R.I.P
8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:45 AM   #8972
too old
Keen supporter

Oddometer: 2,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat View Post
Or, just to thicken the plot, with both engines out, did they "accidently" put the wrong engine in the bike, them standing right next to each other

This would be surprising, after all in the bivouac someone had to notice and complain
More likely Cyril thought the engine being good enough to finish the now short special, or swapping with a new one on the connection if possible
For our non Brits "tackle" is also another term for the landing gear, full set, or plain old balls and knob
too old is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #8973
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Hopefully before long the f5ers with sources will have news on the outcome of trannygate

waiting patiently ......
Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 AM   #8974
EKIN
Couch Junky Heaven

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Changing things and tyrannygate conjures up a lot more ideas though
We conjured up plenty last night. As Ned called out in his post, still amazing to see CDP ripping into his own bike...only Dakar.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #8975
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,455
A moment of silence at the start for fallen competitors would be a sweet thing to do.

I think the Kemal award should be a real thing, also.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #8976
too old
Keen supporter

[QUOTE=8340SU;20463050]
7 seconds of misery

(Thomas Bournin's bike destroyed)

That's a real mess RIP Thomas - any speculation on who didn't see who. If he was driving on the right (assuming they do in Chile) his bike is on his side of the road?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #8977
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
A moment of silence at the start for fallen competitors would be a sweet thing to do.

I second that.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:50 AM   #8978
EKIN
Couch Junky Heaven

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post

Pyndon shared they had a moment of silence last night at the biv.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #8979
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,917
Morning all.

What is it with all these conspiracy theories? So you have a photo of a dry cloudless, truck bivouac. Its 81.5 km as the crow fliews form the bike bivouac - I measured it. In the Andes at this time of you you get a lot of scattered thundershowers in the afternoons. They are more often than not very violent. Thats also why there was shitty helicopter footage yesterday - everyone was too scared to fly down the valley that Pavey talked about because of the high winds.

Check the footage from yesterday, you will see the clouds building up in the late morning and on the Fr4 coverage you could see dark clouds in the background behind the presenters. Lyndon told us it pissed down on him on the liaison and the bivouac. So its not unreasonable to assume it also rained 18km to the south of Cacha at the start of of SS8.

The organisers had the same problem last year on the fiambala stage, there was heavy rain and the course changed. You cannot put pilots on the course if the rains have washed new gullies and hazards everywhere, its simply too dangerous because like Aussie66 says people do actually ride to the road book. It has absolutely nothing to do with Cyrils problem.

About trannygate: I think everyone knows I am not too fond of Cyril and I have my reasons, but lets give him a break: His gearbox has an issue, and he was able to secure someone elses. I think thats remarkable given his reputation. It shows that all the hot air that no one would help him after mudgate was just that - hot air. So he changes the engine (himself) and loses 15 minutes. I respect that. I wonder if Coma would have done the same? I think maybe not. Despres made a decision to try and keep the snowball from getting bigger and now he is really going to have to pin it to catch the leaders. If he manages to pull this off, then he is undoubtedly the best in the world. The dice are loaded, it is going to make a great second half of the rally.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:54 AM   #8980
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKIN View Post
Pyndon shared they had a moment of silence last night at the biv.
I'm not hugely sentimental (just got some dust in my eye)
Old 01-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #8981
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,917
[QUOTE=too old;20463076]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8340SU View Post

7 seconds of misery

(Thomas Bournin's bike destroyed)

That's a real mess RIP Thomas - any speculation on who didn't see who. If he was driving on the right (assuming they do in Chile) his bike is on his side of the road?
Looks to me like the police car is way too far to the left....i.e. the police car could have swung out from behind a slower vehicle.

Condolences again to friends and family.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #8982
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post

About trannygate: I think everyone knows I am not too fond of Cyril and I have my reasons, but lets give him a break: His gearbox has an issue, and he was able to secure someone elses. I think thats remarkable given his reputation. It shows that all the hot air that no one would help him after mudgate was just that - hot air. So he changes the engine (himself) and loses 15 minutes. I respect that. I wonder if Coma would have done the same? I think maybe not. Despres made a decision to try and keep the snowball from getting bigger and now he is really going to have to pin it to catch the leaders. If he manages to pull this off, then he is undoubtedly the best in the world. The dice are loaded, it is going to make a great second half of the rally.

I am a fan of Cyril's, (As if you didnt know) and if he pulled off a motor swap than he simply remains close to the top in my estimation. That is really an all-around huge set of skills. Some high level shit, to ride like that, navigate, and if he pulls this off, he'll eat like a king. I would be impressed, is what I'm saying.

Talk about a purposeful look in the eye!

I really wonder how much was really done, engine wise.

Everyone else will take their fifteen minutes tomorrow, I presume? This race is not even remotely easy for the best. It aint over till the dead lady sings, etc.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #8983
Brodovitch
Team ⌘R

Oddometer: 3,171
Quote:
Morning Neil

good points on the weather. Re: Trannygate, have you got any official confirmation that he took the Orlen engine + the 15 minutes? Scouring the usual social media sources, I am not yet convinced. Maybe Nate + Flood can fill us in

Can't wait for the Special to start
Old 01-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #8984
too old
Keen supporter

Just while we are waiting, there was some chat about sending parts of Manuel's Mousse around the world - can't be done from Canada as they have no stamps left

The picture is the envelope that Ted's book arrived in Dubai in
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #8985
ararat
Dr. BMW and Mr KTM

Oddometer: 1,903
Quote:
I second that and hope you are right, look at robby gordon and the ample of effort he is pushing himself.
It ain't over till the fat lady screams and runs off the road.