for tomorrows start of the marathon stage...which really is not a true marathon...ok, so you have to sleep in the dirt somewhere I see after the ASS they have a short transit to there special bivvy..wonder if the assistance route follows that same track? If so I guess we will see more side of the road servicing tomorrow...
I was forced to watch a movie with the missus - that put a quick end to things for a couple of hours. Fortunately I read fast. Then there is the plotting of tomrrows route. They have be crafty but I have found the route. All will be revealed soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
First year in f5land and is it just me or is anyone else going into Dakar overload/meltdown
After 3 hours sleep I was back in here this morning to catch up and now I'm about stuffed.
Got to get some more sleep or I won't make the rest day
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaMoto View Post
First year here too... It's certainly a lot to parse!!
And you thought the Dakar was easy. Just following it is hard

But you love it - I am sure
Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #7122
EKIN
Just Do It

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Fixed
Thank you, major penalty for that one.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #7123
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I think there is a copyright issue with the logo. I think that may be the stuffing point for Cafepress to do this type of work. We know how fast they take down Youtubes Hmm...
Hrm. I do like that classic design.

We could always go with some art from RhodeHazard.

Pyndon '13
Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #7124
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSpearsX View Post
From Dave (RMS)

This morning I was lucky enough to be the deliver messenger for the ADV rider contributions to Manuel Luchese. Thats a lot of clams!
Unkinbelievable
too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #7125
PackMule
love what you do

Si Pavey updates

Emphasis added.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard ORS View Post
Stage Four – Nazca to Arequipa – 717 Km

Bad like strikes again for Team Delta Kunststoffe Husqvarna UK, but Simon puts in a strong ride to salvage the stage.

Stage four was the first of the 2013 Dakar’s long stages with competitors racking up 700km of riding on the last stage in Peru. The technical and dusty stage claimed even more victims but once again Simon rode strongly.

Sadly Simon’s efforts were merely a salvage mission as the Australian had to ride hard to make up for losing almost two hours due to an unfortunate mechanical error that saw the bike cease to run after just 16km of the special stage.

Taking time to diagnose the potential problems and trying to contact the team for advice on the situation, Simon dropped an hour behind the last motorcycle on stage and was behind the lead cars when he diagnosed the issue of a fuel tap not being turned on.

Despite this setback Simon pushed on hard, passing more than 50 bikes to pull himself up to an impressive 126th place on the stage. On the most physical and technical special stage of the rally yet, Simon and his Husqvarna TE 449 SPR excelled and showed some of the potential of the bike.

Don Hatton has also continued on to help Simon as part of assistance crew. Don’s collision with a truck on stage three saw his bike damaged extremely badly and the incident started a downward spiral that saw Don forced to retire in the early hours of the morning.

Simon Pavey – “It was a shame that we had the mistake today, it’s an unfortunate thing and sometimes these things happen. Despite the setback though, I had a great day. I loved the riding today, it was technical, physical and I rode really well.

I felt so at home on the bike, everything was working perfectly. Once I caught up to the last bike, riders started coming thick and fast. The more difficult nature of the day suited me and I was riding fast without trying. It was definitely the most fun stage of the race so far. I managed to pass six riders on one of the difficult climbs and there was a really steep, fast downhill that was superb.

Then we had a big liaison section, it was 430 km of slow going. We’re limited to 100km/h and the road was coastal and slow. It grated a lot and we didn’t get into until late today. Tomorrow should be a fun special stage though, it’s bikes only and in previous years they have been the most fun stages.”

On stage five the rally will cross over to Chile, but not without the competitors racing their final stage in Peru, a shorter 136km stage, before heading toward the town of Arica.

Stage Results
126th - 06:04:56

Overall Results
90th - 13:34:52

For the latest photos click HERE or paste http://www.simonpavey.com/galleries/ into you browser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard ORS View Post
Stage Five – Arequipa to Arica – 410km

The technical stage five provides a good result as the Delta Kunststoffe Husqvarna UK rider fights to put the previous stage behind him.

On paper the short stage five should have been one of the easier stages, but the technical riding, fesh fesh and rocks reveal it to be the toughest stage yet. Once again the stage claimed its victims as the bikes had their first ‘bike only’ stage of the rally.

Starting the stage behind 125 bikes and 30 quads, Simon pushed hard all day in the physical and dangerous riding to regain his position in the starting order. With technical nature of the riding requiring good line choice and careful navigation in the dust of the Fesh Fesh, Simon quickly found himself at home as he began to pass rider after rider.

Despite the stage being only 136km Simon’s clever and aggressive riding saw him pass around 50 vehicles and take an impressive 64th overall. Following the stage the riders headed south across the Chilean border on the spectacular Pan Americana.

Simon Pavey
“Wow today was hard! The stage was physical and technical. It was brutal really. Starting at the back of the field makes life so hard; the course is so bad by the time you get there the track is destroyed. The stage was dangerous today too. The fesh fesh was deep, littered with rocks and generally difficult to ride. We crossed a rock field that was 14km long and another gulley that had foot deep fesh fesh ruts.

I tried to ride smart today, even though I pushed on, I stayed out of the fesh fesh completely. Sometimes it cost me time but I’m not going to take the risk of pushing hard when I can’t see. There were so many boulders in the fesh fesh and it’s scary. Overall it was great fun though, the best riding is always technical and I had a really good day. It’s good to get back up the pack again as quickly as I have. The track really is much harder to ride at the back of the race.

It looks like the stage tomorrow will be difficult again. We have a really early start and a long stage ahead. Coupled with that loss of two hours sleep tonight, tomorrow is going to be really tiring.”

The caravan heads south from Arica to Calama tomorrow, with a painfully long stage of 769km for the competitors to enjoy. The stage is meant to be another difficult event, with even more of the dreaded fesh fesh.

Stage Results.
Simon Pavey – 64th - 02:25:11

Overall Results.

Simon Pavey – 79th - 16:00:03

Remember the latest photos can be found HERE or by pasting http://www.simonpavey.com/galleries/ into your browser

Pyndon '13