Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #10471
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Well I have to take a 15min engine change penalty , my lap top hinge broke had to go to the backup ...to bad it's only a 10" screen... tiny touch screen so i can't type for shit
Old 01-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #10472
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Its a bluebull warning...maybe they caught wind you might be there with your camera again ?

White South African...just a guess

That's what I thought too but thought better of actually saying it!

MY BLOG
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #10473
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric678 View Post
Well I have to take a 15min engine change penalty , my lap top hinge broke had to go to the backup ...to bad it's only a 10" screen... tiny touch screen so i can't type for shit
Lowes. Couple of right angle brackets and some duct tape.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #10474
K2vodka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Rest day they said.

Giniel's crew taking care of the Toyota
Yeah! The box in the bottom right corner by the car stand says it all, "Endless."

That is what those 15 days must feel like... and possibly the months leading up to it.

I remember how a race weekend would feel like a week but it was only two or three days. Those few days are so full of experiences, often times emotional (the rush of physical forces, rubbing plastics with someone, or aggravation trying to fix something), it is hard to believe it was over less than 48 hours.

Love it!

I always found it funny and confusing when someone asked me, "How do you know to do that?"

If you want to know you learn. This is not rocket science! Logic should get you through most things... though electrical issues or something misinstalled... ahem, complicates things. Occam's razor.

Come on! If you are replacing parts a monkey can do it. Just don't be a "Too tight Tony" and strip things. Loc-tite is your friend and so is race wiring.
Whatever IT is.

www.GoCoffeeEnergy.com
K2vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #10475
ric678
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
Lowes. Couple of right angle brackets and some duct tape.

That constant bouncing down the road don't know how long that will last...the little one is ok, just nit so good for quick replies
Old 01-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #10476
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
From Geoff Olholm on Facebook:

Can someone explain to me how they righted it?! I'm guessing they couldn't just manually push it back over. Nobody helped them, they righted it themselves!
Interesting scenario there... they really spent SEVEN HOURS digging that bank away so they could pull it over with a rope?

A number of years ago when I was more involved with 4 wheels rather than 2, a lot of the 4x4 guys would use an air-bag jack, which would have made this sort of situation far easier - basically it is a large nylon reenforced bag that in the old days used to have a hose that connected to the exhaust pipe, later versions are more eco friendly and have a 12v air compressor to inflate it instead (and obviously in the 2WD race cars, it could even be inflated by the on-board tyre compressor).

Basically the bag was about 3 or 4 feet high when inflated, and strong enough to lift/tip a vehicle upwards, and only took a few minutes to inflate...

In the scenario in the photo above, the bag would be slid under the vehicle's side to lift it sufficiently for the wheels to touch the bank (if not far enough on the first attempt, sand could be piled under the raised vehicle and the bag repositioned to push it further), then the co-driver could attach a rope to the top of the door frame, helping to hold the vehicle onto the bank while the driver drove it off, and let the air-bag jack pop out from between the vehicle side and the ground... Don't scoff, I've seen it work!

I'm not sure how many car/truck crews carry one of these, but in the absence of a winch and ground anchor (which is hardly going to be fitted to a race car), these really are the quickest and easiest way to right a vehicle if there are no other vehicles around to give you a tug, particularly in sand.

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #10477
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drif10 View Post
You're also conversant in augiebonics.
Fear is a great motivator. Augie skeers me!!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #10478
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Its a bluebull warning...maybe they caught wind you might be there with your camera again ?

White South African...just a guess

South Efrican accent: "Come on now, men, you mustn't tork laak thet! Tuning other people laak thet - Its not pollitically correk, bru."

Seriously, can no one tell me what the lexicon WHITE SA really means? Experts like Rallye/Neduro/Hogwild/JMo & piglet?? .... It appears to be on the roadbook when there are HP sections and dunes get repeated quite bit. I saw it in a roadbook again on Eurosport tonight. :
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #10479
8340SU
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Cyril (with bandana) in english on the engine swap

8340SU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #10480
ironmtnracing
MotoQuest Seattle

Oddometer: 689
Great Job

Hey all,

Just thought I'd drop a post to say I've been following along. Haven't been able to stay as connected as I'd like but ADV has once again proved that when folks put their minds to something...anything is possible.

One stop shopping for all your Dakar (can I type that? ) info.

World wide contributions, inside sources, and the ear of the guy doing TV. Pretty impressive.

And when you think of the depth of expertise and experience of many contributing it's astounding. And as far as color commentating goes, well ADV has been famous on this front for years.

Missing TSC's contributions this year. That boy is funny.

Been watching since the start and the work has been so good any question I was thinking gets addressed before I can even get a post started.

Hope the news on Kurt holds true.

JC is a champ, no two ways about it

Robby, chump? I like his driving style but...geeze that guy knows how to dig himself into a hole. You think Kellon had anything to do with the section where he left the wash and into the dunes only to drop back into the wash?

Pyn....it won't surprise me a bit when...he gets to finish, pulls his jersey off and is wearing a Superman costume. He'll always have fan in me...we went through the finish check together at the B1K (well not exactly together....he went before me ) One of my favorite photos of the finish has is bald head smiling ear to ear in the background.

Got my fingers crossed for that Cheese kid. Hopefully Many's trials and tribulations have him enough connections at the bivy to keep him in this thing. God knows his heart's big enough to pull it off. Hoping they've gotten his TM squared away.

My heart is out to those affected by the losses this year. One thing you can say about Africa, nothing like SA in terms of non-race traffic. Sounding more and more like Baja. Hope this next week brings everyone to the finish safely.

Tomorrow looks gnarly! Hold on to your hats folks, it's gonna get REALLY good now!!!!

I'll be looking here for my updates.

Cheers.

John
ironmtnracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #10481
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,963
Quote:
Maybe tgey meant White Ca...White Castle a nasty burger joint here in the US

Got the muchies Ric ?

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #10482
K2vodka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by michalCCR View Post
Yes! Great shots! Thanks for sharing.
Whatever IT is.

www.GoCoffeeEnergy.com
K2vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #10483
Goofy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
And the rest of us will notice this how?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #10484
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
But you were always friendly, just assertive - and so you should have been. Regardless I always hoped you would get a bit of a mental boost from seeing a couple of fellow advriders in person.
And I did!

Comment was not aimed at you specifically (though after posting it, I was worried it would be interpreted that way)- it was endless, everywhere people were pushing past Dakar security.

The DSS was the place that I didn't like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd5774
I know the reasoning behind EFI with altitude compensation and more fuel economy so smaller tanks and then less weight on the bikes, but it would seem that every team running EFI has run into problems with it at some point, either minor problems or major!
All current development is in the area of FI. Can you imagine the press if Husky/ Honda were taking their FI systems off and installing carbs?

I'm grateful for it, when that stuff survives Dakar, it'll be ready for me to try on a backcountry bike.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #10485
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 584
Well I stayed up for Eurosport, that was a waste!

Anyway caught up again and now it's time for the bivouac!

Got work tomorrow, they still don't seem to understand that the Dakar is more important

MY BLOG
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote